2002 Honda Integra Engine oil and Auto Trans oil specs

Hi all

I have a Honda Integra, 2002, 2.0L (Note: NOT a Type R - just standard 2.0L), automatic with approx 210,000 klms on the clock. I am going to do the next service myself and I just wanted to verify that I am using the correct engine oil and auto transmission oil.

SuperCheap Auto was having a 20% off sale so I purchased the following oils:

Engine oil: Penrite Everyday Full Synthetic 10W-40 "extra ten full zinc"
    API SN/CF, ACEA, A3/B4, JASO MA

Auto Transmission oil: Nulon 100% Synthetic, Multi-Vehicle
    Suitable for "Dextron II, Dextron III, Dextron VI"
    "Compatible with Honda ATF Z1"

As I did not get the Honda Service Manual with the car on purchase I am not sure of the specs, so I purchased what I thought are oils that might be over specification to be safe. However, if I have made a mistake please advise so I can return the oils to SuperCheap and get the right specs??

I also heard that Honda dealers sell an auto transmission oil for the 2002 Integra car called: "ATF DW1" which apparently supercedes the former Honda auto trans oil called: "ATF Z1" Is the above Nulon oil I bought actually compatible with the "ATF DW1" Honda oil??

Also I bought a Ryco Z79A oil filter - there were two options for the 2002 Integra, the other being a smaller filter. I bought the Z79A slightly larger filter (appeared same thread size) - hope its the right choice??

Also can anyone give me a link to a website that gives me free access to the list of Integra 2002: 1] specs OR even better 2] The Integra 2002 Honda Service Manual

Thanks
    Last edited by integra1; 15-09-2013 at 02:11 AM.

10-40 synthetic engine oil should be fine but dunno about the the auto oil. I have a manual transmission. :P

Quote Originally Posted by DaRKNT View Post
    10-40 synthetic engine oil should be fine but dunno about the the auto oil. I have a manual transmission. :P
    Thanks Darknt

Will wait and see if I get advice on the auto trans oil

1] As far as the automatic transmission oil goes I rang Honda spares and was advised I should use Honda ATF DW1 which is the upgrade of Honda ATF Z1. I asked the Honda spares guy if the Nulon 100% Synthetic Multi Vehicle oil would be OK. He said he wasn't sure but said a local auto transmission repairer uses the Honda DW1 as well

I then rang two reputable professional automatic transmission repairer's/service businesses (asked to speak to a knowledgeable mechanic) and advised them of the above Honda and Nulon ATF oils. Both said that the above Nulon ATF oil should be OK for the Honda 2002 Integra. One said that Honda put in certain additives in their ATF oil for gear changes. Another said that Honda DW1 is a mix of synthetic oil and normal ATF oil, not 100% synthetic. So I said the Nulon 100% synthetic is overspec isn't it, so it should be OK if not better. He said it should be OK for the 2002 Integra.

I actually rang Nulon HQ in Sydney and explained the above in detail for the Integra 2002 series VTI 2Ltr, auto trans. Nulon said that the 100% Synthetic, Multi Vehicle oil would be OK to use. I said that on the Nulon oil bottle specs it said that it is compatible (equivalent) with Honda ATF Z1 and Honda says that they have upgraded their oil to ATF DW1 - why then isn't that spec on the Nulon bottle specs (only ATF Z1). Nulon said that "we can't update specs on bottles for every car, but that 100% synthetic will be fine for your car"

With the above checks I feel confident that the Nulon Multi Vehicle 100% synthetic ATF will cause no problem and perhaps work even better as it is over specifications being 100% Synthetic ATF

If I've made a mistake or been mis-advised please let me know?

2] Also does anybody know where I can get the 2002 Service manual online? as when I purchased my Integra it had the Log Books but not the Service Manual?
    Last edited by integra1; 23-09-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Its best to get the Honda automatic transmission fluid as its neither ATF or Dexron III and running the wrong automatic transmission fluid can mean a quick death to your gearbox.

As far as the oils go... anything between 10w-40 and 20w-40 should be OK in summer. If you're living in the southern states NSW, Vic, Tas, etc... 10w-40 will give you protection in bellow zero conditions. where 20w-40 won't give you as much protection in colder conditions.

Your engine is starting to get a few kilometres on it you might actually consider a thicker oil like a 15w-40.

Quote Originally Posted by Integra-GSi View Post
    Its best to get the Honda automatic transmission fluid as its neither ATF or Dexron III and running the wrong automatic transmission fluid can mean a quick death to your gearbox.

As far as the oils go... anything between 10w-40 and 20w-40 should be OK in summer. If you're living in the southern states NSW, Vic, Tas, etc... 10w-40 will give you protection in bellow zero conditions. where 20w-40 won't give you as much protection in colder conditions.

Your engine is starting to get a few kilometres on it you might actually consider a thicker oil like a 15w-40.
    Honda make a great engine and the 2ltr Integra despite the 210 klms is still very tight. Been serviced well

You said the Honda transmission fluid is neither ATF or DextronIII - If its not ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) what is it? I assumed it is part synthetic and part, say, Dextron VI ??

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Castrol website is a great source for finding out what type of oils and amount required for any type of vehicle

Thanks yenvy4

Look what I did was, I did one change of the Auto Transmission oil: Nulon 100% Synthetic, Multi-Vehicle, then a little later did another change with the latest Honda brand auto trans oil (ATF-DW1) just to be 100% safe. I did 2 changes because it needed it anyway. Also I got a good discount on the Honda oil. Each change took about 3.2 Ltrs