Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Genuine Honda Parts, Necessary?

Hi all

Just picked up a 09 GE GLI, I have started collecting some genuine items for my upcoming 40k service. So far I've got genuine oil, oil filter and ATF-DW1 and a air filter.

Question that I want to know is, is it really necessary to use genuine? The only things honda warns against is the ATF and brake fluids. They seem to recommend that over anything else.

Thoughts?

Please use genuine fluids and filters.

But
    You can differ in engine oil - there are a few options out there such as castrol edge 5-30

Yeah I was thinking the same.

In my case genuine works out slightly cheaper than aftermarket as well so thats a bonus.

Any idea where to source genuine honda brake fluid (dot4)? I can't find this anywhere readily available in Aus.

Besides dealers ( which I'm not fond of)

Member Array
    Car:
    09 VTIS, Lotus.
    No. Genuine stuff is a rip off. I use Ryco oil filters, and Wesfil air filters ( identical ) that cost $15 ( as opposed to $60 plus for oem ) Never had a problem. I use Valvoline Durablend Semi synth 10/40 and change at 10K intervals.

Quote Originally Posted by fundies View Post
    No. Genuine stuff is a rip off. I use Ryco oil filters, and Wesfil air filters ( identical ) that cost $15 ( as opposed to $60 plus for oem ) Never had a problem. I use Valvoline Durablend Semi synth 10/40 and change at 10K intervals.
    Appreciate your input - and in general I agree. If you change oil and filter every 5,000kms and drive at a normal pace in normal conditions go for it.

But the fact is OEM parts and fluids will generally out last/ live and perform any aftermarket equivalent there is.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    What if your Honda came out before it was recommended to use Genuine OEM fluid? Weren't the engines designed with certain tolerances in mind/viscosity labels in relations to oil?
    Say the manual recommends SAE certified oil as long as its the correct weight i,e 5w-30?.
    I'm being a bit vague here.
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    Appreciate your input - and in general I agree. If you change oil and filter every 5,000kms and drive at a normal pace in normal conditions go for it.

But the fact is OEM parts and fluids will generally out last/ live and perform any aftermarket equivalent there is.

Do you think honda has their own manufacturing plant, where they do it all in house?

The oil filters are manufactured by 4 different companies, yes, fair enough they have to meet hondas quality standards, but why do you assume that other aftermarket filters dont also meet these standards? For example, Ryco filters are designed to meet OEM standards, and you dont void your warranty by using them.

As for the oil, its a different brand, and a different blend depending on what part of the world youre in, so again, id rather get the cheaper aftermarket alternative.

in terms of other fluids, brake fluid is the same no matter where you go, but as you know, the PS, MTF and ATF fluid are all honda specific. However quite a few aftermarket companies make these fluids, and i would have no qualms using them over the OEM stuff.

As for the very last part of your post, id love to see some definitive, real world results that can prove that OEM parts and fluids will outlast and outperform aftermarket gear.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasemas View Post
    What if your Honda came out before it was recommended to use Genuine OEM fluid? Weren't the engines designed with certain tolerances in mind/viscosity labels in relations to oil?
    Say the manual recommends SAE certified oil as long as its the correct weight i,e 5w-30?.
    I'm being a bit vague here.
    its a bit of a wank.

Fluids are a different issue because they are HOnda specific. Most cars just use ATF for the power steering, but Honda has a specific formula, but most aftermarket companies make it. So when buying PS/ATF/MTF, gotta always make sure it says suitable for hondas.

As for the engine oil, if its a stock motor, id just be using a good quality mineral, in the minimum weight you can, to reduce friction. (so if the car burns oil at 10w30, but not with 15w40, obviously dont go thinner than the 15w40)

Actually should have made it a bit more clear in the original post.

Normally I'm not a fan of OEM service parts simply due to availability and silly pricing, BUT in this case there is exceptions.

E.g a Ryco oil filter for the Jazz (Z547) is $19 from supercheap. From a little research online I've found genuine oil filters for as low as $12. Same goes with Engine Oil, a quality aftermarket oil like Castrol Edge is normally $50+ when its not on special. I have found genuine honda FEO oil for $40 and less.

So in this specific situation, it doesn't make sense for me to go after market. Normally I don't care about Genuine or not as long as its good quality.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Because Castrol edge is a synthetic group 3/4 oil designed for high performance cars, turbos etc etc etc, its SN rated

Honda FEO is a mineral oil, SL rated, so of course its going to be cheaper.

Theres no need to use castrol edge in a jazz, just like you wouldnt use 110octane racing fuel in it.

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    Use Penrite Everyday semi synthetic in your jazz, along with Penrite Honda Power Steering Oil & Penrite DOT4 brake fluid. It is far superior to the Caltex based crap OEM fluids.

When it comes to filters, the Repco or Ryco options work well and are alot cheaper.

If your Jazz is CVT you need to use genuine fluid, otherwise use Penrite ATFMHP for automatics or Trans Gear 75W80 for manuals
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8