Member Array
    Car:
    '94 BB1 VTi-R

Question Replacing valve stem seals on a H22A1?

Just wondering if there are any manuals or guides on the removal process of valve stem seals on the H22A1?

My BB1 Prelude is blowing a far whack of smoke, so I thought after this oil change (which will include a trade strength oil system flush and about half a bottle of Lucas Oil stabiliser), if that doesn't fix the problem, I'd have a crack at the valve stem seals.

Thanks guys,
    Russ.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 prelude
    look up helms bro. it will give you all the info you need when is it blowing smoke? not a fun job replacing the stem seals.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    Valve steam seals are a fun job indeed, especially without removing the head

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    If you aren't removing the head, you need to remove the cams and rocker assemblies and have compressed air fed into the cylinder with the piston locked at TDC through the spark plug thread to hold the valves in place when you remove the valve springs.

One cylinder at a time, remove the valve springs and retainers. Do not lose any of the valve keepers. Then you need to figure out how to pull of the stem seals. In my experience they are RIDICULOUSLY tight on the guide. Even with big pliers and all my strength I could not remove them from my head. Maybe a seal puller of some kind?

The new seals need to be tapped on with an installing tool or a proper sized socket and then everything reinstalled at cylinder 1 TDC.

Or just remove the head and get a reputable head servicing place to refresh the head for you.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 BB1 VTi-R
    Quote Originally Posted by Super-DA9 View Post
    If you aren't removing the head, you need to remove the cams and rocker assemblies and have compressed air fed into the cylinder with the piston locked at TDC through the spark plug thread to hold the valves in place when you remove the valve springs.

One cylinder at a time, remove the valve springs and retainers. Do not lose any of the valve keepers. Then you need to figure out how to pull of the stem seals. In my experience they are RIDICULOUSLY tight on the guide. Even with big pliers and all my strength I could not remove them from my head. Maybe a seal puller of some kind?

The new seals need to be tapped on with an installing tool or a proper sized socket and then everything reinstalled at cylinder 1 TDC.

Or just remove the head and get a reputable head servicing place to refresh the head for you.
    You just scared me.
    Scared me a lot.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ. View Post
    You just scared me.
    Scared me a lot.
    Better not do it then haha.

Sounds like you may be better off getting a reputable head servicing place to remove the head and replace them, then reinstall.

Just make sure you're certain the valve seals are the issue first. You can find out if the rings are ok by doing a compression test or a leakdown test.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    ^ agree with tom
    are you planning on building this engine at all?

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    The stem seals are quite well known to die on a h22

Mine as well as curtis's seem to have died
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut