Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1996 Civic Vti

Gearbox issue 1996 Civic Vti

Hi Guys

So never done this before but my mate suggested i get on the this forum and see if anyone can help me. I don't have a lot of experience with cars so please excuse my lack of technical terms.

I had my 1996 Civic Vti go in for a service and when i went to pick it up i was told that my gearbox was "flaring". I was told that i needed a new gearbox and that it was probably cheaper to buy a new car. I was pretty upset cause i love this car and it's been in the family for agers. I was told this happens to the vti model a fair bit....

I have got a second opinion from my uncle who is a second hand car dealer and he could find the part slightly cheaper but not a whole lot of difference. The car is coming up to 160,000 and not sure if i should sell it or if there is a way to fix the problem without paying close to 2 grand.

If anyone could help with suggestions or have had the same issue, please let me know.

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    I assume this car is automatic?

Start with a 3x3 ATF flush then go from there
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

For honda gearbox's their a premium to repair, you're better off going to the wreckers and picking up one 2nd hand.

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    keep your eye on the for sale section of the forums too. someone who's doing a B swap or wrecking an EG/EK may be able to help you out. if you've got an auto you might be able to do a manual conversion - but might be a bit over your head if you're not real experienced.

btw, can someone fill us in what flaring is?
    FOR SALE: Injector seal kits || Dayco B16A timing belt

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    is your transmission a CVT or an ordinary Automatic ?

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    Flaring is where the auto will rev further and hold gears longer than what is "normal" and you get a bit of a clunk once it changes gears
    Kermit EGK20A

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1996 Civic Vti
    Quote Originally Posted by stndrd View Post
    I assume this car is automatic?

Start with a 3x3 ATF flush then go from there
    Thanks Stndrd, can you explain what a ATF flush is?? and would this be something a mechanic could do??

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1996 Civic Vti
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP-EK View Post
    For honda gearbox's their a premium to repair, you're better off going to the wreckers and picking up one 2nd hand.
    Even second hand was nearly the same and only a 3 month warranty came with it. Thanks for the help

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1996 Civic Vti
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN View Post
    is your transmission a CVT or an ordinary Automatic ?
    I am pretty sure its just an auto...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1996 Civic Vti
    Sorry guys, i am not big on all the specifics. I just am relaying what i have been told. Appreciate the help.

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    Quote Originally Posted by prime101 View Post
    Thanks Stndrd, can you explain what a ATF flush is?? and would this be something a mechanic could do??
    A 3x3 flush is where you drain and refill the trans fluid 3 times. A mechanic will be able to do this quite easily
    Kermit EGK20A

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    Quote Originally Posted by stndrd View Post
    Flaring is where the auto will rev further and hold gears longer than what is "normal" and you get a bit of a clunk once it changes gears
    actually no

flaring is when the engine rpm increases due to the clutch pack within the transmission is not engaging and slipping, the thud is due to poor or incorrect clutch pack clearances due to ware. During flaring loss of drive is experienced.

misaligned throttle pressure cable for the transmissions will also cause the thud on upshift between first and second

low fluid can also cause flaring if the torque converter cannot couple
    Last edited by ECU-MAN; 27-06-2013 at 03:59 PM.