Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    s2k

Rear diff leaking !! Need advices

Hi guys
    I was noticed my rear diff is leaking today when i wash the car , after i jacked the car up, its looks like the oil had spilled out from the fill plug bolt which facing toward the rear bumper , i had checked the drain bolt properly and there were no leak at all at the drain bolt which iam very worry about ! So my question now is does it leak because of any overfilled case ?? I just did my diff serviced about last 2000 km and my mechanic seem like he had pumped the full amount of 1 liter of oil into the fill plug until its spilled out instead of 0.7 liters as recommended by Honda !!

So after i took the car to the work shop today,my mechanic was just clean all the oil leak and i saw the leak seems like comes from the fill plug, so he unbolt the fill plug and there were a lot of oil left in the diff as its spilling out when he unbolt the fill plug,then he put everything bolt on back to normal and said its just like because of an overfilled oil into the diff from last serviced !

After that i just drive the car to work and come back home about 300 km and as i can see so far there are no further leak to the diff for now !

So just need some genuine advices about this happened . Is that normal and just becaused of an overfilled or there is something else i need to check out to my diff ?

Helps will appreciated !

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Even if the diff is overfilled I wouldn't think it would leak from the fill plug. Fill plug should be tight and use an aluminium washer.

There is a vent on top of the diff but it would have to be pretty full to leak out of there.

But if the level is now good and the fill plug properly tightened you should not have issues.

Fill plug won't leak if it's overfilled.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2k
    So its mean there are leak from somewhere else ??
    But how come i saw its leak from the fill plug when we checked up ???
    And its not leaking now !!!

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Hmm, just thought of how you could get a leak at the fill plug. 8(

If you over tighten and crack the diff cover...

Member Array
    Car:
    s2k
    Are they any chances of the heat ?
    Because it was around 35-39 degree on the last few days,do you think the oil gna expand in hot weather ?

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    not that much.
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Diffs get much hotter from friction than ambient.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2k

Rear diff leaking !! Need advices

Hmmm but haven't see any further oil drop on the ground atm !! Should i check it again this week or not ?

Keep checking, could have made it too tight and cracked the cover slightly. Should be ok though.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2k
    What about if the cover cracked ? Can i just do anything about it ??

if it's not leaking anymore don't worry about it.

monitor the situation and if there is further leaking investigate further.

Start with bolts, then move to other areas. Cracked diff case is unlikely but possible...