Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    1998 200sx S14

b16a2 getting ready for 200,000km service things I/others should know?

Sup guys just after a little info and any tips and advice about the big 200,000km service on a b16a2 engine. Currently doing a cert 2 in auto mechanics at tafe and with only 2 weeks left to go have decided i want to do the major service while i have alot of tools and hoist available to me.

I have already read posts about suggesting i replace the timing belt, tensioner and seals as well as the water pump which i believe are
    timing belt kit: dayco: ktba138
    water pump: protex: pwp4012

What i want to know is any helpful tips or advice for doing the timing belt change from others who have done it before (sure the tafe teacher will know how to do this anyway but other members may know some neat tricks.) Also while doing this major service what else should be done?
    500kms ago i changed the spark plugs, oil, oil and air filter is there anything else i need to replace. Just a bit of info the car is for sale but may keep depending on situations.

Any help/advice is much appreciated and will be useful for those who may do the service in the future.

Cheers,
    FenrirWC

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8
    On the Front id do front main and cam seals these would be difficult to change if they were to leak later and mean basically redoing the timing belt. Then rear cam seal/plug thing and dizzy seal are optional but good to do as youll already be there.

Tip would be to do it slowly and double check things like tdc on the first cylinder if you have access to cam locking tools it helps I used 2 old nails... Did the job but wasnt the greatest thing. Also if you have access to a hoist definately use it. I did mine on the ground. Not fun.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by ceekay101 View Post
    On the Front id do front main and cam seals these would be difficult to change if they were to leak later and mean basically redoing the timing belt. Then rear cam seal/plug thing and dizzy seal are optional but good to do as youll already be there.

Tip would be to do it slowly and double check things like tdc on the first cylinder if you have access to cam locking tools it helps I used 2 old nails... Did the job but wasnt the greatest thing. Also if you have access to a hoist definately use it. I did mine on the ground. Not fun.
    nice tips

stay tuned for more ceekay101 pro-tips.
    please subscribe on our youtube channel

wat
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8
    Lol should have just pmd him to avoid the trolling

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 200sx S14
    Havent ordered the dayco TBK yet will do that tomorrow but looking at the timing belt kit it says it includes Timing belt, tensioner, and seals however it doesn't say what seals are included. Ill also check the tappets clearance while the rocker valve cover is off and i should probably grab a RVC gasket while im at it (if i can find one).

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    To go with the timing belt & water pump, i would encourage changing:

- Fuel filter
    - Thermostat & o-ring
    - Gearbox/transmission fluid
    - Brake fluid
    - P/S oil
    - Rocker cover gasket
    - Dizzy o-ring

You could do ignition leads as well if you wanted.

Also, how is the condition of your sump gasket?

If you were do to everything all in one hit, you will be able to start a routine of servicing 5-10,000km and changing gearbox oil every second service, the car will pay you with the rewards
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 200sx S14
    Quote Originally Posted by stndrd View Post
    To go with the timing belt & water pump, i would encourage changing:

- Fuel filter = looking into one think ill grab a ryco z463
    - Thermostat & o-ring. = no idea
    - Gearbox/transmission fluid = Nulon Smooth Shift Manual Gearbox & Transaxle Oil - 75W-85 (will get this if i cant get honda MTF. and i just fill it up till it starts to overflow which should be about 2.2L)
    - Brake fluid = Nulon Extreme Performance Brake Fluid - Dot 4, 500mL (this should be ok as honda brake fluid is dot 3 correct? )
    - P/S oil = Nulon power steering fluid with stop leak 950ml (service manual requires 850ml i believe)
    - Rocker cover gasket = cant seem to find one but will try to get one.
    - Dizzy o-ring = unsure if it will come with timing belt kit or if needed seperately what part number required.

You could do ignition leads as well if you wanted. = Inspected them when i changed the spark plugs while the plugs seemed old and worn the leads still looked alright.

Also, how is the condition of your sump gasket? there seemed to be a slight leak last time she was on the hoist so i cleaned it up and retightened the bolts. if its still leaking ill try and find one to replace it but i cant seem to find a sump gasket part number.

If you were do to everything all in one hit, you will be able to start a routine of servicing 5-10,000km and changing gearbox oil every second service, the car will pay you with the rewards.
    Thats the plan like i said before its up for sale atm but if i dont find a good owner or the right price ill be keeping it which is why i want to do as much as i can
    Have also got coolant think i need 4.5L of it (mixed of course). I cant seem to get hold of a rocker cover gasket. anyone know a brand and part number i should be looking for (oem wont get in before course is finished.

thanks for all the help/reminders so far. if any of the stuff i've listed ^ is not useable please let me know Ill hopefully be picking up most of the fluids and timing belt kit on tuesday with hopes to start the service wednesday.
    Last edited by FenrirWC; 03-06-2013 at 01:53 AM. Reason: added Bold to make my responses easier to read

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 200sx S14
    OK just to make sure i have everything i need ive made a little list if there is anything else that i should get/do please let me know

Dayco timing belt kit. part number: kbta138 includes timing belt, tensioner, camshaft and crank seals.
    Motogear water pump. part number: pwp4012
    Penrite trans gear 75w-80. 2.5L only 2.2L required
    Penrite dot3 brake fluid 500ml
    Ryco Fuel filter. part number: Z463
    Penrite 5 Year Anti-Freeze Anti-Boil Coolant concentrate. Mix to required ratio, 3.1L required.

When checking the tappets the valve clearances should be Intake: 0.17mm +-0.02mm and Exhaust 0.19mm +-0.02mm correct? and the reading should be taken from the mid rocker arm?

havent been able to source a rocker cover or sump gasket yet.
    Last edited by FenrirWC; 04-06-2013 at 02:48 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    basic auto stores like repco or supercheap should have the rocker cover gasket, i got one from there not long ago, worth asking, they can possibly get both for you
    Wakefield Park PB: 1.15.6

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWC View Post
    When checking the tappets the valve clearances should be Intake: 0.17mm +-0.02mm and Exhaust 0.19mm +-0.02mm correct? and the reading should be taken from the mid rocker arm?

havent been able to source a rocker cover or sump gasket yet.
    The valve clearance is measured between the cam lobe and rocker arm for each valve. This does not include the VTEC (middle) rocker arm. Each valve must be checked with that cylinder a TDC, so make sure to follow the correct firing order (1,3,4,2).

For intake you would probably want around 0.006"-0.007", and 0.007"-0.008" for exhaust.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 200sx S14
    Quote Originally Posted by Super-DA9 View Post
    The valve clearance is measured between the cam lobe and rocker arm for each valve. This does not include the VTEC (middle) rocker arm. Each valve must be checked with that cylinder a TDC, so make sure to follow the correct firing order (1,3,4,2).

For intake you would probably want around 0.006"-0.007", and 0.007"-0.008" for exhaust.
    Have done tappets on a datsun 120y a12 engine which was easy enough with this engine i was a little unsure if I just did the normal Cam lobe or if i had to clear the Vtec as well( turns out i dont) and those measurements in mm = to the same in thous of an " so all is good.

Ty for all the help guys will hopefully pick up the TB kit and water pump tomorrow morning and have the project started by 10am. Will try to take pictures and may even write up a guide if i get all the pics and info recorded.

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 200sx S14
    OK guys just a little update I've finally completed the major service and went rather well only issue i had was the power steering pump/tube and AC tube being in the bloody way all the time -_- anyway got it all done and back together only to notice that the timing belt seems to be making a slight noise and it only happens for a split second on each rotation.

Before putting the covers back on i checked the belt and it seemed to not hit anything and felt tight but not crazy tight. anyway asked my teacher said it may be just a bit to tight and recommended we give it a week to see if the noise goes away or i guess ill have to readjust the tension. Is it possible to readjust the tensioner without pulling off all the covers and **** again it took me the better part of 2 days to do and would prefer not to remove all the stuff again (even if i might be able to do it quicker now i know what im doing).

still don't know why honda decided to jam so much stuff around that one little corner