Coilovers Vs Springs

Hi guys,
    I've just bought a new honda CU2 and thinking of lowering it. Don't know which one i should go with coilovers or springs? and i heard springs wrecks the shock? is that true?

Member Array
    Car:
    1997 EK1 HATCH
    i personally dont think spring can wreck the shock absorbers, or the brand new cars these days, episcally Mercedes would of run something else by now. Chopping springs would affect the shock as the shock have to take more weight on them as theres less rebound because the spring is shorten. Coilovers are they way to go if you want to control your ride height and get defected, or go cheaper and use the springs but they can only sit your car one position only. I am saving up for coilover springs now as I need the high ride height to drive around where i used to live where my parents are still are and for racing/ meets to make my car look better instead of sitting like a monster truck.

Covered so many times, long term you're better off just spending the extra and getting coilovers.

Think of it like using cheap batteries vs more expensive batteries in a torch, it will work better, last longer and won't dish out any headaches.

Member Array
    Car:
    1997 EK1 HATCH
    Lol feel sorry for you lolmclol, everyone gotta learn someday, unfortunality I still do it as I forget and go the easy way, but I try my best and research first before asking

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    you have options;
    coilovers-best option imo-good handling up grade
    good springs with a set of lowered shocks-good option too but you lose adjustablilty.
    those coilover sleves- havent used em and wouldnt.
    lowerd springs on stock/normal shocks- is usually fine for a while untill the shock gives out may be in one week or 1 year but it happens.
    or you can just cut the stock springs and basicly just dive deep in to early commodore county.

in terms of perfomance handling the top 2 are the only real options, seriously a set of decent coils can be had for 1200 new or way less if you go second hand from someone you trust.
    the spring and shock combo isnt a lot cheaper so persoanly i would just grab a set of buddyclub n+. infact i did.
    Last edited by Daveho1; 07-04-2013 at 05:36 AM.
    Mate my bbk cost more than your Honda.
    -Amant02

Quote Originally Posted by Adamjoeldavis View Post
    Lol feel sorry for you lolmclol, everyone gotta learn someday, unfortunality I still do it as I forget and go the easy way, but I try my best and research first before asking
    Don't feel sorry for me, you clearly aren't even capable to use Google correctly, which even most 12 year olds can do, because this is one of the most common questions on auto forums.

thanks for the help guys

Member Array
    Car:
    FD1-RR 2.7
    jayy if you have the $$$ then coilovers, whilst lowering springs give you the look, interms of ride they dont come close to coilovers. For the last 18mths I've chopped and changed my suspension 3 times. I dropped Eibach lowering springs onto the stock shocks, then I got some Tokico HTS shocks and flipped the Eibach springs over to them. I was reasonably happy with their performance but then I decided I needed stiffer springs so I flipped on some Nuespeed lowering spring. Again I felt yeah performance was good til got a power upgrade and then on a whim I though stuff it just get some coilovers as I felt bold roll was still too much at the track. Even thou I've only had coilovers a short time, the ride is chalk and cheese. One of the problems with lowering spring I reckon is theyre progressive nature, they tend to crash in deeper potholes and with extreme cornering the wider coil spring can flex sideways reduce it effectiveness. BTW Im running GAB SS with the camber plate and ride is awesome. I do atleast a 1000km a week over some real shit roads and I wish I hadnt tried to reinvent the wheel mucking around with lowering springs.

thanks for that. I've been doing a bit of reading and most people say to install coilovers at the end of the day. I'll definitely check out GAB SS, but is there any other brands for cu2?

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    I have H.Drive Racing available for CU2 from $1050
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    A similar thread. Springs won't ruin shocks unless the shocks are sensitive to height (which happens to some cars(model specific) ) or they're really old

I'd say go for coilovers anyway - just don't forget to consider the damping rates and longevity

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ilover+springs
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Quote Originally Posted by jayy View Post
    thanks for that. I've been doing a bit of reading and most people say to install coilovers at the end of the day. I'll definitely check out GAB SS, but is there any other brands for cu2?
    Check this thread, all you need =)
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter