Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    s2000 / CL9

cam shafts... stock or aftermarket??? TODA?

Hey guys. i have a 2005 AP2.

its currently in a million pieces atm but parts waiting to go in before tune are:
    HKS headers, Berk cat, J's 70 RS, Password JDM carbon intake.

this will be getting tuned but i want to know if its worth putting a cam in it??

if so what cam do people recommend?? Might run an AEM EMS computer but am not at that stage yet

will be a track car as well as a sunday street car.
    want reliability...

any thoughts welcome!!

cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM S15
    if you've got the money, why not?

Search around for recommendation on cam sizing, afterall you don't want to go too big if you still want it to be a nice street car [big cams = high/lump idle, lack of low-mid range torque/power which the F20C already lacks of, depending on aggressiveness might need to increase redline therefore stress on valvetrain and internals = $$$ to upgrade parts] then again mild cams don't give that much peak power increase though they generally do improve the car overall.
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000 / CL9
    Yeh im trying to get an idea of what to do. I didnt really want to raise the redline bar as i do drive this thing quite hard every time im in it... and i still want the reliability.
    i guess i was hoping for a good all rounder cam.... might be asking for the impossible.

How bad is the idle on these big cams.... is it still drive-able on the street.... or would it be a pain?
    never driven a honda with an after market cam...

really im trying to chase a bit more power... im not expecting the world but i want a bit more out of her.
    just dont know if all this trouble is worth it if its only minimal gains...

i dont mind changing valve springs if i have to and or valves....

thanks dreadangel
    Last edited by philipminge; 01-03-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000 / CL9
    dreadangel - what experience have you had with cams? have u every used any aftermarket cams? worth the trouble?

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM S15
    on an s2000, not worth the trouble, save your money, and go Forced induction if you want gains.. Every component of the s2000 was designed to work at its best from factory. only FI will give you noticeable gains.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000 / CL9
    thanks for your input ALPS. this car will never get any form of FI. not looking for those types of gains... BC cams claim 13whp untuned and 20whp tuned.... those kind of gains are all im chasing.

im 100% staying NA. bloody honda, they made these cars too good... too hard to improve.

just dont know if BC cams are worth it or would it be better to go toda. jsut looking for input at this stage. cheers.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S2000
    Hey mate, there where some threads on BC cams from the states.
    The only question is if you think the $$$ is worth the gain.. Dont forget you will need Ti springs for the cams also..

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000 / CL9

bc

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BCStg2CamsDyno.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	264.9 KB 
ID:	24204

these are stage 2 cams.

so stage 2 cams with a spring and retainers kit. and a tune.

if i got gains like that i would be happy!

are BC cams good though? and will the be suitable for track use? cant see much going wrong but just want to make sure im buying something that are quality....
    Last edited by philipminge; 01-03-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S2000
    BC are quality. There where a set of nearly new ones on ebay about 3 months ago, they went for around 300. Those gains are probably with a full ECU. All up your porbably talking atleast 3000 worth of parts and labour. 100 bucks per horsepower.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000 / CL9
    the labour will be done by me and my mechanic. but yeah its still pretty expensive. well its either that or Hytech and they are even more!
    but the gain differences on the BC may only be single digits....

why was the guy selling his second hand ones..... do you know?