Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    s2000 / CL9

CL9 - 10W40 or 5W50

Can i have peoples opinions?

i have a euro with 165xxx kms. does not really burn oil.... i use Royal purple oil at the moment and change it every 4-5xxx kms.

would you stay with 10W40 (what im using now) or go to 5W50?

the car will be getting tuned. it has H/I/E

just opinions please. cheers

phil

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    I recommend Penrite HPR5 5W40

A 50 weight is a little thick for a street driven K series as it can affect the VCT lock up
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000 / CL9
    thanks for the input man.

why penrite may i ask?

i use motul 300V in my s2k but royal purple been good in the euro. better than the mobil 1 used. had it in there for 500kms and hated it.

Penrite.... i might look into it.

ill stick with a 40... thats what i was thinking.
    but my tuner wants me to use 50... even when my s2k was driven on the street he said 50.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Nah, don't go 50, too thick. I mean usually, when manufacturers recommend a weight, something like 40, they've taken into account the wear over the lifetime of the engine. 165xxx km is nothing. That and you'll find that compared to manufacturer's recommendations, you can usually go to a thinner oil if you go full synthetic due to the better protective properties.

I think Penrite is popular here because it's good value for full synthetic oil and is Aussie owned (and made?). Otherwise, there's much of muchness between it and other Group 4 oils. I think Royal is group 4 as well.

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    Penrite additive packs are alot higher quality than alot of the off the shelf oils these days. They are the only company that still uses Zinc (which prevents camshaft lobe wear, valvetrain wear & ringland wear) as well as being made in Melbourne & Queensland to suit Australian conditions.

I have used HPR5 in many K series powered cars and all of my customers have come back to me with great feedback. They continually say that the engine runs smoother, quieter and responds better.

If you go to the 10 Tenths Premium or 10 Tenths Racing lines of oil from Penrite, they are a mix of group 4 & 5 oils as they contain both PAO & Ester based synthetics
    Kermit EGK20A

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Stay with what you have. You can use anything from 0w-30 to 10w-40. If you go thicker, the higher viscosity might not be suitable for the moving parts, like the VTEC and VTC system.

I/H/E and tuning on a CL9 is nothing like other performance cars. It does not need a 50 weight oil for protection.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

honda dealer always recommend 10-40 and you wont go wrong
    h2b all motor- RIP
    FN2 -RIP
    GTI- RIP
    A 45 AMG -RIP
    C63 C205

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000 / CL9
    stntrd: the royal purple is a fully synthetic oil but unsure about the zinc part. im going to look into these oils

motul 300V i know still have zinc in their oils i believe...

i will prob use a 10W40 for streen in my s2k and a 5W50 on track days.... depending on oil temp i guess....

penrite.... hmmmm

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by philipminge View Post
    Can i have peoples opinions?

i have a euro with 165xxx kms. does not really burn oil.... i use Royal purple oil at the moment and change it every 4-5xxx kms.

would you stay with 10W40 (what im using now) or go to 5W50?

the car will be getting tuned. it has H/I/E

just opinions please. cheers

phil
    why would you want a 5w50?

isn't 10w30 recommended?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    Quote Originally Posted by philipminge View Post
    stntrd: the royal purple is a fully synthetic oil but unsure about the zinc part. im going to look into these oils

motul 300V i know still have zinc in their oils i believe...

i will prob use a 10W40 for streen in my s2k and a 5W50 on track days.... depending on oil temp i guess....

penrite.... hmmmm

Penrite HPR5 is $53.75 for 5L for the Euro if you were to purchase from me. If you want to go with the 10 Tenths Racing 10W40 for the S2000, which Penrite guarantee will not sheer (meaning it will not loose its viscosity, unlike most other oils) you will be looking at $65 for 5L. Penrite also have a 15W50 in the 10 Tenths Racing, but I will need to confirm prices
    Kermit EGK20A

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    any full syn oils 10-40 will do man
    i wouldnt worry abt branding cos youre changing every 5kkms

inb4fredoops
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9 Euro
    Is Penrite a lot better than Castrol?
    In terms of engine quietness and smoothness?
    IN NSW WE TRUST