Opinions on headers?

Hey guys I've been looking into adding headers to my engine, just to add a little bit of power and a nice sound, not expecting anything big. I have a 96 accord and I've already installed a cold air intake so just wondering how well headers might go with performance or sound and if its really worth doing.

Also just wondering of any bad experiences (if any) with aftermarket headers or brands to look out for etc

Cheers!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Integra
    F22A or v6? ....
    Wouldn't do much on a f22 imo..

Headers depends on your budget / how much your willing you want to spend.. Ofc, the more you pay for the better brands, the better quality...( e.g mugen, spoon )
    Else you go down to brands like PLM,Xforce (under $600)

For sound, your better getting a nice cat back first...either nicely made custom'd with a quality muffler or something branded like spoon, jracing, skunk2 etc.

Yes mines the f22b1 motor, I was looking at a set of DC racing headers or pacesetter, I thought it might go well with the intake but haven't really thought about throwing money towards a cat back yet. Would it make a difference even without a cat back?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK1, Evo8
    In regards to installing headers, I believe (don't quote me on this) that they wont do much to a car's performance, unless you go and get it tuned then you will be using them for what they're worth.

If you don't get it tuned, your car will be running quite a bit leaner(plus the air intake you have installed), and some follow on affects on this is you can lose quite a bit of passive evaporative in-piston cooling due to lean mix.
    "Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul"

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    ^+1

for a sound you can do pretty well with a catback, just delete a resonator and chuck on a decent muffler.
    or larger diameter.

a good set of headers will only take u so far, maybe another 5hp over some of the band area because they are larger in diameter they will help flow at certain RPMS and retard it at others. a tune will bring out the best in your ecu to compensate for these.
    but if u want some noticeable performance you would want a full through system at least and a high flow cat, otherwise you will have restrictive spots.

Cheers for the tips guys, yea I think I might put my focus more towards a cat before anything. Was planning to get one eventually but ill probly start with the cat and move on from there

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    if u get the HFC that isnt a bolt on piece then dont install it until you are ready to get a catback aswell, because it will involve welding it in.
    might aswell have the new cat back welded to it first up.

only some HFC are bolt on.
    Your exhaust has
    Headers (extractors).
    then a CATALYTIC converter.
    B pipe (contains a resonator or 2)
    Axle Back/ C pipe (which starts near the rear axle or near the rear wheels and goes into the muffler and then ends)

all of these parts are separated by clamps, meaning they are replaceable individually.

Branded exhaust and tuning company designed exhausts are usually swappable with your OEM fitted exhaust.
    and the parts can be swapped over easily.

when you gt a shop to make u one up they usually make it in one piece. so a CAT back will be a b pipe which will be one piece all the way to the exit end of the car so the axle back is not detachable. they prefer to weld on rather then re use the flanges (so i have found).

although replacing your cat will probably not affect the sound output that much without a more free flowing B pipe and axle back (cat back)
    Last edited by Baby Face; 14-04-2013 at 07:46 PM.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    DC aren't terrible, but Pacemaker (I'm assuming you meant Pacemaker, not Pacesetter?) are very shite from what I've heard.

To be honest it's not really worth it unless you do the whole exhaust system as has been said, and for your motor I doubt you'd get much power gains at all. Full exhaust = header, high-flow cat converter and cat-back. So budget yourself a solid $1500 if you want it to be worthwhile.

Even if they don't add huge power they generally look badass

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    hi there,
    have a look at these thread.
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...r-car-see-here
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ghlight=header

altho they are not diectly relate to ur car, but the feedback and review will be similar if not same as ur car.

basically dont expect much with header, if you want more noise for less money, get a high flow cat or test pipe.
    connorling, your profile and evidenced by your post tells me alot about what type of feral you are..... all class 'hay'!!!! ps. not your m8....

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    for an awesome noise get rid of a resonator and just run a muffler.
    and a cat ofc.