Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Brake pad material asbestos?

Hey ppl just wondering if anyone knows what materials are actually used in brake pad manufacture of all kinds, i heard asbestos is used and can be harmful (dont know what type of pads), im currently using ferodo ds2500 and its a new compound so asbestos shouldnt be present..anyone know?

Brake pads can be made of many different compounds with material including organic/non-asbestos, metallic/metal, ceramic, carbon, etc...

DS2500 I don't believe it to be asbestos?

Very few pads left in production would have asbestos...
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Quote Originally Posted by DreadAngel View Post
    Brake pads can be made of many different compounds with material including organic/non-asbestos, metallic/metal, ceramic, carbon, etc...

DS2500 I don't believe it to be asbestos?

Very few pads left in production would have asbestos...
    Asbestos is banned world wide. Can't be used or stock piled. Been like that for years now.
    Import Performance and Styling
    -= Official distributors for Password JDM =-

Quote Originally Posted by Cartoon View Post
    Asbestos is banned world wide. Can't be used or stock piled. Been like that for years now.
    Must've misread the Japanese then XD
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

yea i thought so, its just if people dont know and it does contain it can be pretty bad..lol,

Quote Originally Posted by Type FN View Post
    yea i thought so, its just if people dont know and it does contain it can be pretty bad..lol,
    Some countries prob use it but its unknown and obviously not listed as a material.

If it was in brake pads they would not be allowed into the country. The writing prob states they do not contain it

Some countries prob use it but its unknown and obviously not listed as a material.

If it was in brake pads they would not be allowed into the country. The writing prob states they do not contain it

I know it's banned and all but this day and age you just can't be sure anymore...lol, can't even trust food we eat let alone some brake pads for cars...hahah

I know it's banned and all but this day and age you just can't be sure anymore...lol, can't even trust food we eat let alone some brake pads for cars...hahah
    Talking about food. Funny how I get sick when I return to australia and eat our food here after a trip to Vietnam

Talking about food. Funny how I get sick when I return to australia and eat our food here after a trip to Vietnam
    google top 9 fake foods from china...hahah, you will be amazed.

Hey ppl just wondering if anyone knows what materials are actually used in brake pad manufacture of all kinds, i heard asbestos is used and can be harmful (dont know what type of pads), im currently using ferodo ds2500 and its a new compound so asbestos shouldnt be present..anyone know?
    New compound brake pads are graphite. Asbestos got outlawed many years ago, sometime in the 90s in Australia. Unless your DC2R has never had its brake pads changed, or your running some cheap shit imported directly from China, or somewhere similiar, you're running graphite pads. It makes two tenths of crap all difference though... you can still get pneumoconiosis and silicosis from breathing in graphite dust so I wouldn't stand around breathing in brake dust.

The belief that you're safe because their graphite pads is facile and in actual fact, really a misnomer in the long term. You're trading one type of risk for another asbestosis as opposed to silicosis or pneumoconiosis either way if you breath enough of the shit in you're going to be dead from not being able to breath within give or take 40 years.
    Last edited by Integra-GSi; 17-09-2013 at 08:14 PM.

The prob with asbestos was how fine te fibers break down.

You right but on trading one risk for another but I do think the risk is reduced with graphite.

Everything gives u cancer or something anyway

Yep... It's reduced, I'd still not run the risk of breathing in brake dust though if it could be helped at all. Asbestosis isn't a fun thing, I met a guy at TAFE about 10 years ago now, he had asbestosis and had been living with it for 20 odd years, I'm not sure where he's at now, but I'm sure he's not well. It's a shit of a way to die as you slowly lose your lung function until you can't breath, wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
    Last edited by Integra-GSi; 17-09-2013 at 10:00 PM.