Member Array
    Car:
    DC2

Type R flywheel weight

I've purchased 2 flywheels, both have stated that they come from a type R model.

My research has led me to believe that a non-type R flywheel is around 8.4 kg
    A type R one is about 6kg.

Is this correct?

I have two sitting in my room that both weigh 8.4kg.... starting to get real pissed off with peoples lies or have I got this wrong?

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Thanks, I believe my scales aren't very accurate after comparing with known weights (ie dumbbells) so 7kg sounds about right for a type R then. Bit of relief.

Anyone comment on any improvement going from a vtir to type R if the weight difference is only 1-2kg (15-20% improvement) ?

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    Quote Originally Posted by carab View Post
    Thanks, I believe my scales aren't very accurate after comparing with known weights (ie dumbbells) so 7kg sounds about right for a type R then. Bit of relief.

Anyone comment on any improvement going from a vtir to type R if the weight difference is only 1-2kg (15-20% improvement) ?

Taken from another site ~ In short you won't gain HP but will rev quicker.

"The are no negative effects to lightening your stock flywheel unlike replacing it with an ultra-lightweight Aluminum flywheel. Most manufacturers make the stock flywheel very heavy. This makes the engine very smooth and enables it to retain energy at part throttle cruise and up long grades for better fuel economy.
    An Aluminum flywheel goes completely the other direction with almost no weight. This lets the engine rev up very quickly and allows the engine to work easier due to the reduced weight spinning around on the back of the crank. This is fine as long as you are at full throttle and wide open throttle all the time like in a Road Race or Drag Race only car. As soon as you let off the gas the engine RPM drops instantly and the car slows down. In a road car this causes surging and bucking at cruise speeds and poor driveability and clutch engagement.
    A lightened stock unit on the other hand gives you the best of both worlds. It is a compromise between the overly heavy OEM unit and a Too light Racing unit. You get the benefits of both with none of the bad qualities.
    Turbo cars are exceptionally critical to flywheel weight. Too light a flywheel will make the car rev faster and possibly come on boost faster but that is only half the issue. When you let off the gas to shift the car will drop off of boost just as quickly causing a poor transition when you come back on the throttle."

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by HmGLuCaS View Post
    Taken from another site ~ In short you won't gain HP but will rev quicker.

"The are no negative effects to lightening your stock flywheel unlike replacing it with an ultra-lightweight Aluminum flywheel. Most manufacturers make the stock flywheel very heavy. This makes the engine very smooth and enables it to retain energy at part throttle cruise and up long grades for better fuel economy.
    An Aluminum flywheel goes completely the other direction with almost no weight. This lets the engine rev up very quickly and allows the engine to work easier due to the reduced weight spinning around on the back of the crank. This is fine as long as you are at full throttle and wide open throttle all the time like in a Road Race or Drag Race only car. As soon as you let off the gas the engine RPM drops instantly and the car slows down. In a road car this causes surging and bucking at cruise speeds and poor driveability and clutch engagement.
    A lightened stock unit on the other hand gives you the best of both worlds. It is a compromise between the overly heavy OEM unit and a Too light Racing unit. You get the benefits of both with none of the bad qualities.
    Turbo cars are exceptionally critical to flywheel weight. Too light a flywheel will make the car rev faster and possibly come on boost faster but that is only half the issue. When you let off the gas to shift the car will drop off of boost just as quickly causing a poor transition when you come back on the throttle."
    awesome, thats all i want

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    I have a DC2R flywheel lying around if you still need a second opinion on the actual weight?

I ended up with a Exedy light weight chromoly flywheel.
    Was a really great mod as the car feels more responsive and rev matching is much easier.
    There has been absolutely no down side to drivability.

More to a flywheel then just the weight by the way, its all about the rotational inertia, so you cant just compare weight.