Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    CL9

How to PLASTI DIP Whole Car

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: Plasti Dip is the easiest way to change the look of your car, you can get a outstanding colour of your car or even customize whatever colour you like.

Required:

Plasti Dip (Pre-thinned),
    Electric spray guns (Ozito 300w or Wagner W550 from bunnings),
    Power cord extension,
    2x Masking tapes (Get the good quality ones, cheap ones will have remaining),
    Microfibre cloth (must be dry),
    Stick for mixing well the paint,
    Mask for yourself,
    a knife,
    A good weather or do it in a garage,
    A lot of Newspaper,
    4x large rubbish bin bags (optional),
    100ml solvent based thinner

Steps:
    1. Wash your car, don't need to be detail cleaned, but clean all the dust on the part that you want to dip. If you want dip the wheels, make sure they are deep cleaned.

2. Mask your car. If you want to dip it with 2 tone or multi tone colour, you have to do it one by one. For example, like mine, for black roof and bonnet and white body, I suggest dip the roof and bonnet first, after it is done, start doing white on the rest of the body. Now masking is one of the most important part of plasti dip, the better you mask, the less work you do after dipped.

a. use newspaper for large surface, eg. windows
    b. mask to the very edge to the surface you want to paint using masking tape

c. for doors, mask to the inside of rubber

d. take off the grille if you don't want to paint it, insert a newspaper to protect paints going into the engine bay

e. as I already dip my roof and bonnet, I mask them all.
    f. if you don't want to dip the wheels, mask the whole tyres using large rubbish bin bags. Or if you want to spray the wheels as well, mask the break calipers and pads.

This is how it look like after masking done.

3. Put your mask on! Start protecting yourself now!

4. Prepared Plasti Dip. Stir well before pouring into the electric spray gun

5. Start dipping!
    a. usually 6 coats will be enough, but sometimes you will need extra 2-3 coats depends on the contrast of the original colour of your car and the colour you want.
    b. Important! For the 1st and 2nd coat, don't make it too thick, otherwise the liquid will flow down.
    c. make your nozzle of the spray gun 90 degrees to the surface you are applying, see photo:

d. spray one panel at once, for example spray driver door from top to the bottom before moving to the rear door.
    e. move your hand in a line while spraying, then spray 50% overlap when spray the nex line.
    f. wait about 20-30 minutes between each coat, wait longer for the 1st and 2nd coat, depends on the weather condition. You can tell from the surface of the paint.

this looks still wet.

this looks dry.

this is how it looks after the 1st coat, a very thin coat.

6. Your car should be covered well after 6 coats, apply more if you feel not enough. My car is applied 6 coats, this is how it looks:

7. Before remove all masking, use a knife to cut the edge between the masking and paint, if you don't do this step, when you peel off the excess part, the other parts will be peeled off together.

8. Start peel off the excess paints.

9. Use the dry microfibre cloth to wipe off the overspray on windows or wheels, etc.

10. Use some thinner to clean the electric spray gun.

This is how my car turns out!

Other comments: It normally takes about 2 days to complete the whole car, but most of time is waiting, you need to have patient when waiting for each coat to dry. Sometimes the spray gun will stuck inside, you can uninstall it and clean it inside.

Warning: Plasti Dip and thinner are FLAMMABLE LIQUID, please don't smoke around while you are doing the project. Also the smell is really bad when spraying, please keep children away from the area.
    Last edited by tmnzw; 02-12-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG8
    good DIY dude, too bad you forgot to mask wheels lol...

Where and how much did you get that big bucket of plasti dip for??
    Why don't you tell your daddy to comb his damn hair, look like some spiders is having a meetin' on his head.

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by xclusive_eg8 View Post
    good DIY dude, too bad you forgot to mask wheels lol...

Where and how much did you get that big bucket of plasti dip for??
    Thanks! I did mask the wheels using the cardboard, but just they not cover well. I used the rubbish bags before, but when I did my car, there is none left, lol.
    Actually I own a business both doing and selling plasti dips. So I got a bulk price. But this is my car, and I am going to dip it every 3 months to promote my business.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    nice work and detail

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    nice work and detail

how long did this take you?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    nice work and detail
    Thanks mate!

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    nice work and detail

how long did this take you?
    Normally take 2 days...I can do a whole car in 1 day in summer...

Member Array
    Car:
    EG,EK,DA,
    how easy is it to peel off? how did you remove the blue - looks too simple.
    Last edited by xjm; 13-06-2014 at 03:04 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Do you think it will cause damage to the paintwork in the long run?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by xjm View Post
    how easy is it to peel off?

how did you remove the blue - looks too simple.
    It took me 2 hours to remove the whole car, lol. Use your nail to scratch hard, easy to start from corner.

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    Ummm... I can't say now, we try it on a car for more than 1 year, when peel it off, not much damage, except for the nail scratch when peel it off, but it can be easy fix. A lot of people in the USA did this and they didn't say anything about damage the car paint.

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    curtis, wanna do that to my eg?
    connorling, your profile and evidenced by your post tells me alot about what type of feral you are..... all class 'hay'!!!! ps. not your m8....