Thread: Gearbox Issue

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R

Gearbox Issue

Hey guys quick question about my gearbox.
    Now it's a type r gearbox, I believe a S80 LSD with 4.7 FD.
    So the other day I was doing a service on the car, I noticed there was a minor small crack on the gearbox case (underneath).

I've hardly driven the car maybe < 1000kms or not even, I'm not sure if it was my fault or it was already there when I bought the package. (I should of double checked underneath) From what information i've received from the seller he advised me the clutch was a Toda brass button clutch soon as I heard this I wanted to replace to something like a sports organic and been riding the clutch to smoothly drive it and not kill the gearbox.

Now the gearbox seems silky smooth no crunching yada yada yada and so on.
    What future issues could the crack on the gearbox cause?
    How much for a repair?
    Is it even repairable or would it need a need a new casing?

I had a feeling this was bound to happen soon as I heard that the previous owner threw a brass button Toda clutch. At the moment I can't afford to change the clutch. I plan to change the clutch on it but keep the Toda lightweight flywheel. What's compatible with the flywheel?

Any information would be help.

Thanks.
    PS. will upload a photo when I get home from work.

Member Array
    Car:
    b18c2+T Ej8
    I have seen couple of small cracks on gearboxes. But they did nt broken or the crack became bigger. If it's not leaking so far, so good.
    I reckon u can get any clutch to fit toda flywheel.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    there was a service action awhile ago for small cracks which just involved filling any cracks with a 2 part epoxy putty. there is a product called " knead it" and it would be ideal for filling small cracks. its avaialablr at auto shops

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveho1 View Post
    there was a service action awhile ago for small cracks which just involved filling any cracks with a 2 part epoxy putty. there is a product called " knead it" and it would be ideal for filling small cracks. its avaialablr at auto shops
    Thanks man just googled that and looks easy to use, I guess I'll seal it up with that and won't drive the car until I switch the clutch.