Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    no weetek civic

Built b18c2 vs H2B

I always planned to go H2B with my EK, but I came into possession of a b18c2, and now I'm torn as to what road to go down.

I leaned towards a H2B swap, because a K was just crazy expensive and I figured why not? Dilemma is now, should I instead stick with the b18 I have sitting in my garage? I really only planned on building a quick streeter that I could take to the track and just generally have fun with and the h2b fit the bill really well, nice torque, decent power, and quick mated to a b series tranny.

Building the b18 (sleeves, cams, valve train, rods etc) would be a long winded road, but would it prove to be more cost effective versus a h2b swap? It's a bit difficult to word my plans, but I need opinions from both sides of the fence, from people who have had experience with both, and can give me pros and cons of both set ups.

Thank you.

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    Both set ups have good potential but when you look at dollar vs power gains, they both really start to add up. K24 swaps can be done for not much more than a h2b set up in an eg or ek so it is definately worth looking at
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic Eg
    really not that much price difference between h2b and basic k24 like stndrd said
    Like my POST? why not add it with a +REP point!

Member Array
    Car:
    91 ED9 CRX
    H2B will smoke a b18c

Member Array
    Car:
    no weetek civic
    Quote Originally Posted by stndrd View Post
    Both set ups have good potential but when you look at dollar vs power gains, they both really start to add up. K24 swaps can be done for not much more than a h2b set up in an eg or ek so it is definately worth looking at
    Quote Originally Posted by jayeg View Post
    really not that much price difference between h2b and basic k24 like stndrd said
    Quote Originally Posted by gen2 CRX View Post
    H2B will smoke a b18c

but what about installing? it wouldnt be as sort of straight forward as the b or h would it?

or should i just sell the b18c2 engine and pick up a h22 and call it a day?
    Last edited by carayan; 16-03-2013 at 03:59 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    B is the easiest to fit. Then personally i would say k then h
    Kermit EGK20A

Member Array
    Car:
    no weetek civic
    B is the easiest to fit. Then personally i would say k then h
    Doesn't a k swap have a lot of fab work involved?

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek4_cxi_type_R
    H swap should be the one that has more fab work than K.
    Last edited by joyride; Today at 07:26 AM. Reason: Ask for permission if you're going to use someone elses pic

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    K swap stuff is mass produced amd readily available and the touch of a button
    Kermit EGK20A

Member Array
    Car:
    no weetek civic
    Quote Originally Posted by PHO View Post
    H swap should be the one that has more fab work than K.
    K swap stuff is mass produced amd readily available and the touch of a button
    i mean in terms of welding to the chassis, that's some serious stuff, after what you all said, i found a k24 i could get, but the work involved is scaring me, plus the parts required to make it run and paying someone an exorbitant amount to do it for me is out of the question.

tough lyf.
    Last edited by carayan; 16-03-2013 at 06:59 PM.

Account Disabled Array
    H2B swap isnt really worth it. Yes its 2.2L and can make some decent hp stock motor, but getting a/c and p/s to fit will be a challenge.

Is your current car B series swap? Built b18c depending how far you mean "built" will net around 150-160kw (expect no less change from 8k) which then will require drivetrain to be upgraded as well.

K20 swap will be more of a popular choice, there is no real cutting or welding required in a EK chassis.
    Last edited by joyride; 16-03-2013 at 08:52 PM. Reason: No advertising unless you're a trader

Member Array
    Car:
    no weetek civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    H2B swap isnt really worth it. Yes its 2.2L and can make some decent hp stock motor, but getting a/c and p/s to fit will be a challenge.

Is your current car B series swap? Built b18c depending how far you mean "built" will net around 150-160kw (expect no less change from 8k) which then will require drivetrain to be upgraded as well.

K20 swap will be more of a popular choice, there is no real cutting or welding required in a EK chassis.
    At the moment, I've got the good old D16Y4 torque monster. The B series engine is the one I have that I was going to drop in. I had allocated about 5k (over time) to build it up, so nothing super crazy, but respectable. The K20 swap would be too expensive for me, even after selling the b18, i'd need at least 2-3k on top just for the engine..
    Last edited by carayan; 16-03-2013 at 11:17 PM.