Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 06

[CL9] Disc Read Error & Air Conditioning Issue

Hi Guys,

I purchased a second hand 2006 Honda Accord Euro (Luxury) about 6 months ago from a private seller. Recently a few problems have arisen.

Disc Read Error: My SatNav is having issues. Sometimes it works fine for a few minutes, then comes up with "Disc Read Error. Please consult your dealer" and stops working. This issue has been getting worse and I have noticed that the frequency of the error messages has increased over time, with it now coming up within 30 seconds. Previously it didn't even occur on some trips. Clearly it is degenerating. Please note: This was working quite well (although I barely touched it) before I started using a burnt copy of the latest maps as sold on this forum. I don't see how this could have affected it, but I thought I had better write that down too.

Air Conditioning: My passenger side air conditioning is approx 5 degrees cooler than the air coming out of the driver's side vents. This isn't the worst issue until it's a stinking hot day and the warm air just doesn't cut it. Probably not an issue I will invest serious money into unless it is an easy fix, as I can live with shutting my vents off and directing the passenger side towards me.

Thanks for any advice guys.
    Last edited by Jastone; 20-03-2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Forgot that the eject button for the sat nav is different to the eject button for the CD player. Woops.

Member Array
    Car:
    vtack+non-vtak
    That disc read error is ur fault. Using a burnt copy u dont know at what speed its burnt at. Thats why the disc keeps giving you errors.

Best bet is to make another copy of the burnt disc. but this time when you burn it, burn it at the LOWEST speed possible and verify after burn.

Try your old nav disc again? That would rule out the issue being the unit vs the disc although lasers do work harder to read burned discs as opposed to pressed discs but I think in this case it would be negligible.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 06
    Before you have a go at me 'cheapdouchebag' (and FYI peetah), I have tried using a second burnt disc that the seller provided me, as well as the original satnav disc (older version) to no avail. The burnt discs that I bought off these forums were burnt at the lowest speed by user 'Bob' who has sold many of these discs. The original Honda disc does seem to work for longer, but it still comes up with the disc read error eventually. I will test this again to confirm as it has been a while since I last tried as my car has been out of action with a faulty alternator for a number of weeks (recently replaced and working again). Do these disc drives commonly wear out over time?

Member Array
    Car:
    vtack+non-vtak
    haha im not havin a go at you. what im saying is its the disc's fault. u cant justify it with lowest speed been burnt. its not costly to redo yourself.

burnt cd's sittin in the cd player in your car heats up esp with the interior heat u get as u would have seen last summer and u would have also felt uncomfortable gettin in and sitting in the seat.

so if i was you id go and get the most reliable blank dvd u can get. usually my prefernce of disc's for dvd's are databanks as they can be written at 1x speed where as most other cheapo dvds can only write 4x and above.

the orignal disc does work but really - its been in the car without removal for about what a bit under 7-8 years? all that heat n to top it off theres a reason why people make backups is to not use the orignal disc.

i find headunit disc drives become more sensitive to what sort of medium they get over time. my euro does the same thing if i have a audio cd in my car for more than 2 months and sometimes gets errors. last a lot longer with purchased orignal albums. just burn a new disc and its all fine.

doesnt matter who you trust. a burnt copy is still a burnt copy. seller issent 100% aware of the quality margin the disc is at when a manufacturer produces it. its like back in my school days going to the market to buy $5 ps2/xbox copied games - i keep using em n weeks of gameplay and eventually they stuff up - but would never blame my console or the guy who sold it.

EDIT: speaking of games - just some food for thought. i would have all sorts of different types of discs with burnt games. and i remember 100% clearly these discs never failed me not one bit during the time i used em. some of them still work today with all the scratches they've got

Last edited by cheapdouchebag; 22-03-2013 at 12:42 PM.

To me at least it definitely sounds like the laser wearing/worn out. The original pressed disc being easier to read would explain how it works for longer without an error but the fact that it comes up eventually sounds more like a drive issue.

Member Array
    Car:
    vtack+non-vtak
    rapid *changes* in temperature can damage CDs because the difference in expansion rates between the plastic and metal layers can cause delamination. Heat can accellerate other aging factors such as "disc rot" (internal oxidation due to impurities in the plastic). Direct sunlight can eventually ruin CD-Rs and DVD-R's, though this is less of an issue with newer DVD formulations.

Personally, I try not to use original (factory) CDs in the car at all, since even setting aside the sunlight & heat issue they are more likely to be scratched, dropped, damaged, or "borrowed" from the car. With blank CDs costing less than a dime, I make copies of anything I want in the car and leave the originals safely indoors; at that point who cares if they get "messed up", I can always throw them away and make another copy.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2004 Accord Eur
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastone View Post
    Hi Guys,

I purchased a second hand 2006 Honda Accord Euro (Luxury) about 6 months ago from a private seller. Recently a few problems have arisen.

Disc Read Error: My SatNav is having issues. Sometimes it works fine for a few minutes, then comes up with "Disc Read Error. Please consult your dealer" and stops working. This issue has been getting worse and I have noticed that the frequency of the error messages has increased over time, with it now coming up within 30 seconds. Previously it didn't even occur on some trips. Clearly it is degenerating. Please note: This was working quite well (although I barely touched it) before I started using a burnt copy of the latest maps as sold on this forum. I don't see how this could have affected it, but I thought I had better write that down too.

Air Conditioning: My passenger side air conditioning is approx 5 degrees cooler than the air coming out of the driver's side vents. This isn't the worst issue until it's a stinking hot day and the warm air just doesn't cut it. Probably not an issue I will invest serious money into unless it is an easy fix, as I can live with shutting my vents off and directing the passenger side towards me.

Thanks for any advice guys.
    Hi Jastone
    I read your post re-your air con issue, and I have the same thing, with warmish air on the driver's side vents, but cooler on the passenger side. I had the AC regassed 7 months ago. Did you figure out what the problem was with your A/C?
    Thanks
    Last edited by deco0028; 17-01-2014 at 01:47 PM. Reason: spelling error