Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Golf GTI

advise on buying a euro

I'm considering getting back into a honda again for my next car, as accord euros have caught my eye lately.

Basically what I wanted to know was, is there a specific model I should be looking (i understand there are std/sport/lux/nav/limited according, pun intended, to carsales) for in the euro range, if I was intending to modify my the car? or are they all the same?

I'm just looking at the usual bolt on mods and some aftermarket cams, and a bit of dyno tuning (I hear K pro is what I need?)

I would suggest luxury with 6 speed manual - however they are the most difficult to find.

The sports 6MT would be the best option after that, in my opinion (weight wise as well, if you arent into the luxury thing - sunroof, leather seats etc.)

Doesn't matter if it's prefacelift (03-05) or facelift (05-07)

Mine is luxury auto and I was quoted by a worskhop in Syd for an auto to manual transmission conversion for approximately $1200 labor + parts. A few have gone the NA performance route with cam gear, intake work, fuel rail and tune - for approximately $4000. (This is NOT including I/H/E, which would definitely be necessary).

The dyno tune with Hondata FlashPro + Acura TSX ecu + immobiliser can cost up to approximately $2500. Kpro (from what I have read, happy to be corrected) is usually not recommended. A few have had some success with piggybacks (Haltech and GReddy) but it would seem the best and most used is the Hondata FlashPro.

I wanted to go the full NA route with upgraded camshafts, valve springs and oil pump + sump- but I've decided I'm just going to sell my euro.

You should check out some of the euro build threads on here. Steven's in the Accord Euro section is easily the greatest - but Jhim's old Euro (EUR011) in the build section was the first to go the performance route with a tune.
    Last edited by axispower; 07-01-2014 at 01:15 PM.
    K&N Typhoon CAI || Weapon-R Headers + High Flow CAT || APEX'i WS2 catback || Ralco RZ Pulleys || Progress RSB || Alutec FTB || Tein Street Basis || Enkei Lusso 18" x 8" +40
    REFLASHED AUDM ECU

Member Array
    Car:
    Golf GTI
    yeah, getting the right car with what I want is going to be tricky, but i'm in no rush. oh and it will DEF be manual!

Reason I ask about mods is because i'm coming from an MK6 golf gti, so i've become used to the power and want something in similar ball park, power wise. Anyone got any idea what sort of power I'd need to have similar acceleration to a golf GTI?

I wasn't aware that there was a facelift in 05, I'll have to look into the differences there.

RE: ecu: I think I confused myself with kpro and flash pro. Thanks for clearing that up.

Stevens accord is is amazing, I love that thing and Jhim's old car is for sale on car sales at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by EGB16A View Post
    yeah, getting the right car with what I want is going to be tricky, but i'm in no rush. oh and it will DEF be manual!

Reason I ask about mods is because i'm coming from an MK6 golf gti, so i've become used to the power and want something in similar ball park, power wise. Anyone got any idea what sort of power I'd need to have similar acceleration to a golf GTI?

I wasn't aware that there was a facelift in 05, I'll have to look into the differences there.

RE: ecu: I think I confused myself with kpro and flash pro. Thanks for clearing that up.

Stevens accord is is amazing, I love that thing and Jhim's old car is for sale on car sales at the moment.
    Only way you'll make enough power to match/surpass a Golf GTI is if you spend minimum 8k on the euro for NA power. Can be done - and it is very cool, but yeah. With that money, expect to make approximately 150kw atw and perhaps 230nm of torque (just from what I've seen I'm pulling those numbers out of my ass).

Any more power than that - and you'll need to spend more on top end work and the K20 oil pump conversion. Steven is making upwards of 165kw atw if I remember correctly. If you want to supercharge - set aside more than 10k. I know someone on the Aus Euro facebook page makes 350hp at the wheels with a comptech supercharger - but I think he has spent more than 20k on his euro with other mods, not including how much he paid for it.

The prefacelift 05 was January, the Facelift 05 (MY2006) was later in the year.
    Last edited by axispower; 07-01-2014 at 01:16 PM.
    K&N Typhoon CAI || Weapon-R Headers + High Flow CAT || APEX'i WS2 catback || Ralco RZ Pulleys || Progress RSB || Alutec FTB || Tein Street Basis || Enkei Lusso 18" x 8" +40
    REFLASHED AUDM ECU

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by axispower View Post
    Only way you'll make enough power to match/surpass a Golf GTI is if you spend minimum 8k on the euro for NA power. Can be done - and it is very cool, but yeah. With that money, expect to make approximately 150kw atw and perhaps 230nm of torque (just from what I've seen I'm pulling those numbers out of my ass).
    If we're talking Mk 5/6 GTi it wont cost you anywhere NEAR $8k.

The yardstick isnt that high.....

CL9 Accord Euro, Manual, Standard (cause Lux is too heavy)
    1400kg
    140kw
    223NM
    0-100kph 7.5-7.8 secs

MK V Golf GTI, Manual
    1350kg
    147kw
    280NM
    0-100kph 7secs

MK VI GTI, Manual
    1360kg
    150kw
    280NM
    0-100kph 7secs

Not much in it, an CL9 with with an Intake can probably match a Mk 5 in peak power

The problem is car behavior, where is GTi's with it's turbo engine has good down low grunt, the K24 is different, it's a revvy thing.

I/H/E, wider rims and a Reflash I reckon you'd be really close to a non-dsg GTi in a straight line

Corners is a different matter, you'll need coilovers, rear sway and some front chassis reinforcement

the problem with the Honda is cost of engine management/tune, entry level costs are high.... so I've been trying to get a cheap(er) reflash happening in the country.....
    Last edited by Fredoops; 07-01-2014 at 07:42 PM.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Good job on wanting to get into the Euro
    Here are the bad parts
    Being a realist here

-Be weary of premature brake pad wear/rotor
    -The cl9 doesn't have thee same amount of oil consumption problem as the cu2
    Still be very cautious of the car's service history
    But there have abeen alot of cases on oil consumption
    Best friend has lost compression in one cylinder - cl9
    -Stay away from the automatic unless you want to deal with a headfcuk in the future

Other than that a good car
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    I'm just looking at the usual bolt on mods and some aftermarket cams, and a bit of dyno tuning (I hear K pro is what I need?)
    Intake (with manifold and larger TB from the V6's if you want)
    Header
    Exhaust
    VTC gear (45 or 50 degree)
    TSX ECU
    Flashpro

Instead of TSX ECU and Flashpro, you can opt for a Haltech stand-alone unit if you're looking at more serious work, but you'll need a new "real" wideband O2 sensor attachment because the wideband O2 sensor on the K24 isnt really wideband....
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    Otherwise just spend $10k and turbo it. You will munch Golf R
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    Golf GTI
    I really cbf with turboing a euro, I just wanted it to accelerate a bit faster if I am to buy one.

it seems i have the potential to be a grown up and a boy racer all at the same time with the euro LOL...somehow the modification bug never disappears.

Another question: where factory xenon lights and sunroof only an option on the lux models? i've looked at some sport models which don't seem to have them. A sport would be ideal, however I would like both factory sunroof and the xenons.

thinking ahead (and I know i'm getting way ahead of myself), if I need to upgrade the standard clutch, do i have options which are easy to drive in traffic (as close to stock as possible) because the missus will need to drive this thing from time to time to the shops and stuff... I can just imagine how some heavy or bitey clutch will go when she is trying to get around in westfield car park hahaha

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    Any K20A clutch can be used but you need to replace the flywheel with a K20A flywheel as well.

If you just want it to accelerate quicker, fit a 4.7 final drive and LSD. It will make all the difference
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    Golf GTI
    k20a clutches are capable of holding more power?

I've looked into the gearbox thing aspect of things, and it seems they are my options (along with dc5 gears?) or to source a type r gearbox.

there's a couple of euros on carsales that have had all that work done already (including the gearbox)... one has a wavetrac LSD and the other has the type r box.

Another question: where factory xenon lights and sunroof only an option on the lux models? i've looked at some sport models which don't seem to have them. A sport would be ideal, however I would like both factory sunroof and the xenons.
    Sunroof and factory xenon headlights are only lux option. You can get aftermarket Xenon lights for the Sport (as well as LED parks, Xenon fogs if youre into that sort of thing) and still looks great.

Aftermarket sunroof however - Ive seen a few in the "post your/a clean euro" threads - and they look like chit to me.
    REFLASHED AUDM ECU