Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Turbo s2000

From Godzilla to S2000-t

Hey guys,

First post here for me. I just went from a 300kw R32 GTR to a nice little S2000 Turbo making about 190rwkw two months ago.

Its been an interesting change, going from a flat six 4wd torque monster to this almost go kart like car! Loving the turn in, steering response and lightness of the car. The car is a lot more challenging and scary to drive than the GTR tho. Just made me realise that the ATESSA 4wd system in the GTR made me look like a better driver than I am haha.

Unfortunately car is off the road getting a turbo and gearbox rebuild. Should get it back this week with carbon 1st to 4th gears

Anyways, happy to be joining the new family!

Top always down and much love,
    X

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 BB AP1
    welcome! did you pick up the SSM with a greddy kit on it? with few carbon bits n pieces?

any regrets?

Member Array
    Car:
    Turbo s2000
    I did get that one! The one with the OEM hardtop. You know the car?

I knew the gearbox and turbo were both fkd when I bought the car, so no surprises there. Got it for a price I was happy with. Hopefully no other issues now that both are rebuilt!

The only regret is I miss my GTR I sometimes think this car sound like a mosquito... haha prob only because I'm comparing it to that flat 6 roar!

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 BB AP1
    hahaah yeah compared to a GTR in all honesty any honda is gonna sound like a pussy.... until vtec hits .

Nah but I just remember seeing the car up for sale and was wondering why the price was at what it is. But fkd turbo and gearbox makes sense haha. Where are you getting it rebuilt at if I may ask?

In terms of maintenance cost though (from what you can tell so far) - how does the S compare to the gtr?

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    keep an eye on the oil level, some S2000 have oil burn problem. the rear diff is the weakest link, so diff fluid change is a must.

basically i change engine oil, oil filter, diff oil, gearbox oil every 5000 to 6000km.

while you getting the gearbox rebuild, look into the diff as well, Js racing S2000 uses R32 rear diff, i was told RX7 diff fit in nicely with some mod.
    definately look into it hey especially u r running turbo.
    connorling, your profile and evidenced by your post tells me alot about what type of feral you are..... all class 'hay'!!!! ps. not your m8....

Member Array
    Car:
    Turbo s2000
    @black8thgen the main thing I've noticed so far is fuel consumption, the S uses about 40% less than the GTR. I usually drove the GTR on low boost which made only around 220rwkw (so not much more than the S - yet fuel consump is heaps worse).
    Other than that because the my GTR was immaculate and well looked after, I didn't have any major expenses in the 3 years I owned it.
    Service schedules are similar for the two cars, but the S takes a lot less volume for everything. Eg. the GTR took double gearbox oil each change.

Turbo rebuild @ Precision Turbos
    GB Rebuild - dont have the name of the place atm cos my mechanic sent it off. But the gearsets are genuine Honda AP2 Carbon sets.

@connorling thanks for the heads up! wow you do the GB and diff so often as well?? I think the GTR I did every 10,000km at most for those.
    Previous owner said he had already done reinforced diff gears... but had no receipts, so who knows (fingers crossed as I get the car back tomorrow).

Question for you both, how do you find the S2's ride? what suspesion you run? I have Tein MonoFlex with EDFC, on the softest its still almost unbearable in sydney and just plain scary if you hit a bit bump / dip in the rd. I get thrown out of my seat... (this might be due to the short wheel base and the extreme chasis stiffness).

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    what are spring rates ?i remember Tein has stiff spring.

i use AST coils, they are very good indeed.
    highly recommand

[QUOTE=Xiaorpowr;3637386Question for you both, how do you find the S2's ride? what suspesion you run? I have Tein MonoFlex with EDFC, on the softest its still almost unbearable in sydney and just plain scary if you hit a bit bump / dip in the rd. I get thrown out of my seat... (this might be due to the short wheel base and the extreme chasis stiffness).[/QUOTE]
    connorling, your profile and evidenced by your post tells me alot about what type of feral you are..... all class 'hay'!!!! ps. not your m8....

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    What spring rates do the monoflex have? If you are not happy I would look at a set of KW V3 with progressive spring rates and separate bump & rebound adjustment
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 BB AP1
    Yeah i thought as much in regard to the maintenance - it's the main reason i stuck with a honda rather than going for an evo or gtr as being a full time student I just can't afford to drive those vehicles yet lol.

Yeah my mate has owned his S for a while and he does the same as connorling - diff and gearbox as well as oil changed at every service (unless it's topped up enough that there is literally no need).

In regard to the ride..... I'm running on HSD coils (pretty shit) think they're 10k front and 8k rear spring rates. Previous owner got them done and I'm too poor at the moment to upgrade (i'm thinking of going to KW V3s, Ohlins DFV or AST in the future). I'm currently on softest setting and yeah man it hurts like hell driving on Sydney roads. Every bump i get the same as you - lots of movement in the rear, but this is one thing every S owner will say about driving the car lol. I hear getting anti bump-steer kits for both front and rear can help reduce this but obviously not eliminate it. Also, maybe consider getting reinforced diff mounts (exedium, etc)? I'm looking into it and all the stuff I've read so far has been positive.

EDIT: @ connorling: which AST setup have you got? 5100? 5200?

Member Array
    Car:
    Turbo s2000
    Not sure if you guys have read this?? Reviews all the top brands, KWs included. Food for thought...

http://blog.kw-suspension.com/wp-con...k-shootout.pdf

I have pretty much identical setup as the Tein car in this test
    F:12kg R:10kg
    The yanks seem to think it rides better than stock... I've never driven a stock AP1. But god help S owners if its worse than what I experience right now haha.

Maybe I should just man the fk up... I whinged about my GTR when it had F:14kg R:12kg and changed it to F:6kg and R:4kg. I am ineed soft... haha

@black8thgen - you go to trackdays and cruises in Syd?

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    also don't forget - a certain spring rate will feel very differently on a gtr and a s2k given their weight differences

black8th - HSD's do suck lol, their damping doesn't go down very much, i had a broken spine after riding in a mate's car.. but i am also indeed soft.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    12 and 10 spring rate seem high for sydney road.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiaorpowr View Post
    Not sure if you guys have read this?? Reviews all the top brands, KWs included. Food for thought...

http://blog.kw-suspension.com/wp-con...k-shootout.pdf

I have pretty much identical setup as the Tein car in this test
    F:12kg R:10kg
    The yanks seem to think it rides better than stock... I've never driven a stock AP1. But god help S owners if its worse than what I experience right now haha.

Maybe I should just man the fk up... I whinged about my GTR when it had F:14kg R:12kg and changed it to F:6kg and R:4kg. I am ineed soft... haha

@black8thgen - you go to trackdays and cruises in Syd?