Member Array
    Car:
    JDM PRELUDE

IDLE ISSUES SINCE AIR INTAKE 89 PRELUDE B20A6 engine

Hi everyone,

Dont know if anyone would know,

I put a 3 inch short ram intake in my gf's 89 prelude and knocked off all the plastic, space taking non-sense in the engine bay. Whilst doing it, i chucked about a quarter of a can of throttle body cleaner (dont think it was ever cleaned before judging by the amount of gunk dripping out) into only the throttle body. Since then, when the car warms up to operating temperature, the idle fluctuates between 1,000RPM and 1,500rpm at a slow-moderate speed only in Park and Neutral and it's fine during any other gear. I also changed a few of the vacuum hoses to silicone due to the warn out hard rubber ones. Can anyone suggest what may be the issue?

thanks
    andy

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Check your IACV
    idle air control valve - back of the intake manifold or the front
    also the first idle thermo valve FITV
    and while you're at it - bleed the coolant|

Number 13 and 9 are your answer
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    From the picture your IACV is at the front of the intake manifold so it will be easy to get to
    the FITV is at the back and you may some issues with the bulkhead/firewall being in the way

Maybe next time don't spray so much throttle body cleaner - itsm ore than likely you've stirred some gunk into the vaccum lines through the FITV/IACV

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM PRELUDE
    Thanks heaps for the detailed reply! So when I pull off the IACV, what do I check for and what do I clean??

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    When you pull off the IACV there should be two cooling lines running through it
    Make sure not to damage these
    When you pull it off - spray the shit out of it with brake cleaner (use an open space do not breath that crap in) or carby cleaner
    If you have a good mutlimeter you can apply + & - power to the terminals to see if the solenoid inside the device clicks open and closed
    When putting back together - because you let air get into the cooling system - you will need to bleed it

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM PRELUDE
    Thanks heaps for your help, ill attempt it tomorrow and let you know how the cookie crumbles!

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Good luck
    Hope all goes well

www.OzAccord.net/forum

i think the problem would be is that you sprayed the intake with throttle body cleaner, did you do this while the car was running?

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    adjust the Idle on the TB, screw it all the way down
    (part number one on the daigram i think)

you have a vacuum leak, make sure there are no open outlets on the intake manifold or throttle body! look out for unpluggged vacuum hoses, and nipples without anything on them.

when i cleaned my throttle body in my old civic i must of cleared gunk from my idle control screw and it made the car rev and drop constantly so from experience it could be that.

If that doesnt help make sure the coolant has been bled, incase the FITV is playing up, you can also take the FITV out and do this: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1564019

i find the IACV doesnt really help with these issues, unless its not on properly.