Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Account Disabled Array

Hondata Flashpro now working on AUDM Honda Civic FD's R18

With the recent success of Steve's R18 Turbocharged Civic FD running a Hondata Flashpro, it now makes a preferred option for ECU management for other Honda Civic FD owners

The Hondata Flashpro conversion on Steve's car wasn't all that straight forward. There was a lot of misconception of information out on the web and especially with cars using it in Canada. Reading and getting the right information wasn't all that easy. Some people said we might need to change the instrument cluster and immobilisers control unit etc etc. So im creating this thread to give you guys the facts!!

The BYP Team took the gamble and an order a used US R18 ECU (You will need the right code ending ECU to work with the US Hondata Flashpro). The risk with the US ECU is making sure all the pinout was the same with the Australian vehicles and with the help with a few people, we were able to double check the ECU pin for pin. To our surprised 95% of the pin were identical, there was some pins that were extra on the AUS ECU and vice versa for the US ECU. But these extra or missing pins weren't detrimental to the operation of the car

The first important step was to get the US ECU working on the FD. With assistance from our good mate from Honda, with his trusty Honda tool, we were to successfully reprogram the immobiliser and get the ECU to communicate WITHOUT the need to change anything else. Don't be scare when the engine light is on when you start the car with the US ECU. The US cars runs extra EVAP and emissions sensors which our Australian FD don't. With the use of the Hondata Flashpro, we were able to remove the engine light by disabling these features.

Since Steve's Civic FD was a 2010 model, Honda decided not run an Oil Pressure sensor on the Vtec solenoid. Consequently, since the US ECU was an 2006, this sensor was still implemented. As a result, the check engine light was still on showing this code.
    There is two way around this, either to purchase a new Oil Pressure sensor from Honda or get an vtec solenoid with this oil pressure sensor. Due to time constraints, the BYP Team opted to find a second hand vtec solenoid from an 2006 Civic FD. The sensor also needed to be wired in. (3 wires - 5v power, signal and ground). After its successfully wired in, the check engine light disappeared. The US ECU with the Flashpro is NOW working 100%

Hondata Flashpro base calibration are good base to start from. It has all sorts of calibration for all type of modification, from bolton mods to TSI turbo set-up. Dyno tuning is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

The car drives very well, idles like stock, smooth transition between RPM's.

I hope this thread will help other Australian FD owners in the near future with their builds. If your doing bolt-ons mods or a turbo kit conversion, I highly recommend you to consider the Hondata Flashpro as your preferred choice of ECU management
    Last edited by Benson; 24-02-2013 at 10:21 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    so would this be the same for a 2011 AUS civic fd2 sport k20???

i'd love to be able to run a hondata flash pro & have my wifes car tuned, for better drivability since iv had a exhaust and intake fitted

Account Disabled Array
    I believe the same process will be required for the FD2

Member Array
    Car:
    FD1
    We can't use FlashPro on the AUS ECU?

Member Array
    Car:
    FD1-RR 2.7
    Thats right Mikey, we got an ECU from a wrecked USA R18 for it to work. Flashpro made by Hondata and has never been calibrated to work on Non USA R18 Civics.

The Canadians were the first to discover that an ECU swap would allow Flashpro to work with their cars. As my Turbo was already installed and we changed tuning direction I ended up paying a slight premium as I needed my to get my car back on the road. Obviously there are thousands of wrecked honda's in the US and the ECU would normally be cheap as chips.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2 N/A what?
    Stevil. Still no pics?!
    i live my life full boost, one gear at a time.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD1-RR 2.7
    Xenon massive drama, my HD drive failed on my ultrabook and I lost all my car pics ( I back every thing up but my car pics !!), I have a few pics on camera SD cards so I need to dig em out, my brother took a bunch of photo's at Wakefield yesterday so I will get some shit happening in the next days or so !

Ultrabook SSD ... they'll be goneeeee ... if you saved them on an SD card and haven't formatted it or used it much you can recover some photos which haven't been "written over" per-say.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD1-RR 2.7
    Yeah I was suprised when the ACER Techie basically said when the SD goes kiss good by to everything !! thou I dont know if thats the rule 100% of the time, lesson learnt !

Quote Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
    Yeah I was suprised when the ACER Techie basically said when the SD goes kiss good by to everything !! thou I dont know if thats the rule 100% of the time, lesson learnt !
    Its just the way SSDs work ... They technically have a longer life then regular disc hard drives, but are almost impossible to recover should anything go wrong with them, regular disc hard drives you may get some chances but even then its rare.

What I also meant is that if you have taken say 50 photos but since you copied them to your computer you just deleted them on the SD card not formatted it or used it much since, they'll still be on there, just not visible ... You can restore those ones.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic Sedan
    1 word. Acer.

stance > fenders

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic FD1 R18A1
    Hi Stevil,
    I have 2006 Civic FD1 R18A1 6MT for EU market LHD, made in Japan. I have made ECU swap like you with USDM R18 Civic 5MT. As you told everything was ok, except only the EVAP sensor as my Civic is 2006.
    BUT after swap when I've took my car to test it for a while I 've found out that while I drive the car I can't shift in 5th gear and when I try to shift to 6th gear it's go against the reverse and it was a terrible scrape.
    It's turn out that gear box is ok and I can shift 5th and 6th gear, but I have to be carefull gear shift not to go in end right position because shifter pass to 5th speed rail and goes against the reverse.
    This is very uncomfortable and can always lead to wrong gear shifting and damage the gear box.
    Did you have this problem after swap, is it yours Civic with 6MT or 5MT? There is another guy made this swap and no report for problem like mine.
    Could this be a coincidence with some other problem after swap. I read the service manual for Reverse Lockout System 6MT and I'm afraid if the ECU from 5MT Civic can't control REVERSE LOCKOUT SOLENOID.
    I plan to supercharge the car and tunning it with Hondata, but if this problem is from the ECU I have to solve it or forget the project.
    Have you any idea about this problem?

Thank you in advance,
    Niko.
    Last edited by nickless; 27-05-2014 at 06:51 AM.