How to set "hot tyre pressures" in Neova AD08s and ADVAN race tyres

Ever wondered what tyre pressures to use at the race track? You're not alone.

One of the most common questions at amateur track days is "what tyre pressures should I run?" Most drivers don't answer this question confidently because it's a bit of a black art.

If the driver of this Improved Production Racing Association Holden Commodore SS VN Group A wandered up to me and asked "what tyre pressures should I be running" I'd suggest that the manufacturer's recommended pressure for the ADVAN A050 tyre (not the car) is around 30- 32 psi hot. But it's a big, heavy and powerful car....

If the driver of this 1960s mini (I'm guessing the age) came up and asked "what tyre pressures should I use?" I'd say the manufacturer's recommended pressure for the old ADVAN A032R tyre (not the car) is around 32 -34 psi hot. But it's a small, light and not very powerful car...

If the mini was using ADVAN A050 tyres the recommended pressure would be the same as the Group A Commodore, 30 - 32 psi hot. Don't believe it? Neither did I at first. They're completely different cars. This was first explained to me by the Yokohama motorsport tyre fitter at a Yokohama V8 racing ute round in Darwin. It took at least four beers for this sink in.

After a decade of working for Yokohama and racing my own VW beetle and Subaru WRX I decided to pass on some knowledge. In the last 12 months I've attended Circuit Club and ADVAN track days armed with a pressure gauge and pyrometer to help participants get the most out of the Yokohama tyres.

View the full article on the Official Yokohama Australia website.
    Last edited by matespace; 10-06-2015 at 11:12 AM.
    Automotive social media http://motorculture.com.au or call us on 02 9418 9008

For some daily car culture check out http://zengarage.com.au