Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Maintenance thread for EP3 TYPE R

Hi guys,

I recently purchased an EP3 Type R and am looking at servicing all aspects of the car.

I tried doing a search for spark plugs and oils but found it all very scattered and confusing. I thought a thread like this would be great for everyone to share what they are using to maintain there care and also to pass on recommendations to others

Engine Oil: Castrol Edge 5W30
    Comments: The only oil I have tried so I cant really compare

Oil Filter: ???
    Comments:

Brake Fluid: ???
    Comments:

Transmission Oil: Honda MTF
    Comments: The only oil I have tried so I cant really compare

Spark Plugs: ???
    Comments:

Air Filter: ???
    Comments:

Please feel free to copy, paste and edit the template.

Looking forward to your replies.

*Updated with Oil Filter and Brake Fluid
    Last edited by EP3TYPER; 14-07-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3
    I use:

Engine Oil: Redline 5w30 and Castrol Edge 5w30
    Comments: Both burn way too much and will not be using it again. Will be using Anglomoil Roadmaster 500 10w40 next.

Spark Plugs: NGK ZFR6FIX-11

Air Filter: GruppeM

Diff Oil: Non existant.

Brake fluid: OEM Honda Dot4. Not bad but had a lot of brake fade when I took it to the track. Now using Motul RBF600 which I cannot fault. Will be trying ATE Super Blue next as it is cheaper than the Motul.

Thanks for the reply. Updated what I missed!

Yes when using Castrol Edge mine burns too.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3
    I've used:

Engine Oil: Mobil 1 5W30, Royal Purple 5W30, Pentrite Enviro 5W30, Castrol Edge 5W30, Penrite 10 Tenths Racing 5W30
    Comments: I will be sticking with 10 Tenths Racing since it is decent for its price and i dont track it everyday so it is suitable for daily driving. I didn't burn any oil while using multiple companies. My engine is fine with 5W30.
    Side note: If you're burning oil, go for a thicker grade like 5W40 or 10W40. Common issue with the EP3s

Oil Filter: Honda Hamp, Honda OEM and Ryco Z547
    Comments: Same shit different smell

Brake Fluid: Castrol Super Dot 4
    Comments: Works really well and did not boil after 3 years + 1 track day

Transmission Oil: Motul 75W90,Honda MTF and Castrol Syntrans 75W85
    Comments: Motul was rough on cold starts and it will be hard to get into second gear. Honda was fine but only lasted around 10,000 - 15,000kms before it starts to feel a bit crap. I am currently using Syntrans and it still feels fine after 10,000kms and a track day.

Spark Plugs: BKR7EIX-11

Air Filter: Honda OEM and K&N
    Comments: For the price i would pick K&N since it is re-useable.

Engine Oil: Castrol Edge 5W30 for track and sometimes daily (currently using it for daily use) it burns around 100-200ml every 2-3 weeks depending on how hard I push it. I've also use Calibre 5w30, from supercheap for daily use a few times, felt fine and you get 5.5lt which is a bonus. So more oil to burn, and it isn't as painful on the wallet. I'm thinking of trying a castrol edge 5w40 or 10w60 for my next track outting. A mate of mine uses the 10w60 without any burning on his k20 eg.
    Comments: See above

Oil Filter: Nippon Max
    Comments: Cheap and good filter for the price.

Brake Fluid: Castrol super dot 4
    Comments: works fine for track and daily use.

Comments: Only tranny oil I've tried for the EP, super smooth. Good oil for the price.

Spark Plugs: I've been using the NGK BKR6EIX -11 for the past few years. However, you can also use the NGK IFR7G-11K (these were in the car when i got it). I've also tried one set of NGK ZFR6FIX-11, but they were harder to find and costed slightly more.
    Comments: The NGK BKR6EIX -11 are relatively cheap where I get them, readily available, none of them have failed on me so far.

Air Filter(s): I had a trust OEM replacement filter in the OEM air box when I bought the car. I replaced that with a pipercross OEM replacement, and ran a custom CAI flex pipe to the airbox, which gave a small gain. I then ran a custom short ram intake with a 3A Racing pod filter, good gains, loud vtec cross over, sucked in a lot of heat from the engine bay/headers. Now I'm running a gruppe M.
    Comments: If you have the money, get the gruppe M. Or if your on a budget get an injen CAI kit.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Looks like there is starting to be some consistency.

Is there a difference between BKR6EIX-11 and BKR7EIX-11 or was it a typo?

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3
    its the same plug, just different heat ratings. the 6 is the hotter plug.

Too many options with the plugs lol.

Is there one that would be recommended more for daily driving duties?

I don't know too much about heat ratings..

Quote Originally Posted by RPS.13 View Post
    Engine Oil: Castrol Edge 5W30 for track and sometimes daily (currently using it for daily use) it burns around 100-200ml every 2-3 weeks depending on how hard I push it. I've also use Calibre 5w30, from supercheap for daily use a few times, felt fine and you get 5.5lt which is a bonus. So more oil to burn, and it isn't as painful on the wallet. I'm thinking of trying a castrol edge 5w40 or 10w60 for my next track outting. A mate of mine uses the 10w60 without any burning on his k20 eg.
    Comments: See above
    Read somewhere calibre full synth is the same as castrol edge. Do you know anything about that?
    KEEP IT VIET | KEEP IT JDM
    FaLL iN LoVe WheN YoU aRe ReAdY, NoT WhEN YoU ARe LOnEly

Quote Originally Posted by charliebrown View Post
    Read somewhere calibre full synth is the same as castrol edge. Do you know anything about that?
    Calibre is made by Castrol iirc but unsure if same formula as Edge...
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3
    Calibre full syn is off the shelf ages ago. It does not exist anymore

FYI: Calibre is rebranded Caltex and not Castrol. Hence the red star caps on the bottles
    Last edited by stienerv2; 15-07-2013 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stienerv2 View Post
    Calibre full syn is off the shelf ages ago. It does not exist anymore

FYI: Calibre is rebranded Caltex and not Castrol. Hence the red star caps on the bottles
    Been very long since I worked at SCA Lolz
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter