Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

V8 Supercars 2013

Anyone else watch the V8's yesterday in Adelaide? Poor Merc's & Nissan's didn't stand a chance. Congrats to Lowndes for his 90th race win.

Watched little bits and pieces while playing some FM4 over lunch.

Ch7 claimed Erebus M had only 3.5mths to turn out 3 E63 AMGs into race cars? They actually didn't too bad both Merc & Nissan considering that they're working on basically untested race cars.

11th Nissan [Rick Kelly] +8 spots
    14th Nissan [James Moffat] 0 spots
    15th Mercedes-Benz [Tim Slade] +9 spots
    17th Mercedes-Benz [Lee Holdsworth] +6 spots
    23th Nissan [Michael Caruso] -10 spots [Issues with car IIRC]
    24th Mercedes-Benz [Maro Engel] +4 spots [Issues with car]

Not a bad showing, I did watch the segment about this 'Car of the future', they've made some critical changes to the cars so its more modern. I'm now just waiting for the engine to change... Hahaha
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    Both mercedes and nissan are running their own engines. Its only ford and holden that are using the old ohv motors
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Was it only Holdsworth Merc that was having trouble with the firewall being so hot?

Interesting to see what Nissan can do in the v8s this year.

Quote Originally Posted by stndrd View Post
    Both mercedes and nissan are running their own engines. Its only ford and holden that are using the old ohv motors
    Thanks for the clarification stndrd, are there any noticable differences between them and the OHV motors?

Quote Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
    Was it only Holdsworth Merc that was having trouble with the firewall being so hot?
    Holdsworth Merc was extraordinary but a few other drivers were being cooked too... 60 inside cabin, 90+ on the accelerator pedal ><

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    Nissan are using a de stroked (down to 5L to keep in line with supercar rules) version of the v8 used in the r35 in GT3 (not Super GT like i said before i edited)

In regards to the Merc, i am not 100% on what v8 is being used.

The main difference between the old style holden/ford and the nissan v8 is that the nissan v8 is a quad cam 32 valve set up with, i presume, some form of vct and more modern design features.

I will have a look a bit later for more info once i get on my laptop
    Last edited by stndrd; 03-03-2013 at 10:25 PM.
    Kermit EGK20A

Hmmmm, perhaps Nissan used previously VRH50A [650PS+] instead of stroking the currently used VRH34A [530PS+]... I'm 'guessing' the VRH50A was then modified to meet the Supercar specs if there were any to meet?

Those that are interested, here are some Car of the Future [COTF] info:
    So, what’s different about a 2013 COTF car versus a current V8 Supercar?

• Chassis design and specification will now be fixed. All chassis to be dimensionally identical, but different accredited vehicle builders can construct them.
    • Engine is mounted 100mms further back and down. Protects engine in case of frontal impact and improves weight distribution.
    • Increase in wheel and tyre size to 18-inch provide by Dunlop. Bigger brakes can therefore also be fitted.
    • Windscreen becomes polycarbonate. It’s 250 times stronger than glass.
    • Collapsible steering column with collapsible section in the engine bay, rather than the cabin.
    • Different transmission, moving to a transaxle, which incorporates the differential and gearbox in one assembly.
    • Adoption of IRS (Independent Rear Suspension) with control pickup points and a control specification of uprights and wishbones.
    • Fuel cell moved further forward in the car to protect from rear impacts.
    I'll keep trying to find out more...

EDIT: Here
    Last edited by DreadAngel; 03-03-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    Here are some links about Merc &amp; Nissan engines.

Merc:
    http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/DA6D0AF7994F6660CA257ABD007BA513

Nissan:
    http://www.v8x.com.au/index.php/news/9-news/518-nissan-unveils-vk56de-v8-supercar-engine
    Last edited by stndrd; 03-03-2013 at 10:24 PM.
    Kermit EGK20A

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Nissan is using a destroked version of the new Patrol V8. Quad cam, 32 Valve, timing chain, coil on plug, using an 8 throttle body setup like the holdens and fords, with a throttle cable. like stndrd said, its pretty much the motor that was used in the GT1 GTR.

Merc is using a destroked version of the 6.2 litre used in the SLS GT3 car. However a few variations on the proven formula, theyll be using a flat plane crank rather than a cross plane, which gives them that very european sounding high pitched scream rather than a deep rumble. This thing also has quad cam, coil on plug, but unlike the others, it uses a plenum with only dual throttle bodies, and features drive by wire.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    As for the temps, they were all copping it, but there must be something with the way the exhaust is routed in the mercs that places the exhaust closer to the floor.

Holdsworth was the only one that felt it because Engel had problems with the ecu/drive-by-wire and slade had the gbox probs, so holdsworth was the only one to get a decent run out of it.

Onto race discussion.

Awesome to see Lowndes get his 90th win, the next one will be a biggie, thatll make him the most winningest driver in aussie touring car history.

Also good to see Tekno beat the stranglehold that 888 and FPR had on the race victories (even though its an 888 built chassis lol) and even though its a dog act what SVG did to stonebros/erebus, Ive been a fan since he won his first races back in 2011, and its awesome to see him in a Holden. Car had genuine pace, he is an awesome driver, id like to see him up there with the greats some day.

Alex Premat, the frenchman. Terrible last season, i think the fact that the cars feel more like proper race cars means he will smash it this year, as can be seen is his performance in quali on both days.
    to see all of my build, checkout

This kinda sums up Nissan's weekend

(Couldn't find a photo so as a visual representation)

Erebus commented on issues with FBW & lack of straight line speed? But I <3 the engine note =D

Kelly Motorsport on the Nissan haven't found anything yet...