Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    '93 EG Si

My Baby EG5 Civic

Current aim of this build: To restore the much needed 20+ year old hatchie. Install all the goodies that I have hoarded.

Aiming to transfer this red rocket into essentially an EG 'Type R' and beyond (basically all the goodies of a DC2R), cute little street-able 4 banger, setup to able to perform out-fkn-standing on the track and drag.

EG5 = Top of line AUDM's EG.

EG6 = Japan's top of line EG Civic, more like a 'type s'.

Honda Type R models are special performance editions of their respective model families.

The design of Type R models was originally focused on race conditions, with an emphasis on minimizing weight, and maximizing performance potential (e.g. engine tuning, suspension set-up). Thus, Type R models were first conceived for racetracks. However, due to Honda's increased focus on their highly regarded VTEC engines, Type R vehicles were eventually designed for a much wider market.
    (Wiki - Honda Type R - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Type_R)

-------------------------------------------------

How my EG is at, as of now:

Hey Ozhonda guys and the few gurls,

this is my first introduction. My nickname is '3K9', or you peeps can call me 3K or KKK. I'm not racist, my initials just happens to be Kelvin K***** K***. I am Chinese, I was born in the year of the Dog, so that's where the 9 comes from. Also co-incidentally the pronunciation, K9. Might as well make my nickname somewhat meaningful. Hence, 3K9. Yo dawg, meaning within meaning within meaning, yo!

So about two years ago, I started looking for my first car. Working at HJ back then, in Year 11, my budget was only $3500 - $4K. I wanted a japanese car, and Hondas caught my interest. Was looking at EKs, but back two years ago, they were $4, 5K+, just out of my budget. So next was the EG Civic, looking at pictures, I instantly fell in love with them! Man, their curves are so sexy! The price was right, I knew I had to own one, either the Si or the VTi model!

And so I found a red Si '93 model for the right price. I didn't even have my Ls back then (blame my Mum), had to ask my mates to come with me to pick up the car. From the Inner West area, we went all the way to Minto to view the car.
    The car was at 20*,***kms, came with gunmetal Rota Grids, immoboliser, M3 Style side mirrors, fog lights, stock intake arm with a dirty pod filter, some sort of muffler, blown Sony rear speakers, no front speakers. TWO sets of coilovers; Buddyclub Racing Specs at the front, and Teins (dunno the model) at the back. Wth? O.o Is that Ok?
    Passenger side window untinted while the rest of the windows are tinted! Yes, that leads to that the Civic was broken into. Found some shattered glass underneath the seat a few days later. There are random screwdriver marks here and there. Some interior pieces are missing. No service history at all.
    The previous owner said he only had it for only a month. Never the less, I still bought the car. Left the Civic on the street and then at the Mechanics for 1year and 10months. I'm sorry Civic!

Pics from the previous owner. Sorry for such small pics. Can't find the larger ones.
    Apparently the Civic was repainted. Cheap shit paint job I tell you. But the roof was faded a fair bit.

My first mod! Got a carbon fibre penis whale intake from PasswordJDM + velocity stack. Took exactly a week to arrive from the U.S. Love the low rumble.

Parked the Civic infront of my mates place. About 1.5 years ago, somebody reversed into my car. Dunno who did it. No note was left. Some hinges of the headlights and corner lights are broken, the bonnet was fked, and the right foglight cover. Cracked the paint in the front bumper. The corners are held on with cable ties. I got a carbon vinyl wrapped bonnet off a member here, who got it off another member on here.

Luckily, my mate's Dad was a panel beater for 15 years. I owe him big time.

I just rego'd my car last week. Had to changed to the stock airbox to pass blueslip.
    Last edited by 3K9; 13-01-2017 at 11:57 PM.
    Currently officially unofficially Ozhonda's vinyl sticker distributor:
    1 Small 150 x 29mm: $6 posted
    1 Large 250 x 43mm: $8 posted

IG: thenameis3k9

Member Array
    Car:
    '93 EG Si
    Got a set of stockies from the wreckers because the rubber on the Rotas are so worn out. Paid $120.
    I am surprised how well the Civic is handling on stockies, lowered on coilovers. If I push it hard around corners, the front end wobbles. Can't wait for more handling mods!
    The alignment was out a bit to the left, maybe because the left tyre is more worn than the right. I set the left tyre's psi to +1 higher than the right's, fixed! Drives straight! ;D When I take medium-hard right turns, there's this light grinding noise coming from the front. What could it be, The CV joint, bearings?

Washed and waxed.

The exhaust tone is quite nice. It's only loud when you put your foot down.

Cracked and chipped paint, broken foglight cover, and black paint on the grill is peeling off. Probably will get a new set of foglight covers, repaint the grill properly black.

All dried up. How do I repair, replace it?

Apparently the car was keyed on the front left fender when the previous owner had it. It has rusted

A large mark in the middle of the bonnet. Dunno how that happened.

Things to do soon list:

- DIY Major Service
    - Sand down and respray all wipers.
    - Clean engine bay.
    - Repaint front grill BLACK.
    - Add a pipe from the behind the right foglight which will lead to the hole up the airbox/intake.
    - Relocate the immboliser. It's in the stock airbox's way.
    - Cannot open/close passenger side window from passenger's switch. Need to somehow fix that.
    - Passenger side window is operating slowly. I'll fix that.
    - Side power mirrors aren't working. Will need to figure out how to fix it.
    - New set of front and rear speakers. Going with Pioneers. No sub or amp. I don't want that extra weight.
    - Re-tint the car.
    - Completely replace all bushings with Hardrace ones.
    - Front Spoon lip.
    - Put the Rotas back on with a new set of rubber.
    - Respray calipers red, because +25kws, MCM style!

Things to do later list:

- Weight reduction.
    - Handling mods.
    - LSD
    - Lower transmission gear ratio.
    - Headers
    - Maybe recondition engine, build with aftermarket parts. Wanna build a 13 sec NA Honda D series yo!
    - JDM Exhaust system
    - Hondata tuning.
    Last edited by 3K9; 15-11-2013 at 08:37 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    '93 EG Si
    Driving home from work. The Police was setting up the RBT on Victoria Rd Ryde tonight, just outside the Police Station, I wanted to turn left but it was blocked, stopped behind a Police car that was blocking the street that I wanted to turn into, as I turned to the right lane, this Toyota Camry came pass, my right fender hit the Camry's front left tyre. The Camry's tyre blew and the steelie was dented. My cable tied corner light became loose, and fender bent. Luckily there was just minor damage too the both of us. Need to get a wheel with decent tread for the Camry. Koreans, they are so kind and forgiving.

If anyone has a good condition red right fender, please tell me!
    Last edited by 3K9; 19-09-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R

so is this like a slide hammer?
    bad luck man
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    '93 EG Si
    so is this like a slide hammer?
    bad luck man
    Yea, it's like a hammer. Slide that thing with the handle and bang it against the piece of block on the rod.

My Indian retired neighbour, he decided to help me fix the damage that was done last night. Managed to bend parts of the fender back to shape, and used a rubber band to secure the corner light in place.

Any tips on popping out the dent on top of the wheel arch?
    Last edited by 3K9; 19-09-2013 at 02:57 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED+HRV+CRX+CRZ
    Cracked Roof mouldings...... I buy parts from hondapartsonline.net Spent $900 on windscreen surrounds, inside and outside weather strips for doors, a very useful cup holder, several information decals, and several other spare parts that have faded over time.

But they won't deliver roof mouldings because they are too long for USPS and FedEx was hundreds. Honda Australia will want a bomb! I bought a sunroof panel for the CRX a couple of months ago. It was $330 landed, plus $160 for my local guy to paint, total $490. Honda Australia wanted $800 for the panel alone.

Remove the roof mouldings by sliding forward. Tricky buggers to get back on. I use a butter knife with a right angle about 1CM from end, works a treat.

I removed my mouldings, sanded back until smooth, and PlastiDipped them with 7 coats of (matte) black (all Plastidip is matte), they look 9/10.

About to Plastidip my 16" JDM ITR wheels white, we will see how that goes! If I don't like it I can peel it off....

Member Array
    Car:
    '93 EG Si
    Quote Originally Posted by corsa59 View Post
    Cracked Roof mouldings...... I buy parts from hondapartsonline.net Spent $900 on windscreen surrounds, inside and outside weather strips for doors, a very useful cup holder, several information decals, and several other spare parts that have faded over time.

But they won't deliver roof mouldings because they are too long for USPS and FedEx was hundreds. Honda Australia will want a bomb! I bought a sunroof panel for the CRX a couple of months ago. It was $330 landed, plus $160 for my local guy to paint, total $490. Honda Australia wanted $800 for the panel alone.

Remove the roof mouldings by sliding forward. Tricky buggers to get back on. I use a butter knife with a right angle about 1CM from end, works a treat.

I removed my mouldings, sanded back until smooth, and PlastiDipped them with 7 coats of (matte) black (all Plastidip is matte), they look 9/10.

About to Plastidip my 16" JDM ITR wheels white, we will see how that goes! If I don't like it I can peel it off....
    Thanks corsa59. Yea, many other mouldings on my Civic are showing it's age.
    When you sand back the roof mouldings, do you just use sandpaper? Got any tips for me?

- - -

Can sum-boddeee please recommend me where to get all the parts for the major service, like the timing belt, seals, fuel filter, etc and what brands to use, OEM or aftermarket?! I am looking to tune my civic to a competitive level with the stock D16 engine while I am on my Ps, eg, to a stock-ish DC2R, DC5R level. So with the parts for the major service, or any other parts you guys recommend me to change, I'd rather spend a bit more money on good quality aftermarket parts than OEM ones, for the parts that are applicable, upgradable from OEM. I know Honda OEM is good stuff, but stuff like Hardrace bushings seems to be definitely worth it.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED+HRV+CRX+CRZ
    Yes, sandpaper is the way to go.

It is impossible to get it completely smooth, and if you try, you will lose the shape of the moulding.

So I used a fairly rough sandpaper (120) very lightly just to knock off all the loose pieces, to give me a solid surface. Then I applied a few layers of Plastidip. It tends to fill in all the holes and cracks. The sand again, this time with 400. A few more coats, another sand with 800, and then 2 final coats. Leave unsanded.

You can if you want, finish off with 3 - 5 layers of Glossifier to get a shiny look, not for me, I like the matte look.

Member Array
    Car:
    '93 EG Si
    Thanks again.^

Car is consuming x1.5-2 times more fuel than it should be, or the fuel gauge is off. I just filled up 20 litres when the needle was a bit above E, the period when the low fuel light goes on and off. After fueled up, the needle is just under the 3/4 mark. What. Or, the tank is dented?

Hmmm......

Also, when I am driving in 1st gear, and if I release some of or all the throttle, the car jerks. What are the possible symptoms, or is it normal? Other than that, the car is running good, no CEL.
    Also about the 1st gear, when I shift down to 1st from 2nd, I have to use more pressure to engage. Reasons? Maybe not enough transmission fluid, as shifting to all gears is not as smooth as what I reckon it could be.
    Last edited by 3K9; 23-09-2013 at 11:35 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    '93 EG Si
    Update. Barely done anything. On a tight schedule. Over a month ago, I put back my set of Rota Grids on wrapped with new Kumho KU31 tyres. (Grey imports)
    Haz been hunting and admiring the variety of aftermarket parts...
    Hunting for a decent set of tools, with a $1K-$2 budget in mind.

Was trying to get a decent shot or to with my phone camera.

Few few attempts later,

Then BAMMMM!!!!!

DAT shiny ass!

Had to take a shot. There was a Jazz at the tyre shop with genuine TE37s.

Real and fake TE37s, yay!

Tightened up the throttle cable a bit. Less accelerator pedal play now. I actually messed it up, over tightened! Do NOT over tighten!

After work, found out that the car won't start, found out that the brake light switch grommet broke into pieces, and was draining the battery.

Well, here's my short DIY;

How to DIY Brake light switch, DIY style.

You'll need:

- A pair of scissors
    - Your chose of material
    - A wrench, or a spanner (Dunno what size)
    - Super glue

Time required: 5 minutes.

I just cut up some small pieces of cloth material, I stacked up 3 or 4 pieces together, until the button on the switch is fully pressed. Glue them up with superglue. Apply super glue on one side of the stacked material, then quickly stick it to the end of the brake pedal arm.

Now turn the engine on if it isn't on already, slow apply the brakes, the point where the brakes are engaged, the rear taillights should come on. Best to do it with the end of the car to the wall, or just take of your interior covers for the taillights. Loosen the nut and adjust if necessary.
    I will eventually get a replacement grommet.

This super glue is the best I have used!

Last edited by 3K9; 15-11-2013 at 11:36 AM.

a 10cent coin works good too

Member Array
    Car:
    '93 EG Si
    ^ Yea, I guess.

Here's a slightly different method:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...-on-%28PICS%29