Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EJ8

Lightbulb d16y8 turbo conversion

Hi, I'm hoping to turbocharge my 97 ex d16y8. I just wondering whether the stock ecu is enough or do I need to go for a piggyback ecu. If so what kinda ecu do I need to get? I'm gonna do it for the first time and I've been researched for a while but I couldn't find it.

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    well with out an ecu there that's fueling for the turbo you would have an engine that wont last all that long id say.
    look into hondata or anything really talk to local tuners and see what they like to work with and price up accordingly

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    You really need an ECU IMO. Consider the Hondata S300

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Cant run more than about 3 or 4psi on the stock ECU, because the MAP sensor throws a tantrum and sends the car into limp mode.

You need an ECU.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    piggy back ecu, chipped ecu or full replacement ecu like power fc, either one will do the job, at the end of the day its down to the tuner an how they tune it and ur budget.

if u plan on keeping obd2a P2P ecu than piggy back, such as Greddy emanage blue with correct harness and boost sensor, or haltech interceptor, again with correct sensors/harness, pretty much any piggy back system , OR u can alternatively go the Apexi Power FC ecu replacement which from what i read can be a plug and play obd2a friendly, not 100 percent on that, but than u would also need a boost sensor to monitor the boost pressure accurately

Than if u want a chipped, Hondata s100 - s300, Chrome, Neptune, theres few ecu u can choose from, but imo best to use is P72 ecu and upgrade ur map sensor as well just incase to a 4 bar if u plan on running more than 10 psi, but not necessary

Heres a list of what other ECU's u can an cant use as far as chipping a ecu goes:
    http://www.hondata.com/engines.html
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by mugen_ctr View Post
    piggy back ecu, chipped ecu or full replacement ecu like power fc, either one will do the job, at the end of the day its down to the tuner an how they tune it and ur budget.

if u plan on keeping obd2a P2P ecu than piggy back, such as Greddy emanage blue with correct harness and boost sensor, or haltech interceptor, again with correct sensors/harness, pretty much any piggy back system , OR u can alternatively go the Apexi Power FC ecu replacement which from what i read can be a plug and play obd2a friendly, not 100 percent on that, but than u would also need a boost sensor to monitor the boost pressure accurately

Than if u want a chipped, Hondata s100 - s300, Chrome, Neptune, theres few ecu u can choose from, but imo best to use is P72 ecu and upgrade ur map sensor as well just incase to a 4 bar if u plan on running more than 10 psi, but not necessary

Heres a list of what other ECU's u can an cant use as far as chipping a ecu goes:
    Thanks mate, I'll look forward to go with P72 ECU. It's cheaper than a Hondata s300. I have to stick with my budget.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by mugen_ctr View Post

Thanks mate, I'll look forward to go with P72 ECU. It's cheaper than a Hondata s300. I have to stick with my budget.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EJ8
    Thanks for your info dougie_504 and trism.