Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic FB2

car n00bie.. questions on suspension and rims in particular

hi guys, just registered about 10minutes ago LOL hectic aha ive been with my 9th gen honda civic now for a year this coming august... and ive been considering getting some work done to it?

ive spoken to a few friends but im always getting totally different opinions and whatnot so here goes...

i really want to lower my car!! the stock suspension is so bloody high and it just looks absolutely silly! one of my friends suggested i just get bigger rims (currently 16") so i was then thinking on maybe some 17"s but then another friend said if i were to change my rims i would have to do suspension work anyway since the different rims will make teh car a bit unstable or something..

so then i thought maybe ill just stick with my stock rims since i like them anyway (they are very neat and have a cute little honda sign on it ^_^) and just lower my car a little... that would be the better option right?

and my other query was just concreting the difference between springs and coilovers.. so springs pretty much just lower your car for the looks? if i were to lower my car with springs then i would also have to change the shock absorbers also right?
    whereas if i just get coilovers i just .. get the coilovers and thats it. but coilovers are much more pricey?

so technically in other words, if i were to get springs and a new shock absorbers(is that the proper name?) then my car should be alright? at the moment the distance between the tyre and the body of the car is liek -_- i think about 8cm... so like 3". hoping maybe to lower it by half. that should be alright?

also i was thinking of an exhaust... nothing too extreme, just a little bit of that amazingly sexy low rumble. compared to suspension work (which i have a LITTLE knowledge of...) i dont have any knowledge on exhausts and mufflers etc. just curious if anyone could give me any basic insight into them and what i should look for and approximate or average prices?

sorry for all the questions LOL HAHA i only want the best for my baby and also hopefully i can learn a lot more about cars from this forum ^_^

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    Standard suspension contains a damper (shock absorber) and a spring. generally (almost always) the standard ones are non adjustable.

Springs will lower your car, and you can re use the original dampers (if they are still in good nick), the problem with lowered springs though is that over time it will kill the damper because the spring is only holding the car a fraction of the height that the original damper was designed for ontop of this they arent adjustable and if they are too low for you then too bad (sort of).
    also they are generally stiffer yet fairly soft for real sporty driving.

*tein s tech springs

you can get dampers that match springs you can buy Height adjustable ones where i think the damper stroke is set (so you never only run it part the way up) but it is adjusted by a perch which can turn up a thread and then the bottom where it mounts to the car is higher, making the wheels sit higher up in the car (effectively lowering it).
    better dampers have adjustable valving or a good valve preset for a stiffer spring.

*koni yellows

Coilovers are good from a track point of view, the spring rates are hard and the shocks are already matched (fittment and valving) to the spring so its an easy one piece buy (the springs fit perfectly over the damper), pretty much all of them are height adjustable and the better ones are damper adjustable (adjust the rate at which the springs return the car to full height this is called matching the valving -or something to that effect).

*Tein coilovers

there is another alternative!
    you can buy Coil sleeves/spring sleeves.

*ground control sleeves
    these are basically a spring on an adjustable base so the give you completely height adjustable suspension.
    they can fit aftermarket Dampers or stock ones, provided u get the right set.
    get ground control dont just settle for a lame ebay brand because the springs rates will all be the same and it will make the car a pig t drive.

i think if your car is new and u dont mind flogging out the dampers (it will take a while though) then just use adjustable sleeved springs.
    Last edited by Baby Face; 14-05-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic FB2
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby Face View Post
    you can buy Height adjustable ones where i think the damper stroke is set (so you never only run it part the way up) but it is adjusted by a perch which can turn up a thread and then the bottom where it mounts to the car is higher, making the wheels sit higher up in the car (effectively lowering it).
    better dampers have adjustable valving or a good valve preset for a stiffer spring.

*ground control sleeves
    these are basically a spring on an adjustable base so the give you completely height adjustable suspension.
    get ground control dont just settle for a lame ebay brand because the springs rates will all be the same and it will make the car a pig t drive.
    thankyou for the very detailed reply!!!!! what exactly are these height adjustable springs? and these "coil sleeves" ????

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    ^^ This guy knows his shit. +1

For exhaust. There are 3 parts to it, starting from your engine to what you see at the back of your car.

Headers > Cat Converter > Muffler.

You could go to a exhaust shop and get them to weld a muffler to your current cat. For fairly cheap under $300?? This will get you sound.

Spend abit more and gain some performace by either buying a sexy JDM one try JDMYard or JDMConcept or spending abit more at the exhaust place.

Hi Flow Cat + Bendrel bent straight flow exhaust system cost approx $1k at a descent shop this will get you better sound + little performace.

Big a BALLER get the full system, in this you will see all gains left right center, sound performace and get it done right your mileage should increase too.

Nice 4-2-1 Header to see gains from mid or 4-1 Header will see heaps of gains from higher end. with a matched Hi Flow Cat and straight flow exhaust you will be cheering you did the full setup. Cost approx 1.5k+ depanding where you go what products you choose.

I just did a xforce twin loop + high flow cat with bendrel bent pipping cost $1050.00 and the sound is awesome. Awaiting my PLM headers soon. It sounds real good but the performace gains are very minimum.

Aww cant repp you BAby it says i must spread it.

OP if your budget permits I would reccomend a set of coilovers. Do it Once and do it right.

This way you have the option of Lowering to increasing hieght of your car. Some more expensive ones also come with Damper controls to control the stiffness of the dampers as well. You can pick a nice set of as shown above is what i used to have Super Streets from Tiens nice spring rate mated to a good set of dampers.

Or if you dont mind the high spring rate and stiffer dampers try the Buddy Club N+ they are abit cheaper then tiens but offers similar performace.

I think the N+ is more of a track suited product over the super streets.
    Last edited by amant02; 14-05-2013 at 09:45 PM. Reason: More info for op.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic FB2
    what does OP mean?? my friend just said apparently you have to change coilovers every now and then.. please tell me thats not true HAHA so ultimately in the long run coilovers > springs i guess? although i would have to invest slightly more money into it....

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Standard suspension contains a damper (shock absorber) and a spring. generally (almost always) the standard ones are non adjustable.

Springs will lower your car, and you can re use the original dampers (if they are still in good nick), the problem with lowered springs though is that over time it will kill the damper because the spring is only holding the car a fraction of the height that the original damper was designed for ontop of this they arent adjustable and if they are too low for you then too bad (sort of).
    also they are generally stiffer yet fairly soft for real sporty driving.

*tein s tech springs

you can get dampers that match springs you can buy Height adjustable ones where i think the damper stroke is set (so you never only run it part the way up) but it is adjusted by a perch which can turn up a thread and then the bottom where it mounts to the car is higher, making the wheels sit higher up in the car (effectively lowering it).

*koni yellows

Coilovers are good from a track point of view, the spring rates are hard and the shocks are already matched (fittment and valving) to the spring so its an easy one piece buy (the springs fit perfectly over the damper), pretty much all of them are height adjustable and the better ones are damper adjustable (adjust the rate at which the springs return the car to full height this is called matching the valving -or something to that effect).

*Tein coilovers

*ground control sleeves

i think if your car is new and u dont mind flogging out the dampers (it will take a while though) then just use adjustable sleeved springs.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Baby Face again.
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    Quote Originally Posted by educk View Post
    thankyou for the very detailed reply!!!!! what exactly are these height adjustable springs? and these "coil sleeves" ????
    maybe i didnt convey myself well, the height adjustable springs are the Sleeved springs/ Coiles with sleeves/sleeved coils etc.
    they are basically a spring that perches on a giant nut (essentially) as you spin the nut it winds up the threaded base of the inner sleeve effectively giving you control of how high the spring sits and how high the car will then be elevated by the spring.

dont go getting larger wheels until the car is lower, i think 16's is a very suitable size for a civic. and tyres are more reasonably priced i would imagine.
    if you go or larger tyres to fill the gap the amount of gap you fill (very little) will also raise the car.
    and then the lack of tyre will make the tyre gap evenmore noticable and the end result will be ugly (hate to say)

FB2 has a r18 engine i believe so there are no "headers" or "extractors" available as the exhaust outlet goes straight to the cat:

the newer R engines and the L engines in the Jazz's have no headers since the ports are made inside the Head block, essentially without the CATALYTIC converter you ONE hole.

so since the CAT is new and i would imagine a performance one for this engine may be awkward to mount, i would say to just get a Cat back (replacing the B pipe/mid pipe and the Axle back ( basically a muffler with some pipe and a flange that connects to the Mid pipe around the rear wheels area) )
    the new one made up by an exhaust shop will be a solid piece in contrast though, although that doesnt really matter.
    a 2inch mandrel bend with a free-er flowing muffler would do it.
    my EG doesnt rumble much and sounds rather clean since i went to a 2.25 from a 2. it eliminates some of the rasp especially since its mandrel bent.

Also you could buy a "downpipe" for a R18 example

*AJ racing

lots of these though elminate the cat which is illegal, and i dont condone it. might be able to find one with a high flow cat though (legal).
    and exhaust shop might be able to use the stock flange and cut the honda CAT off and weld on a high flow one if its not too big and bulky, I reckon a Venom one would fit well (get the smallst one possible though and dont quote me on the fitment im purely guessing)

This is the standard stock one.
    *Stock

Having a High flow CAT or no cat downpipe can cause an ECU error code though because of the odd emissions so i would investigate this further.

heres a great link to help you mod your R series theres a list of air intakes and Downpipes for you to choose from.
    http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f55/...-guide-325239/

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    Quote Originally Posted by educk View Post
    what does OP mean?? my friend just said apparently you have to change coilovers every now and then.. please tell me thats not true HAHA so ultimately in the long run coilovers > springs i guess? although i would have to invest slightly more money into it....
    You dont HAVE to change your shocks ever unless they are leaking oil or knocking.

i have 20year old shocks sitting on lowered springs, and i have no adverse affects no leaks or knocks

Jasemas however has 19yr old shocks on standard springs and has a leak in ONE!

so i dont think it will matter too much, since u have new shocks they should be healthy which means they are great to keep or still worht throwing springs on.

your call. if u want comfort get springs, if u want some comfort and a particular height be it very low or still high then get the sleeved springs.

if your shocks start dying get aftermarket ones like Koni's, if you dont mind a rough ride and want to hug the road/track then you want coilovers (or a very good set of Shocks mated and valved for your springs eg Adjustable shocks (koni band is popular) with a set of ground control sleeves)
    having the ability to adjust height is really good on a cornering car that way you can adjust the weight distribution among the tyres to make braking and acceleration and all aspects of handling more even by having it adjusted to sit the car perfectly distributed with your body weight in the driver seat.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    OP is original Poster

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    or do you have a k20z engine?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic FB2
    thankyou ))))) yeah i think ive decided on the springs ^_^ they seem much more suited because its not like i am going to put my car into racing, it is just for everyday drive and i think the whole adjustable thing kinda defeats the whole purpose for me getting my car lowered because .. well, i want to get it lowered for it to be lower LOL not to bring it back up again etc

as for the exhaust, im still somewhat confused... so the exhaust is the name for like.. the whole sound? component? that your car makes? and the catback is like the pipe that connects the EXHAUST (which im assuming is in the hood of my car) to the .. to the little pipe thing that sticks out of the butt of my car? is there a name for tha? or is that just called an exhaust pipe or something LOL so what is a muffler then? this is so much more complex than i originally thought LOL omg sorry im such a downie HAHAHAflkjdlkafjdlk

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic FB2
    or do you have a k20z engine?
    ummm... im not too sure ._____. how do i find out? :S