Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2003 Jazz

CVT Shudder or not?

Hi,

2003 Jazz with 45000 Kms, I notice from stop taking off when turning or a slight hill such as basement parkings, the car would shudder for a moment then disappears.

Is this a sign of CVT issue or is this normal behaviour when the CVT is trying to engage the first gear?

The previous owner had the car taken for a major service, with the CVT fluid flushed also, however not at a Honda dealership, does the CVT need reprogramming after a flush?

I'm thinking of taking it to Scott's Honda to get the CVT fluid flushed and programmed or would taking it to Hannys performance be the same?, I don't mind spending on it to get it done properly.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    If the car has been serviced at other places other than a honda dealer
    There is a HIGH chance the service centre DID NOT use OEM Honda CVT fluid
    Honda transmission esp their Auto & CVT are VERY picky on the fluid that is used
    So getting it serviced by honda would be a good way to go
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2003 Jazz
    Booked it next week for a CVT flush and reprogramming at Autosports Honda Leichardt. Seems cheaper than Scott's Honda

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    You could do this at home. Which I recommend as the OEM Fluid anit cheap. I would flush it twice to ensure good stuff is in there.

Should go away. If it comes back again, re do.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2003 Jazz
    Quote Originally Posted by amant02 View Post
    You could do this at home. Which I recommend as the OEM Fluid anit cheap. I would flush it twice to ensure good stuff is in there.

Should go away. If it comes back again, re do.

Is the CVT reprogramming required?

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    No, Un plug the drain bolt + re fill bolt. Drain the fluid out, re fill. Take for a 10 minute drive and repeat. Cycle thru all the 7 gears.

Tools required, socket 1/4'+ 17mm + jacks and jack stands. I think its 1/4' and 17mm from memory. If you have a normal tool set u wont have any issues. May as well do an engine oil + filter change while ur slaving under the car.

Also dispose of the old oil at any mechanics for free. Keep the tree huggers happy.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    My wife's jazz was serviced by Honda from new. Still didn't stop the gearbox being replaced under warranty @ 70k
    Never missed a service and she drives 'like a girl'.

I took it to service and noticed the oil was not the oem cvt oil (u can tell from the colour)
    Seems Honda still puts normal auto honda oil in the jazz at dealerships.

U can't trust the dealerships they r dodgier than normal mechanics!!!
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    Flush with oem cvt oil, if it doesn't work they now make a cvt additive, can't rem wat it's called but sort out a friends cvt when they were told it was a new gb to fix the shudder
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2003 Jazz
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
    My wife's jazz was serviced by Honda from new. Still didn't stop the gearbox being replaced under warranty @ 70k
    Never missed a service and she drives 'like a girl'.

I took it to service and noticed the oil was not the oem cvt oil (u can tell from the colour)
    Seems Honda still puts normal auto honda oil in the jazz at dealerships.

U can't trust the dealerships they r dodgier than normal mechanics!!!

Thanks.

What is the OEMC CVT oil colour? I may purchase some to do the flush myself next time every 20,000Kms

I'm hoping it will last up to 100,000 Kms, or am I dreaming with the first gen Jazz CVT

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    My jazz is the 1st gen. No shudder at all. We do the servicing at home for every 10K. All Major is done at my mechanics.

My car is currently on 106,xxx KM

She will make it with care.
    Last edited by amant02; 22-01-2014 at 10:10 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Sorry OP. I had given you wrong info.

There is no refill bolt on the Jazz.

U just need to drain out the old stuff via drain bolt which uses 1/4' driver and use the drip stick hole to refill.

I cut approx 1/2 meter hose, attached it to a funnel by warming up the hose using a lighter. You can also use boiling hot water to make the hose flexible.

Just keep on checking if have put enough in there. Specially after a drive.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2003 Jazz
    Shudder/vibration has disappeared after the CVT flush from Autosports honda, cost was $290. Pretty happy with the service !

They also informed me of a headlight wiring issue recall that they will do for free once they get the part.

I will do the CVT flush in the future and minor services, but will definitely take it back there for a full service.