Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

high fuel consumption B20Vtec. why.. sending me broke.

I got a question i guess, and im wondering if its normal.
    I have a B20 vtec mildly built i guess,
    Skunk2 pro1 cams, upgraded valve train, 11.5 comp, usual bolt ons..

Its been tuned by adrian with a s300, the thing just god damn consumes fuel for a honda i would say, 11-12/100km.. this is shifting before 3k every single gear about 25% throttle, i do not have a lead foot by all means. it is mostly half and half city/highway.

Anyone have a reason why i am using so much fuel? i am also using 100 octane, tried switching to 98 but it uses more! :l

or is this normal for a nugget like mine?

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    Go and ask.adrian to go.over the tune...
    Maybe he ran it a lil too rich for safety...

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    agreed take it back to the tuner, ur fuel consumption shouldnt change to radical when running at partial throttle, if anything it should b pretty much on par with how it was stock or slightly less

Unless ur car is pinging like crazy on partial throttle thats the only real reason i can see the need to run richer afr with adjusting timing on partial throttle

id say look an compare ur AFR graph to others with similar mods to see if its normal just to be sure
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

hmm... yeh i might take it to someone else for a retune.. he wanted to charge me full price to fix the problem which i think is a tad high.. :l

The engine also cuts out sometimes when going from partial throttle to WOT or when shifting in high rpm's once in a while.. never got a AFR graph, only power and torque.. :l

Heard decent things about toys garage, might go see for myself

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    which adrian?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    No tuner should never charge for a re-tune full price full stop! if he does his a rip off an go to another tuner.

Retune could just be a simple touch up, might not even be a hour job lol, they should only charge u on a hourly basis after the main tune as they already have ur map an can tweak it, ofcourse unless u specify to them u want a completely new tune with new engine/mods

imo go find someone else..

word of advice, if u do choose a new tuner, and if they choose to re-tweak ur existing map or upload a existing map walk away ASAP!!!! no tuner should ever touch someone elses tune or map, a real tuner starts off with a fresh base map an work from there, an that way they know exactly what they did on the map, so should there ever be a problem it doesnt go back to the tuner, than back to the previous tuner etc etc
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    but toda is the best isnt it?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Quote Originally Posted by mugen_ctr View Post
    No tuner should never charge for a re-tune full price full stop! if he does his a rip off an go to another tuner.

word of advice, if u do choose a new tuner, and if they choose to re-tweak ur existing map or upload a existing map walk away ASAP!!!! no tuner should ever touch someone elses tune or map, a real tuner starts off with a fresh base map an work from there, an that way they know exactly what they did on the map, so should there ever be a problem it doesnt go back to the tuner, than back to the previous tuner etc etc
    thanks for the advice man, yeh i was going to change tuners, but in this world of tuning hondas in sydney, im pretty sure everyone just loads up a existing map and tweaks.. :l thats what it was turned into from what i have been told..

And i was told toda was the best, who knows LOL

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeey View Post
    thanks for the advice man, yeh i was going to change tuners, but in this world of tuning hondas in sydney, im pretty sure everyone just loads up a existing map and tweaks.. :l thats what it was turned into from what i have been told..

And i was told toda was the best, who knows LOL
    ahaha fair enuff man... If u really wanted to, id say go interstate, alot of ppl do that, simply cause of the tuners reputation and experience.

if u were in vic id strongly recommend Chequred tuning hands down!!!! He starts off with a new base map an will sit down with u and go over the tune, an u can watch ur car being tuned not like most others, where u just drop it off an walk away
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    This may sound a little stupid, but when was the last time your fuel filter & plugs were changed? Running on 100RON (5% ethanol) can cause your fuel filter to become blocked quicker than standard 98RON (no ethanol) and can cause the plugs to fowl
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Hmm,
    to be quite honest, ever since i have got the car ive never changed the fuel filter, got the car about a year ago. but the plugs are about 5-8k old when i put the B20 in.

I'll change the fuel filter now, any specific ones i should get? or just head down to supercheap and get the generic?

Thanks mate.