94 dc2 vtir rough idle, sounds like the car is misfiring

Just recently my dc2 started running rough on idle and sounds like it's misfiring (popping and splutter every few seconds) the car drives fine, it just doesn't want to idle properly. After a while of driving the engine bay seems to be very hot (although the temp gauge is on half way) and smells quite like something is burning like coolant or something.

I've tried searching through forums and have found nothing that seems to be the problem I'm having, sorry if I've missed the thread I need.

Alex.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK hatch, DC2
    when in idle, does it feel like it wants to stall ? revs constantly bouncing ? or same revs and popping and all

Quote Originally Posted by hoaanguyen View Post
    when in idle, does it feel like it wants to stall ? revs constantly bouncing ? or same revs and popping and all
    Revs are constantly bouncing when idling almost dies every now and then

For those experiencing the same problems check coolant hose running to the fast idle thermo valve (left hand side under the intake manifold on a dc2) replaced the split hose and car is running perfect now.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Bays are normally hot, especially if you're not running a heat shield over your header.

Just clean your IACV, check your FITV, check your spark plugs individually and make sure there's no water/liquid in your plug holes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    Bays are normally hot, especially if you're not running a heat shield over your header.

Just clean your IACV, check your FITV, check your spark plugs individually and make sure there's no water/liquid in your plug holes etc.
    Thanks for the reply. The problem has already been solved. It was the FITV.