Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

help with throttle body

hey guys i have recently installed a cold air intake into my 96 accord and i wanted to maximise its performance by adding a larger throttle body. however i have read up about it and found that by having a larger throttle body i should really be needing an aftermarket exhaust system as well to assist with the outflow of more exhaust gases. does anyone know if this is really necessary? and if this is the case, what would be the largest diameter of a throttle body i should get before my stock exhaust system causes limitations on outflow and will not further increase power

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    honestly the T/B is one of the last things people due in the serch for a few more KW but basicly yes the exhaust becomes the limiting factor if the intake is of an apropriate size and has no restrictions. the T/B you select idealy will have the same bore as the entry to the intake manifold, in your case i think the accord is like 64mm-66mm (anyone confirm?). but honestly theres alot more power to be found changing the exhaust then the throttle body, honestly i doubt its worth changine it unless your also working/changing the intake manifold

Funny I was actually gonna save the exhaust till later lol I guess I should rearrange my priorities. Do you know if I would be able to use a larger throttle body for eg. 90mm? Would this be able to fit?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    you can use what ever throttle body you want but if its been bottle necked into the stock intake manifold it would make no diffrence. have a look at how much material can be removed by a macheinest on the inside of where the trottle body mounts to the intake manifold. it will prolly be a fair bit but really over 70mm is excesive on most hondas anyway

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    i chucked a larger TB onto my Jazz before BIG MISTAKE!
    needed a tune to really get it to work i could make it stall too easily with radical change in opening, the opening on the inside to the manifold was another 8mm or so but into was only another 3mm
    maybe it was for ventury affect.

but i still got headers and full exhaust before doing any more then a air intake...

theres more power to be had in freeing exhaust then in freeing the intake, Lots of ppl will run standard intakes and aftermarket exhausts, because the air intake is only restricted for a bit of noise pollution, and some filtration.

an exhaust is more heavily filtered with a cat that cloggs it up and a lot more baffles to remove a lot more noise.

in the early stages exhaust is more efficient then intake, intake will only make the car sound beefier at higher throttle.
    i made up a system for Jasemas's air intake which is a 94 VTiS, not very effective but makes it sound great. better then my b16 as far as throatyness goes.
    but a good mandrel bent exhaust at around 2inch + highflow cat, get it all in one go and you will have better exhaust note and free-er rev climbing.

guys

A larger throttle body should be the LAST modification you do - and thats for serious track / drag cars only. No point for any road car.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK1, Evo8
    Agreed with the rest, don't look into throttle body unless you're planning to upgrade the fuel rail, pump, etc. But even then that would mean you're quite a way in your mods list.

If you want to extract more power then go exhaust system, a tune and maybe cams?. I really suggest tuning your suspension to be the next step because it will do miracles for your cars handling.
    "Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul"

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    this personwants power>handling by the sounds of it.

if ur gonna get a bigger TB, get it when u go ITB, or when u get your turbo, throttle body isnt very restrictive haha.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby Face View Post
    i chucked a larger TB onto my Jazz before BIG MISTAKE!
    needed a tune to really get it to work i could make it stall too easily with radical change in opening, the opening on the inside to the manifold was another 8mm or so but into was only another 3mm
    maybe it was for ventury affect.

but i still got headers and full exhaust before doing any more then a air intake...

theres more power to be had in freeing exhaust then in freeing the intake, Lots of ppl will run standard intakes and aftermarket exhausts, because the air intake is only restricted for a bit of noise pollution, and some filtration.

an exhaust is more heavily filtered with a cat that cloggs it up and a lot more baffles to remove a lot more noise.

in the early stages exhaust is more efficient then intake, intake will only make the car sound beefier at higher throttle.
    i made up a system for Jasemas's air intake which is a 94 VTiS, not very effective but makes it sound great. better then my b16 as far as throatyness goes.
    but a good mandrel bent exhaust at around 2inch + highflow cat, get it all in one go and you will have better exhaust note and free-er rev climbing.
    This guy knows
    Took us 4 hours lol
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Save that monieyz toward a nice header instead

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    Save that monieyz toward a nice header instead
    buy a corolla instead m8
    honda power of dreams
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Thats enuff out of you m8y