B16A2 compression test (NEED OPINIONS)

I picked up a B16A2 a couple of weeks ago that has some engine problems ( very loud ticking noise sounds as if its coming from the head but can't be to certain), so i decided to do a Compression test to see if there is a potential problem in the bottom end before taking the head apart.

Cylinder 1: 210 Psi
    Cylinder 2: 165 Psi
    Cylinder 3: 160 Psi
    Cylinder 4: 195 Psi

I then did a second test where i added a Teaspoon of oil to each cylinder

Cylinder 1: 210 Psi
    Cylinder 2: 190 Psi
    Cylinder 3: 210 Psi
    Cylinder 4: 215 Psi

With the first compression test prior to adding a teaspoon of oil, cylinder 2 and 3 are more than 10% below cylinder 1 and 4, does anyone have any suggestions or advice

The engine also hasn't been used for say 3-5 years and i also let the car warm up before i started the compression test ?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    Do you have access to a leakdown tester?

The rings are probably caked from sitting around for so long. It may clear up with some longer running - the "ticking" noise may be from the LMA's - they are prominent from the head area but seem to be deep. Is it a random tick?

Thanks for the reply, i don't have access to a leakdown tester at the momment. In regards to the loud ticking noise its not random i took the valve cover off and pushed down on the LMA's they don't seem to be sticking at all. Have you ever hear of anyone putting a positive wire from the battery to the vtec solenoid while the car is revved at around 2K and if the ticking stops when VTEC engages it means that the LMA's need replacing ? i have a video of the ticking noise but i am not sure if i can upload it on this forum ?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    I haven't heard of anyone doing that but you can, I'm not sure if there is enough oil pressure at 2krpm to actuate the pins correctly so perhaps try a higher engine speed.

Upload it to photobucket/youtube and link it - it will help alot.

I ran the motor through a couple of more tests and finally determined the rod bearings are gone so time to make a decision whether to tear down and rebuild it or possibly find a b18c7 just depends if i want to spend the extra money for the extra bang.

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2 Euro
    As Chris said, you need to do a leakdown test...
    My guess is broken ring lands