Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5

Exhaust for noobs

Hey guys,

Not THAT great with exhausts but i am currently looking to get an Exhaust installed for an Honda Integra Exhaust DC5. It is only a Semi Automatic Stock DC5 2002 model. I am looking at getting a catback exhaust installed at 'Dandy Exhausts' in melbourne and they charged 380$ with supply and install. First question i would want to know is would the exhaust they create provide any power at all more to my car or i have known for some exhausts to actually decrease torque or power to cars.

If anybody can help me that would be great and i am also open to any suggestions!

Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Hi, in general you are trying to remove any restriction in your exhaust - ideally it'd be a perfectly sized straight pipe of the correct length.

Also see: (regarding power/torque loss )
    http://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum...ts-wrong-3064/
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5
    Oh right, and a straight pipe = catback right? I currently can't afford a full exhaust as it will set me back over 1k. ( i may get a full exhaust down the track though )
    So right now im only looking for the catback

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Of course - but by straight i meant no bends.

The same theory still applies - do your catback at the right diameter and choose your components carefully based on your preference on sound vs performance (i'd personally go for nicer/deeper/quieter sound on a street driven car.. some would call me crazy).

You also need to be aware that you have the integra luxury model, with the intake-only-vtec, is it worth going for a full exhust later when you know you'll still get cleaned up by a dc5r? but that's up to you to decide.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Straight pipe can be talking about the design shape of the piping's path, the straighter the piping, the more efficient the exhaust is. Straight pipe can be also referring to a catback that has no resonators meaning its very loud.

Catback is the term giving to the piping and muffler/cannon tip from the Catalytic Converter [CAT] onwards.

Correct diameter and length are part of the equation for power and torque, you need to see the bends and shape, how they affect the flow/velocity, scavenger effect, etc...

Check around other exhaust sites such as HKS, Fujitisubo, 5Zigen, Blitz, Trust/Greddy, etc to give you an idea what the usual pipe diameter and tips are. Go too big on small NA engines and watch your performance disappear. A little backpressure is needed for torque production on small NA engines.

Anyway best to ask the exhaust shop what they're supplying you:

Is it stainless steel or mild steel? [Longivity, looks, weight]
    Are they crush bent or mandrel bent? [performance and durability?]
    Flush against the body or hanging low? [Clearance]
    Is it a muffler tip or cannon tip? [Muffler in general less noisy and less noticeable by authorities [Less headaches with police], Cannons are noisy and a police magnet]

Some questions to ask before giving them the nood

$380 supply and installed I would say they're mild steel & crush bent...

As for performance increase, don't expect it to gain as much on a small efficient NA compared to a turbo...

NB: Curtis beat me to it lolz
    Last edited by DreadAngel; 04-02-2013 at 06:30 PM.
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5
    Hmm.. Yep, i know Type R would absoloutely kill me. I don't mind. Im not really looking for something TOO quick as im not going to do any other performance mods to the car other than the exhaust. So i should ask these questions before i go.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Dandy are pretty good,I wouldnt worry too much

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5
    Have you gone their before?? What would you reccomend i say to them. I know i went there a few weeks ago and he said he could do a 2 and a quarter inch exhaust catback but what he said after that i couldnt really remember. Is there anything in particular i should ask for or that you reccomenend i do. I do also remember him asking me what tip i wanted and from what i've read i'd rather go with the muffler rather than cannon. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Yeah I know quite a few gone there. Since its a standard car and not performance they will just do a basic sports exhaust,its mainly for a bit of sound and not going to gain much power

They would use a generic rear muffler and weld on a tip of your choice

I would advise get a brand name rear muffler and have the rest of the piping custom made

and no,not a cannon

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5
    Ahh ok well yeah thats fine. So it will improve performance right and will not actually decrease power or torque? as i have read around where sometimes this can happen.

also, the bigger the tip of the exhaust, would it produce more sound?

Because i want an exhaust from their that will sound deep and is mid-loud. But mainly something that sound really deep rather than that bad noise i hear from some exhausts that sound like farts. Do you think they'd be able to do that?
    Last edited by aspirin_ash7; 04-02-2013 at 07:24 PM. Reason: adding more info

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5
    What is a brand name rear muffler you would reccomend, and how much would this cost?

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Magnaflow,Lukey

or you can look to japanese brands but the price will be more