Importing 30+ year old vehicle - compliance?

From the reading that I have done modifications on vehicles imported >30 years old are less stringent than that of newer models. While there is no documentation on the matter, is it up to the discretion of the inspecting officer? Vehicle I'm bringing in has a current MOT in the UK so I'm not too concerned, but will the speedometer being in miles raise an issue? Any insight is appreciated.

I'm in vic and down here all that is needed is to get the car to pass a roadworthy inspection. Basically the vehicle is treated as if it was not an import/modified. I would imagine that QLD would be much the same.

In Vic, if the vehicle is built on or after 01/07/1988, a working speedo in km/h is needed to get a rwc, im fairly sure nsw had a date of '83.... hopefuly someone from qld can chime in and give a definitive answer

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    If its stock it should be fine, I believe no compliancing is required for 30+ yo vehicles. Not too sure about the speedo though....
    OEM parts whore

Looks like the metric conversion for Australia's measurements was 1969, if I understand the import regulation correctly then the car only has to meet the ADR for the year and month of manufacture if it is more than 30 years old. Is this correct? It would also mean that side intrusion bars do not need to be fitted as that wasn't mandatory until 1976. Alternatively could put it on Historic or Club rego and not have to worry about all of this.

This is correct if you're intending to import under the scheme for 30+ year old vehicles. The vehicle only has to meet the specific ADRs for the year it was manufactured which are far less stringent than the 15+ and RAWS/SEVS system. They are the specific ADRs for the year in which the vehicle was manufactured.

IF the ADRs say that an imperial speedometer, or words to that effect, are acceptable then you don't need a metric one. The same goes for seat belts, side intrusion bars, etc... Although, for ease of mind and the cost of a couple hundred dollars at most I'd still fit ADR approved seat belts and a metric speedo if it was going to be daily driven. It's more so of a pain in the arse factor having driven older cars with imperial speedos of working out what the miles add up to and the fact I don't feel comfortable riding without a seatbelt in cars these days though.
    Last edited by Integra-GSi; 06-12-2013 at 05:39 PM.