Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2R

Question need help on new turbo setup

hey guys, im new to this forum and i was wondering if my xtreme sports organic stage 1 clutch able to withstand the task of a turbo, ill be running around 5psi, since i dont plan on getting any forged internals or an aftermarket ecu atm, what do you guys think about this? the car is a 96 dc2 vti-r, and what kind of turbo kits do you guys recommend, i was planing to get a ebay kit since i have quite a low budget due to uni and what not, looking to spend around $700

Member Array
    Car:
    Turbo 85 Civic
    Not trying to put you off. But there is no way you will have a good turbo set up for $700. You won't even get a shit turbo set up for that amount.

I turbo my civic while at uni and it is done with quality parts and cost a lot. Don't do a half assed job, save up more and do it right or don't do it.

But, that clutch should hold up fine if your planning on only running 5psi.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    how much do you think i should save up for a kit? i'm not aiming for any high numbers, but just wanted the added torque

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    i was even considering buying a ebay turbo kit, but using a nissan turbo instead? so id use the ebay ic piping and all that

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Find a greddy kit for cheap or piece ur own kit, than factor in also tune an what ecu so all adds up to well over 2.5k to 3.5k
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic Eg
    basic kit will cost you atleast 3k it isn't cheap
    Like my POST? why not add it with a +REP point!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    dang, alright sweet cheers guys, might just save up for a b18cr, would probably be worth it in the long run

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Quote Originally Posted by stalis View Post
    dang, alright sweet cheers guys, might just save up for a b18cr, would probably be worth it in the long run
    personally I dont think its worth putting b18c7 into vtir

its already heavier so after the swap its still slower than dc2r

you could arguably turbo your current b18c for less than the c7+gbox swap and have a much faster and powerful setup

Member Array
    Quote Originally Posted by stalis View Post
    i was even considering buying a ebay turbo kit, but using a nissan turbo instead? so id use the ebay ic piping and all that
    only cast manifold an cooler kit is good everything else is fail.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post

you could arguably turbo your current b18c for less than the c7+gbox swap and have a much faster and powerful setup
    yeah but i heard the type r gearbox's aren't preferred for boost, besides the lsd, since its short ratio, it doesnt stay in boost as long as a vti-r gear box, this was on team-integra.net

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post

and i wouldn't chuck in a b18cr in to be faster than a type r, it would just be for fun, just that extra kick.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    You seem to miss the point of turbo charging a car than say its not worth it, than opt for a engine swap which is going to be slower yet cost the same and yield considerable less power and torque vs a boosted b18c2 setup!

Just because a gearbox has short ratio doesnt mean "it wont stay in boost", i think u need to do more research before jumping the gun and saying Type-r gearboxes aint for boosted engines, because plenty of ppl have done boosted b18cr motor + gearbox setup and love it simply due to the nature of the engine power band combined with the shorter ratios, i think its fair to say that one of the down falls of a boosted type-R motor, b16b or b18cr is that they run high comp ratio, something like 11:1 so the margin of error is quite high verses something like a b16a2 10.2:1 or even a D16 which runs a 9.6:1

IMO if ur after fun than turbo is a no brainer, but it seems to me u just want the easy way out so stick to b18cr
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC