Member Array
    Car:
    integra

Sold a car months ago - but still in my name

Sold a car a few months ago but the car is still in my name

I dont have a formal notice of disposal (but i do have a written reciept that is signed with all notice of disposal details).

Anyway i havent copped much other than $10 is tolls (no biggie)

But not happy the fact he hasnt transferred (though i made it a deal)

Anyway im sure the RTA will accept my reciept

But my question is, Am i legally allowed to cancel the plates?

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    if it's in your ownership then why not? you'ld have to return the plates though i'd imagine... Good luck with that.

also why didn't you do the transfer forms?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R
    if he doesnt return the plates, cops will pick it up since they have the automatic rego scanning cameras in those new police cars they have.

Member Array
    Car:
    integra
    i didnt have the top part of the rego paper (still gave him the bottom part filled out)

he was a pom that didnt have an aussie license - luckily he came with a mate that had a car in his name with rta papers - so i sold his mate teh car and wrote down a reciept with his rta customer number - which took a bit of arguing (buyer just wasnted to put his england license details) hence why i dont really feel bad about cancelling the plates (as if i did the sale as wanted i could be in a lot of trouble)

As for plates they would be considered missing/stolen

On the phone to to RTA to confirm its not a mistake from their end (have had an issue in the past where a car was in both mine and buyers name)
    and to see the process and if they would accept my reciept

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    dude, you could of just done it online, a notice of disposal.

Member Array
    Car:
    integra
    ok well just found out i legally am not allowed to cancel the plates (although i guess i could just say its stolen - dodgy) - though maybe a better idea than being done for armed hold up :P

as for notice of disposal apparanly it doesnt even have to be signed - so they said if i had the details to just fill one out and send it into rta.

pretty messed up when dealing with international buyers as if they dont have rta customer number - and dont transfer it , you would be the last responsible owner

Quote Originally Posted by destrukshn View Post
    dude, you could of just done it online, a notice of disposal.

Exactly- this should of been done quickly and easily straight after they drove the car away from you,

What a silly thread.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R
    Should have just found another buyer lol

Member Array
    Car:
    CP2 / EG5
    LOL, as if not submit the notice of disposal.

You're lucky he didnt use hte car for a robbery.

You cnanot cancel the plates unless you return them back to the registry or the car is reported as stolen.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    lol which is why I do a notice of disposal online as soon as I sell the car.
    Just incase they run red lights/speed cameras
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Call the buyer and advise him that he has 1 week to transfer the car under his name. By law it should be done within 14 days of purchase. If the buyer doesn't cooperate, threaten him by advising your gonna report the car as stolen. Should get his attention. By law your able to do this, I've been advised by RTA that we are allowed to do this. I had the same issue, but tolls added up close to $300 for me and multiple trips to get it Signed off by a JP and I called the buyer multiple times.

Member Array
    Car:
    integra
    as mentioned before - i got no issues - i had all the details and had to go rta yesterday so handed it over and they dated the sale as of when it occured a few months ago

just put it up as originally the buyer didnt have any details other than his UK license

luckily he brought a mate who also only had a uk license but had the rego papers to his car in his name - and after a bit off hesitation agreed to have the plate transfer in his name (as he had a rta customer)'

in my case hope the buyer now gets pulled over and fined for not doing the right thing

but in the case i put the actual buyers details (according to the rta is fine) and he did something like a armed robbery etc
    id be f*****