Car:
    Odyssey RB3

Damping force and spring rates Question

Hi All,

I have a RB3 MY14 Odyssey.
    Got Tein Street Flex with EDFC.
    Also front and rear Cusco sway bars.

Have two issues, possibly or only one.

The damping force I have left at 0 - 0, as it's only just firm enough for me.

Also, the new front and rear springs are 10kg/mm, but the rear is still a bit bouncy on speed humps.

Questions.. What is the main contributor to the bouncy feel - would it be the lack of damping force, or the spring rate too low, or a combination of the two?

Has anyone had their dampers re-valved to be stiffer/stronger? What was the overall change (in clicks) you gained for equivalent "feel"?

Should I look at 11 kg/mm or 12 kg/mm for the rear?
    Will the 11 be noticably stiffer, or should I skip 11 and go straight to 12?

the sway bars really help to stabilise the car, but the overall compliance still in the suspension leads me to want more stiffness.

Thanks

Simon
    Digital is Only ON or OFF

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Tein Flex only has rebound adjustment. EDFC does not control stiffness (or apparent stiffness which can be altered by damper bound). So when you set 0-0, the rebound is at the strongest. Try 0 - 5 to 0 - 10 to see if it reduces the bounciness of the rear by weakening the damper rebound effect.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Odyssey RB3
    Thanks, no it's worse. 0-0 is the "stiffest"

how does spring pre-load fit into the adjustment regime?? I have just set it at the 10mm default (as specified by Tein.)

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    Spring preload defines the amount of force required to overcome the spring to initiate spring travel - if you have 10mm of preload, that is 100kg required on the spring prior to any deflection of the spring (for your 10kg/mm spring), until 100kg is reached on the spring, your spring is acting as an infinite spring. Try reducing the preload to 5mm. I usually use 5mm on street cars, 10mm is abit much.

Try the preload adjustment first, the rear will be "bouncy" as it's considerably stiffer, you can try getting softer springs for the rear but I doubt you will get it much better with the setup you have.

Member Array
    Car:
    Odyssey RB3
    Thanks Chris, I think that answers the over-all question.. I need to increase the damper force more - so off to Tein for re-valving.

If it's going to be more bouncy with stiffer spring, then that's not going to fix the problem on its own.
    Maybe a combination of stiffer spring and tighter valves will make it stiffer and more controlled.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 TC'd RB1
    I've just installed some pre-owned Super Wagons with EDFC... hate it... too freaking bouncy even with dampening set at max 16 for me. The spring rate is 10kgf front and rear

If your EDFC is showing 0 - 0 it means dampening is set to the softest, 16 is the hardest

Use to run Taiwan coils with 12F/15R and 15F/15R. the 15F/15R is too stiff. The 12F/15R combo was really good, regret not getting the same set.

Personally I think the Teins are too soft for my liking

But saying that my Super Wagons are 3rd hand and might be in need of servicing.
    Old man that drives slow cars

Member Array
    Car:
    Odyssey RB3
    Strange - when I set to 16 it's way too bouncy, and 0 is the hardest.

might get 12's when I get the valves done.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 TC'd RB1
    lol you are right!!! "face palm" just checked my manual again 0 is the stiffest hahahahaha no wonder it's so soft
    Old man that drives slow cars

Member Array
    Car:
    Odyssey RB3
    LOL haha