Member Array
    Car:
    1997 EK1 HATCH

D series TURBO CIVIC fans, help?

I just bought a spare D16Y4 engine/ gearbox (i needed the gearbox) and i always wanted my civic to be fast but since its my daily driver, i didint had much choice really. But now with this spare D series engine (done just over 200,000kms) I was thinking how much is it to put a turbo on it with forged pistons/ conrods, better camshaft, maybe piston chambers boored, etc.
    Anyway how much did your turbo converison costed you? And how much boost you are running?
    Next year have my other car for sale for around $4000 at least, then there my weekly money towards civic i just started doing ($75) but not every week. So my value would be around $5500 i can spend and how much psi approx I may get.

Cheers,

Noobest Civic fan, Adam

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    On my mates stock d series.engine...
    We bought a ebay turbo kit that had a cast manifold

With only 2psi and everythig.completly stock.including injectors.and computer it.made a healtgy 83kw at wheels

The best thing about it...
    It.only cost $1500 all.up including the dyno runs...lol

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    Low comp forged pistons & rods $900
    New bearings $150
    gasket kit $200
    ARP head bolts $150
    Used hondata S200 + conversion kit $500
    Recondition head $250
    Hone and assemble block $300-500
    decent turbo kit $2000-$3000
    Injectors $200-300
    walbro fuel pump $140
    fluids & misc items $300
    exhaust $800
    Cam springs with retainers $300
    Camshaft $400

these are rough estimates but as you can see parts start to add up quickly.

Go for a stock rebuild, these motors can handle about 150kw on the stock rods.
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    1997 EK1 HATCH
    Quote Originally Posted by grifty View Post
    Low comp forged pistons & rods $900
    New bearings $150
    gasket kit $200
    ARP head bolts $150
    Used hondata S200 + conversion kit $500
    Recondition head $250
    Hone and assemble block $300-500
    decent turbo kit $2000-$3000
    Injectors $200-300
    walbro fuel pump $140
    fluids & misc items $300
    exhaust $800
    Cam springs with retainers $300
    Camshaft $400

these are rough estimates but as you can see parts start to add up quickly.

Go for a stock rebuild, these motors can handle about 150kw on the stock rods.
    S**t haha, so how good are the D series with turbos like how much boost can i get with a stock re-build thats still good for both racing? Or just get a turbosmart computer.. thing (i am new to these turbo set-up, but will have a mate of mine who loves turbos) that adjusts boost whenever you feel like it

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    That would be an electronic boost controller you are talking about. TBH I would get a low KM and clean engine to save $$$ on rebuilding. A D16Y4 with under 100k kms can be had for about $200 these days.

It would be fun with 150kw atw, thats the maximum power the stock rods can take. Boost pressure I would stay below 10psi, but people have pushed further on stock rods.

Join up D-series.org, every 2nd build thread is pretty much turbo lol, lots of good information on there.
    OEM parts whore

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    150KW ATW is too much. They can take that much at the engine, at the most. Wheels you're probably safer at 120KW.

Personally for your budget I'd just turbo your D and maybe even have one as a spare. There's no real need to modify internals unless you want to chase 140kw+ and then you'll start having traction issues IMO. 120kw for a daily driven civic is fine and fun.

The OEM compression ratio is good for boost anyway. No real need to lower it, not worth the money unless the engine NEEDS a rebuild with your budget in mind. Wouldn't even bother with the camshaft either, just add more boost. Most turbos will handle your 120kw limit without the need for internal mods.

Member Array
    Car:
    RB1 & GTR33V
    Back in my days a mate of mine had a D16Y4 fully built motor (top to bottom) running a GT28 BB snail tuned on EMS ecu, with accel external single digital ignition system, 3in zorst ran a healthy 225fwkw @ 17psi boost daily..

They even ran it on avgas @ 28psi and it pulled over 260+fwkw.

Fuel lines were upgraded and a surge tank fuel system pumping through twin bosch FP..

And the best thing about it - it was fitted in a 90 Mitsubishi Lancer CB GSR!!

Now thats power + sleeper = frankenstein...

Was published on hot4's magz issue 84...

The amount of torque steer and the look on R32/33/180/200sx/Sti faces = priceless.. Ahhahahaha
    RB1-ODC

223ks on the clock stock as a rock td04h turbo chrome chipped and tune at 147kw ... built it for $1200nz dollars if u dont believe me well to bad lol i got pictures of it and dyno sheet at home

Member Array
    Car:
    RB1 & GTR33V
    ^^thats pretty good numbers for a TD04.. My other mates DY16 with same turbo, unichip piggy, FPR, Rx7 injectors, stock internals only made around 135fwkw.. I guess depends on age of motor and tuning..
    RB1-ODC

Member Array
    Car:
    1997 EK1 HATCH
    Well the engine I bought done just over 200,000kms,yet still good and strong i may as well rebuild it cause I would use it for racing. So basically I am looking at at the moment is around $6500 (rebuild engine, decent turbo, exhaust system, alloy radiator, maybe oil cooler...) Or just sell my civic and buy a car thats already turbo'd :/ haha