Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DC2R Tuning time

So i am thinking about tuning my ITR with S300. Basic mods - I/H/E.

Is anyone able to tell me (through your experience) how long a tune would take roughly?

I have spoken to a few tuners and they cant give me a straight answer - understandable but makes it hard to budget. As you can see, the car only has a few modifications (so i wouldnt expect more than a couple of hours on the dyno) with no idle issues - just running a bit rich. Would like to tune to get the most out of the mods, smooth out the VTEC 'kick', improve the midrange a fair bit and not run as rich.

Thanks.
    EG

A previous trader on here could tune in half an hour - about the time it took for them to upload someone elses map.

Back on topic though - you really need to have your car running tip top condition BEFORE tuning as this adds time to the tune to basetune , then fix issue/s - then tune again - all at $80-100 per hr it adds up. I would guess about 4-5 hrs for a tune.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    It shouldn't take longer then 2-3 hours. It's so damn easy to tune these engines, especially when they are in near standard format.

Don't know why you can't get a simple answer from the boys, i'm surprised to be honest.

K series engines take considerably longer due to the VTC maps that need tuning individually to have a "proper" tune. B series engines have 4 maps that need WOT tuning then economy/partial throttle tuning which takes 30minutes to do. The areas in between the map is common sense. Cold start can be done the next morning but to be honest on a street B18 with S300 you will never have an issue.

Thanks for the replies guys. Is it worth getting a basemap for a stock ITR loaded or one with I/H/E to save time? I figure it doesnt matter as the tuner will start from scratch?

What if there is NO basemap pre loaded, what happens then?
    EG

If there is no base map and the ECU can do VE tuning, i usually: guess the VE fig, decide on a target AFR and bam, got yourself a base map.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    The tuner will more than likely load up the ITR basemap and use that to start tuning from.

Quote Originally Posted by Chr1s View Post
    The tuner will more than likely load up the ITR basemap and use that to start tuning from.
    noob question, but where would he get the basemap from since Honda tuning here in Adelaide is almost non existent?
    A seller has S300 with his tuned basemap loaded - is it a matter of just editting what he has?
    EG

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    If it's anything like kpro it will have several maps to chose from including stock base map
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Quote Originally Posted by u mad? View Post
    If it's anything like kpro it will have several maps to chose from including stock base map
    Yea you are right, SManager has several calibrations for a wide variety of Honda engines built in.
    EG

Ozhonda Trader Array
    Everyone in Adelaide will try and sell you a tune "package" saying they'll start from square one blah blah blah. These packages are generally around $1k+. The two tunes I have had have been extremely disappointing (1 on Wolf 3D and 1 on Vipec). The build I am currently doing will be tuned by myself as I just can't find anyone to trust with highly strung 4 cylinders (not Honda). I have not heard one good report in Adelaide from people running Hondata - it seems that all the "tuners" are just not interested in learning the setup. PM if you're interested in who I'd suggest to avoid, I'm not in the business of bad mouthing other businesses but one experience I had was just terrible.

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    Subscribed.

I have just been quoted between 600-990 for a tune here in Adelaide - not including software. Pretty hefty if you ask me. Considering my civic with same mods was a 1.5hr tune for a total of $300
    EG