Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1994 accord exi

Talking Auto transmission problem

Hi all,

I've just bought my 1st Honda after driving Fords for years, and i love it.
    I got an auto 94 Accord Exi, done 270,000km. It's in pretty good physical condition aside from squeaky windows and busted speakers...and filthy carpet.
    Just before i bought it, it had all fluids and belts replaced, has no leaks, and it came with a RWC (despite having borderline tyres).

Not ever having driven a 4cyl before, nor a Honda, i am not sure how the drive is supposed to feel 'normally'. But i think there is something going on with the transmission.

1) Until i'm in 3rd gear, it really feels like the car struggles to pick up speed. I suppose it's more noticeable when the car is cold, but in general it still seems to struggle.

2) It will occasionally suddenly rev really hard - nearly up to 4K - usually when going from 1st to 2nd gear. It's not all the time, but it's often enough to be annoying. It seems to do it most often when i'm accelerating out of a turn.

3) It's pretty thirsty. Replacing the tyres (on front only so far) and using 98 percent (as opposed to basic unleaded) seems to help. I mostly do commuting in it, but it seems to use the same amount of fuel even if it's freeway driving. Is this normal?

I've had a look through the forums already, and have tried a few suggestions - i've looked at the shift cable, and it looks pretty clean / new-ish. I've also tried an ATF additive that's supposed to help.
    I suspect that it's just been filled with crappy non-honda ATF. Is my best bet to just drain it and fill it with the honda stuff?
    Or should i just bite the bullet and take it to a Honda place to have them look it over?

Thanks - all help is appreciated!

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Make a vid of you driving the car from stop to start
    Do you drive in D3 or D4
    When the car is cold do you 'floor it' or let it warm up
    Does the car 'clunk' or make any weird noises
    The low fuel economy is attribute to the car being almost 20 years old
    Seals leaking, not holding compression, clogged egr ports, dirty fuel injectors etc.
    Can't expect it to be as fuel effecient as nowaday cars
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

•CRX• represent Array
    Car:
    CRX+CBR250RR
    dont bother taking it to Honda they will burn a nice hole in the wallet.

despite it having a RWC i would still think you go over it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Brumm View Post
    1) Until i'm in 3rd gear, it really feels like the car struggles to pick up speed. I suppose it's more noticeable when the car is cold, but in general it still seems to struggle.
    Thats beacuse VTI and VTI-S have VTEC engine. The VTEC engine in the Accord is design more for fuel economy than power.

Exi's don't have vtec but in terms of fuel economy they seem alright.

2) It will occasionally suddenly rev really hard - nearly up to 4K - usually when going from 1st to 2nd gear. It's not all the time, but it's often enough to be annoying. It seems to do it most often when i'm accelerating out of a turn.
    Transmission slip?

3) It's pretty thirsty. Replacing the tyres (on front only so far) and using 98 percent (as opposed to basic unleaded) seems to help. I mostly do commuting in it, but it seems to use the same amount of fuel even if it's freeway driving. Is this normal?
    Auto's will go thru more fuel than manual it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by as mention by others
    I drive it every day to work and from work back home as well everywhere else doing something like 400km/week. It uses around 10 liters per 100 km (it would have been less if it wasn't auto).

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    I had an Exi model like yours Brumm, @ 4000 rpm the butterflys in the throttle body open up and your car screams to life
    Get a 3/8" drive, jack/jack stands, Honda ATF DW-1 and do a transmission fluid change

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1994 accord exi
    I tried making a vid, but of course it drove fine whenever i was recording. D'Oh!
    I drive in D4. I generally try to drive pretty gentle to conserve fuel, but the car seems to perform better when i am a little more aggressive on the accelerator.
    The only 'clunk' i ever hear is occasionally when going from reverse into drive or vice versa. It's not bad, although there is a little lag (like 2 seconds) before it engages.
    I put some injector cleaner in the tank, but i'm honestly unsure if that actually made any difference.
    After some investigating, turns out my fuel consumption is about what it should be... i suppose i'm just used to driving on gas!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1994 accord exi
    Also, Snoop: It doesn't feel like a tranny slip... i've seen my fair share of those! The current revving is weird. It almost feels like it's sticking between gears: It only revs for a second. The needle jumps up and drops straight away, then everything carries on as if nothing happened. During the rev, the accelerator loses all resistance, as if the car was neutral.

I suppose i'll just have to suck it up and change the ATF completely. *sigh*

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Cant change atf completely, can only do 1/3 at a time

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1994 accord exi
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasemas View Post
    Cant change atf completely, can only do 1/3 at a time
    Why only 1/3 at a time? I've drained a little before in order to add the ATF lubricant. Seems like it would be easy to let it all out. Would i cause damage if i emptied it entirely before refilling?

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Because of how the transmission is made
    When you empty the ATF only 2.5 litres comes out
    As the other 2/3 are held in the wet clutch packs of the transmission

So if you want to do a 'full' change you'll need about 9 litres of ATF DW-1 which will set you back at about $160
    So what you do is
    Change ATF - drain, fill up
    Drive around
    Engage ALL GEARS - find a quite place and drive it up all through the gears (60 km/h should get you engaging the torque converter)
    Then let the engine declerate to 0km/h congratz you've changed your ATF
    Now repeat this process 2 more times and feel the smoothness of your AUTO for only a while longer... then back to crunching

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    I'm just gonna come out and say it, but with that amount of km on it, and it seemeing to be in less than premium condition when you bought it, id say its just mechanical wear and tear.

No amount of fluid changes will help you.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1994 accord exi
    Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    I'm just gonna come out and say it, but with that amount of km on it, and it seemeing to be in less than premium condition when you bought it, id say its just mechanical wear and tear.

No amount of fluid changes will help you.
    I did have this thought, but i've driven way older cars (with more km on the clock) that were ok, so i'm hoping this is something that can be fixed. Worth a shot, anyway!

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Dont get me wrong, currently im driving a VS commodore auto v6 with over 300k on the clock, and its still a dream, because its had regular maintenance.

Now imagine that the fluid change it had before you bought it was the first fluid change it had in like 100k kms, and replacing all fluids so they were fresh was a sneaky way to make it look like it was maintained...
    to see all of my build, checkout