Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9

Switchblade keys

Hey guys, I'm thinking of grabbing a replacement key for my CL9 as the original one is breaking (the cover). Was wondering if Honda Australia will mill/cut and reprogram these keys: http://www.heeltoeauto.com/fastline-...roductid=66050

And also how much.

looks like you can program yourself if you see the link in the description. and a locksmith would probably charge you $20 to cut one. I'm interested to see how you go

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 CL9 Luxury
    Great idea. I had a look around the forums and I see you've been interested in getting a flip key for a while. From what I can gather, each Honda dealer sets their own price in regards to programming keys. I'm quite interested. I'll give Yarra Honda, Astoria Honda and John Blair a call tomorrow and let you know what they say.

If anyone gets any other information, it would be much appreciated if you could share.

Cheers.

Member Array
    Car:
    MY07 Accord CM5
    They're most likely not going to work due to the frequency differences, the US ones are different from AUS ones.

Best you can do is ask if the AUS delivered flip keys found on the newer models are programmable to suit your car.
    ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS ROCK FAKESH*T

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 CL9 Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMaster View Post
    Hey guys, I'm thinking of grabbing a replacement key for my CL9 as the original one is breaking (the cover). Was wondering if Honda Australia will mill/cut and reprogram these keys: http://www.heeltoeauto.com/fastline-...roductid=66050

And also how much.
    I did a bit more searching and found these guys. https://www.wynnslocksmiths.com.au
    "Wynn’s Locksmiths offers Melbourne’s cheapest cut and programmed Automotive Transponder Keys. We use only the highest quality Transponder Keys and Chips. Only $100.00 Cut on and programming. Please visit our centrally located store with off street parking and we can provide you with a fast and economical solution." - https://www.wynnslocksmiths.com.au/s...ive-key-shells

https://www.wynnslocksmiths.com.au/s...onda-key-shell

I'm in the middle of Uni exams but I'll definitely go check them out once I've got time.

EDIT: Just got off the phone with them - Usually when you change your car key to a flip, the chip that disables the immobilizer will be too far for the car to start. If that's the case, they will charge $125 ($75 + $50 labour). If that's not the case, they can do it for $75. The gentleman on the phone was very helpful and nice. I might even go there today and let you know how it goes. I also confirmed with them that if they accidentally ruin anything, they will replace it free of charge (surprisingly, not all business operate with the same sense of goodwill). Will Update.

Alternatively, you can get a cheaper shell from eBay or elsewhere, and follow this guide http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/diy-h...-pictures.html

Personally, I'd get a remote without the panic button because I don't think it works for our CL9s.
    Last edited by iRoik; 07-06-2013 at 09:17 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    can probably buy a Honda key coder from china for a hundred bucks
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Ive done this with one of my cars. I just swapped all the internals from the old key to the new one, so thats buttons and the little chip. Then just got it cut and all good.
    Chunky = the first youngest ozhonda member ever

OZHONDA 4 LYFE!

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Thanks for the info guys. Especially iRoik. Just got out of an exam myself so a bit time constraint. The biggest advantage for me of having a flip key would be that the standard key is by far the largest and longest key I have. This would make it more comfortable to carry.

Edit: Called Astoria Honda, they say they can't guarantee anything as Honda Australia won't give them any information on anything outside of Honda parts. Genuine standard key would be $230+GST+$60 for cutting = No way in hell I'm buying a spare off them.

Edit2: Called Wynns Locksmith and the guy I spoke to "Aaron" said they couldn't do keys for older model cars.........
    Last edited by ChaosMaster; 07-06-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 CL9 Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMaster View Post
    Edit2: Called Wynns Locksmith and the guy I spoke to "Aaron" said they couldn't do keys for older model cars.........
    That's definitely not true. I went today, and got my key made into a flip key. I was taken care of by Kevin. At first, the key locked/unlocked the car, and the remote worked fine but it didn't turn in the ignition barrel. After two attempts of altering the key, he re-calibrated the machine and cut me a new key. I worked just fine.

The service I received was exceptional. I didn't expect him to come out to the car with me to try it etc. I highly recommend these guys.

Cost was $125 ($75 + $50 labour).

In the pictures below, the buttons look worn because well..those are the original buttons from my old remote. The quality of the case is actually quite impressive. Probably similar quality to the Mazda flip key, if you've ever held one.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    So they re-use the remote of your old key? What if you wanted a new one? And where are they based?

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 CL9 Luxury
    They re-used the remote from my old key. Seeing as it's only your cover that's breaking, it should be fine to re-use the old remote. They don't have any remotes, only the plastic casing and the key. They do however, give back your original key and casing + minor damage required to remove the transponder.

The transponder is a chip inside the key which essentially says to the immobiliser "this is a legit key, you can start the engine" This stops thieves from simply cutting keys/starting the engine without the transponder near by. The problem with the flip remote is that the transponder is too far from the sensor, and it is therefore required to be moved elsewhere in the key. As I understand, only Honda can give you a new transponder (which they'll only sell with a new key) that will work with your car. Otherwise, you'll have to remove the transponder and put it in the new remote.

Wynns is based in Preston, just off High Street.
    2 Bruce Street, Preston if I recall correctly.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Thanks iRoik.
    Preston is a bit far, gonna need to plan it out. Re-using the broken casing is fine, but I was hoping to change my other one to a switchblade, and even the keys to my other car (well, my Dad's corolla anyways, for which I only have the valet key).