Door Open Indicator Light EK

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: Wire up “Door Open Indicator Light” for EK Civic.

Some people may have noticed on the lower spec EK’s there is no Door ajar warning light. If you’ve already upgraded to an EK9 cluster you should be able to see the symbol but it won’t light up so this mod will be as simple as adding wiring into the dash harness. I believe EK4 already has the light and necessary wiring where as EK1 doesn’t have either. I’m told EK sedan has the symbol in the cluster but no wiring.

This DIY requires you to have the correct cluster with the Door open symbol. If not, it can still be done but requires more work, involving adding in a diode, bulb and bulb holder, plus finding the symbol for the cluster.

Required:
    -Philips head screwdriver
    -Mini flat head screwdrivers
    -Cluster with “Door Open Symbol” (EK9, and I believe EK4 and EK sedan have them)
    -1 wire from cluster to underdash fusebox plug (Lt. Green/Red)
    -Electrical tape
    -Box cutter blade

Steps:
    Remove driver side lower dash cover
    Remove Cluster surround
    Remove Cluster

1. Cluster wire – Before you start you need to have this wire. The wire is located in the dash harness and goes from the cluster plug (top center) to the underdash fusebox light blue plug. The colour to be exact is Light green/Red but whats more important is the wire has to have the correct pins. Get this wire from the wreckers or where ever you can. To de-pin it, remove the white locking pieces and use a mini flathead to de-pin

Bit more background info – EK1’s have the wiring already set up in the main wire harness, it’s just missing the wiring to the cluster. This wire connects to the door triggers.

2. Fitting wire – Once you have the cluster removed you can start fitting in the wire. If you want to do a clean job, cut out the old electrical tape from the dash harness and split open the plastic tubing to fit your wire. Route it with the other wires so its neat and tidy, makes it look original.

Original image http://imageshack.us/a/img27/871/wpvy.jpg
    Ps. You don't have to remove the dash harness from the car

On the cluster side the wire goes in Pin 1 (on the center plug).

On the Fusebox side the wire goes in the bottom row Pin 3 (Light blue plug)

3. Testing – Connect your cluster back up. Turn ignition on, you should see the Door Open symbol light up. Press your door trigger to test it goes off

Tape up your dash loom with electrical tape and put everything back together

4. Cluster Light – To check if your cluster has the symbol, bulb and correct diode refer to below

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/716...tryugvlhuj.mp4

Other comments

Quick note (unrelated) for anyone with EK9 cluster. EK9 cluster doesn’t have the Key symbol for the immobiliser so if you want this back, you need to swap over your EK1 plastic symbol piece and add in a bulb and bulb holder
    Last edited by dorikin; 30-10-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Just looking through this again as I'm doing more cluster mods and wanted to add:

The above mod should work on the following AUDM clusters if you've upgraded on your EK1

-EK4 VTi-R
    -EM1 VTi-R
    -EK1 VTi Sedan
    -EJ8 VTi (possibly)