Member Array
    Car:
    FD Civic Modulo

R18A oil question

I've got a quick (noob type) question about the oil I am using in my 2010 Civic with an R18A. I currently use Valvoline 10W-40 drum oil (Was using 10W-40 Castrol Magnetec before). When I say drum oil, it means my friend has a mechanic workshop and buys them in 150L drums... so I pay him like $3 a liter and scoop it into my own clean container to bring home for oil changes.

I've got 25,800KMs on the odometer as of today so the next oil change is around the 28K mark. I change my oil every 5000KM or so, have pushed it to 7000KM once though cause I was moving house and the place was so messy I couldn't even move myself, let alone the car into the driveway. Filter gets changed at 15K (before the 20K in manual) with an OEM Honda one.

Now I'm not the best with oils, but Honda dealership FEO genuine oil is 10W-30. Should I be switching to 10W-30 oil? Or will 10W-40 be fine? I'm not a hard driver and rarely drive... in fact car spent all June tucked away cause I was using the bus in winter to work for free heating... plus petrol is a bit dear.

If you've only got 25,800kms on the car, you should be using what Honda specs
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

As what DreadAngel said, I'd stick with Honda specifications, have a look inside your owners manual, it states in there what oil is best to use.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    use 10-30 unless you're burning oil

which i highly doubt.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    honda stop stocking that oil, well at least in WA.

but yer, stick with honda spec.
    connorling, your profile and evidenced by your post tells me alot about what type of feral you are..... all class 'hay'!!!! ps. not your m8....

The local honda dealer here use 10w-40.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD Civic Modulo
    Quote Originally Posted by lolmclol View Post
    As what DreadAngel said, I'd stick with Honda specifications, have a look inside your owners manual, it states in there what oil is best to use.
    Now where's the damn owners manual. :P

This is what happens when you are unorganised! NOTE: be organised.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    You don't HAVE to use Honda oil,any reputable brand 30 rated will be fine

Member Array
    Car:
    FD Civic Modulo
    Okay, so I have a problem now... can't find the manual... but I can find the log book. Hmm...

Anyone care to share the bit of the manual that specifies oil types?

Went to Honda and there's an ULTRA FEO now, which is 0W-20?! Apparently compatible with my FD...

... and at Supercheap, I saw the lowest grade of Magnetec was 5W-30? Bit expensive though...

Use 10W-40.

It is what my honda dealer use.
    It is what the manual says is fine to use.

This is from the workshop service manual from the civic hatch for the L13A3 and R18A2 engine.
    Last edited by Grayfox; 14-08-2013 at 08:11 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD1
    the murricans at 8thcivic like to use 5w-20, which is hard to find here so i went with 5w-30

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Standard Honda viscosities are 0w-30, 5w-30, 10w-30, 0w-40, 5w-40 and 10w-40. Newer engines may list 0w-20 as well, but I prefer to stick to the 30's and 40's.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2