Member Array
    Car:
    88 4WS Prelude

88 Prelude random non-starting

Does this ring any bells with anyone?
    my '88 4WS 2.0i has developed a random restart problem. It will crank to no avail -
    once did it from cold, otherwise 3 x after running for 5-10 mins, turn off and try to restart.
    Somewhere in the distant past (like 30 yrs ago) I vaguely recalled doing this so I tried it again. Works every time. WHY?
    ...pull off spark plug lead, stick screwdriver in plug cap, sit close to earth point and spin motor. Starts straight away. Refit plug cap and away it goes.....
    My theory is that I'm making some part of the HT circuit work harder (making a bigger spark?), which somehow activates everything. Could a coil act like this? I've been reading about igniters in the dizzy but not sure if the gen 3 has such a thing, is that the same as a built-in coil? Any thoughts?

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    Check your main relay, i would take it out and resolder all of the joints.
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    88 4WS Prelude
    ahhhh yes that makes sense...... I did that a while back on my gen 1 Integra thanks to OzHonda forum wonderful instructions.... any idea where it lives in the Prelude?

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    No idea unfortunately. Try to look at parts diagrams, it will give you a good idea of where it is located. I would say most likely underneath the drivers side kick panel and around that area.
    OEM parts whore

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    under the drivers side of the dash

Member Array
    Car:
    88 4WS Prelude
    yay! found it, MUCH easier than on the Integra. As in i didnt have to lie upside down on the drivers seat to reach it...i think it was a combination of relay plus dodgy battery terminal, been ok so far.

Member Array
    Car:
    83, 85 &86 lude
    I swear I saw the title and before I even clicked in it I was like "Main relay" - lol random honda shitness.

You would cry at how many times I've turned up to "ruined" cars friends were buying, stood in front of people and resoldered the main relay, installed new battery and drove away leaving the old owner's jaw on the ground... lol good times.
    1986 JDM DOHC B20A Gold Top Prelude: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...-honda-prelude
    Want JDM? I can source it for you - PM for details

Member Array
    Car:
    88 4WS Prelude
    Yes, the solder quality is an odd thing given the overall build quality of the car. Mines done 280k km and drives brilliantly. The 4WS is really innovative and reliable (although not sure what happens if you smack kerbs with the rear wheels....). only hassles now are aircon and power antenna. I've read somewhere that there is a "spare" antenna connector floating around in the console from the built in rear window antenna. Is that just USA models? I cant find the connector.

Member Array
    Car:
    83, 85 &86 lude
    Hmm - not sure about the spare antenna.

My knowledge on the 3rd gens are a bit hit and miss to be honest.

Have you downloaded the workshop manuals on preludepower? I'm sure they have some diagrams that could assist.
    1986 JDM DOHC B20A Gold Top Prelude: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...-honda-prelude
    Want JDM? I can source it for you - PM for details