Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    GD3//EK//CL9

Installing LED/SMD Strip on JAZZ GD + vid (Can do the same to other cars)

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: Install an SMD/LED strip in the driver and passenger foot area. It will act like the dome light. Dim down when u turn on the car (doors close), turn on when doors open or when the car is unlocked or when u take out the key when u turn off the car.

Required: SMD/LED strip. Tape. Cost $10 for 2 strips. Well worth it for the finished product.

Steps:
    1. Locate the fuse box under the driver side steering wheel

2.Feed the wires of the SMD/LED Up through the side and feed the wires to the fuse box

3. Locate the plug for the dome light. It is the plug next the the big yellow one and has 2 wires going into it.
    4. Grab the 2 wires that you fed to the fuse box and connect it to the back of the plug. You should have enought room to shove more wires in. And test the + and - ends of the cable or the led wont turn on.

5. Repeat for the passenger side.
    6. Peal off the adhesive on the Strip and apply it on your car.

7. Finished and now you can test it.

Other comments
    Videos below so you can see it in action.
    JAZZ:

COROLLA:
    Last edited by stylzjhn; 20-12-2010 at 06:44 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro
    Mate that's awsome. good idea.

Now i just need to find the dome switch on my euro =p

Member Array
    Car:
    GD3//EK//CL9
    It shouldn't be hard to find. If you trace back the wires coming from your dome light then it wont be hard to find.

If you don't have the plug like my jazz does. You can buy wire crimps and connect the SMD dirrectly to your dome light wires.

Once you know what wires to use, its easy after that. If not then you can just connect it to the switch on your door so the light will turn on only when the door is open.

Be careful not to bend the led srips too much, they will break the circuit quite easily. Nice one stylzjhn!

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    where do you buy the strips from?
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    GD3//EK//CL9
    You can get it pretty much anywhere. Depends what type of strip you want. I got mine from a site called Deal Extreme. But postage from that site takes a while. 2 weeks+. But then again its free post. You can get a strip from JAYCAR. They have cuttable SMD strips. Brighter than the ones i got.

http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.LED%20strip
    12V SMD LED Strip (30cm Blue) (the one i got)

Ebay sell the same ones for about the same price incl post.

I just installed a strip in my mates euro and a toyota corolla. Looks nice. Euro strip was from ebay (red). Corolla strip was from Jaycar (white)

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    I looked up the jaycar ones but seemed abit expensive considering it said $6.95 per strip and each strip has 3 leds and it takes 60 leds to make 1 meter. Are they any good like bright wise and bendable?
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    GD3//EK//CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by grifty View Post
    I looked up the jaycar ones but seemed abit expensive considering it said $6.95 per strip and each strip has 3 leds and it takes 60 leds to make 1 meter. Are they any good like bright wise and bendable?
    Well the ones at jaycar arent bendable. They are hell bright. I got like lets say 16 leds in my strip (Bendable) and my mate has the strip from jaycar. It cost $15 for a strip of 9 or was it 12 which are cuttable every 3 leds. We only used 6 leds for each side and it produces more light than my strip that has 16 leds.

The jaycar ones are SMD though. Bigger/Brighter bulbs. Imo go with the flexistrip, the Jaycar ones are brighter but they're not flexible.

And the flexible one produces more than enough light.

hey mate just a few questions, i took a look at my fusebox in my jazz and there seems to be a bunch of wires where the yellow plug is, which one am i suppose to plug it into exactly and also do i run any risk of blowing a fuse doing this?

Member Array
    Car:
    GD3//EK//CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by fillit View Post
    hey mate just a few questions, i took a look at my fusebox in my jazz and there seems to be a bunch of wires where the yellow plug is, which one am i suppose to plug it into exactly and also do i run any risk of blowing a fuse doing this?
    You wont blow the fuse. LED's run low voltage/current. If you look at the 2nd photo (step one) you can see the big yellow plug on the left. The plug that you want to use (dome light) is the green plug next to it on the right of the yellow one. It should have 2 wires coming out of it.

This have been installed in a Honda jazz, Toyota Corolla, And a Civic ES with no problems (LED dimming effect). In the accord euro it was allot harder to locate the dome light plug so we wired the LED's to the door switches (No dimming effect).

Hope that helped.
    Post Quality > Post Quantity
    Loving HID and LED installs! Feels free to ask me any questions
    Installs done to: Jazz's, Civic's, Euro's, Skyline's, Silvia's, Commodore's, Corolla's, Mazda's

hrm gave it a go, neons wouldnt turn on.......
    could it be possible that the neons blew up or something haha :S didnt know where else in the car i could hook it up to

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    maybe you have the polarity of the neon the wrong way?
    OEM parts whore