DC5R Track wheel and tire sizes!

Hey guys, Im looking to curcuit track my DC5R soon and a couple of 1/4 miles aswell. What would be a suitable size set of wheels and tires that will perform both on track and 1/4 mile.

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    I think the DC5 is hard to over-tyre as it's a relatively heavy car and easy to get decent power from. I'd start with something around 17x9" +30 to +35 with a 245/40. EDIT: This is based on circuit experience, ideally for drags you'd just get some smaller diameter wheels with slicks, but I expect a decent street tyre in 17" should work okay.
    Last edited by chargeR; 28-11-2013 at 02:29 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    trotts
    Quote Originally Posted by chargeR View Post
    I think the DC5 is hard to over-tyre as it's a relatively heavy car and easy to get decent power from. I'd start with something around 17x9" +30 to +35 with a 245/40. EDIT: This is based on circuit experience, ideally for drags you'd just get some smaller diameter wheels with slicks, but I expect a decent street tyre in 17" should work okay.
    Why not lose some offset and throw a 255 on there. 9 inch is plenty wide enough.

If your running street tyres and still have power steering, chuck on the biggest tyres you can get. Front end grip is hard to gain so bigger is better. Worry about the rear when you have the front dialled. Thats what circuit racing/time attack has taught me.
    BONUS ROUND
    There is still room on the bandwagon for you.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    Quote Originally Posted by thebob View Post
    Why not lose some offset and throw a 255 on there. 9 inch is plenty wide enough.

If your running street tyres and still have power steering, chuck on the biggest tyres you can get. Front end grip is hard to gain so bigger is better. Worry about the rear when you have the front dialled. Thats what circuit racing/time attack has taught me.
    I've got nothing against a 255, I simply mentioned a 245 as it is just a little easier to fit under the car without wrecking things. Hard to get away with more positive offset than +35 on a 9" wheel though guy, even that size will contact the rear trailing arm in some cases.

You're right that the front is where the magic happens, but I was guessing that OP was just starting out so in his case I'd avoid a staggered setup simply for economic reasons.

Member Array
    Car:
    trotts
    Im saying have less positive offset so you can run a 255. In the rear you could get away with running something like a 235/225 even. The rear tyres shouldn't really wear down much and you could just replace the fronts as needed and rotate the rears when camber has taken its toll.
    BONUS ROUND
    There is still room on the bandwagon for you.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    Quote Originally Posted by thebob View Post
    Im saying have less positive offset so you can run a 255. In the rear you could get away with running something like a 235/225 even. The rear tyres shouldn't really wear down much and you could just replace the fronts as needed and rotate the rears when camber has taken its toll.
    I guess I don't understand what you mean, you suggest a lower offset to suit a 255, but then suggest a 225 or 235 at the rear where inner clearance is most limited. You can run a 255 tyre on a 17x9 +35 at all four corners of a DC5R, and I see no reason to run an offset lower than what's required to assure inner clearance wheel and tyre clearance.

Still, even though you can just replace the front tyres more often with a staggered setup, I still wouldn't advise it for a beginner or intermediate track driver. Yes it will likely handle better, yes I run it on my own car, but it's also a shortcut to an inconsistent handling car if you end up with clapped out rubber on the rear and fresh on the front.

^^ Knows what he's talking about.. Listen to the advice being given.
    I can also tell you from Experience a 255 on a 17x9 +30 (i think that's the offset on my VS-XX) wheel while scrub on the inner chassis..
    Stick to 245, i have less issues now.. and i currently have a 17x9.5 +28 Front Wheel, no problems.. You may only need roll your front guards and remove the inner lining depend how low you are?