Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Type R Replacement Front and Rear Brake pads

Hi Guys,

first post after I got a quote from the dealer doing a service today, has sad Front/Rear brake pads/rotors need to be replaced, I won't say the exact cost but it is some just shy of $2000, which kind of took me back a bit.

I have spoken to CRS Automotive and the price they are telling me is a considerable amount cheaper.

So just wondering how much difference in quality is there between Genuine Honda Parts and other parts ? I need to call back CRS, but would they use Genuine, does it really matter that much ?

Any other places I should contact ?

Any particular brands I should look at to consider other than the genuine parts ?

cheers
    Michael

rotors dba $400 for a set of front, $360 for a set of rear, pads about $300 in total, get the parts, put them in yourself (if not find a garage that can put them in for cheap, time takes is about 1-2 hours) so 200-300 bucks for labour.
    W.P. 1.10

Thanks for the reply

Yeah I won't be doing it myself (LOL), just one of those people, better to be left to someone who knows what they are doing, cool, sounds good and these "dba" rotors, you would consider them to be on par, not quite as good or better than "Honda Genuine Parts" ?

So to put it in perspective, I don't go racing this car and slamming the brakes on while doing you know 180 km/h expecting to stop in 2 seconds, would I really notice the difference in using supposedly lesser parts than genuine parts ?

cheers
    Michael

Definitely get OEM pads front and rear.
    You can use DBA , RDA or other aftermarket solid replacement rotors for a considerable less price than quoted

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Rotors should not cost a lot to get reasonable quality blanks. - $2000 is highway robbery.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Thank you all very much for the feedback, re-assuring me a little bit more, I am just struggling to justify that cost and I will be asking them today what their warranty is on genuine parts and if it is the same as after market
    parts I will be giving them an earful, after the whole, "Well they are manufactured better, contain better material, bla bla bla"

Member Array
    Car:
    FD1-RR 2.7
    DBA do a budget rotor which should be < $200 for the fronts and < $200 for the rears, Pads ya choice is end less !! expect to pay < $200 for the F & R Pads. So all up Im guess < $600 + Labour, may aswell flush the brake fluid. All up $700-800.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    'Better' is a subjective term.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

The chaps on civinfo say the Redstuffs are good with the FN2
    http://ebcbrakes.com/product/redstuff-brake-pads/

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5.9, EF9, EL2
    sounds like standard 'Service Adviser' talk to me.. I'd take to an independent mechanic you trust and ask them to inspect the brakes if you think there is anything actually wrong with them. Are they squealing / shuddering / fading etc ?

Service Advisers have target 'up-sell' amounts to meet per every 'standard service'. If they ever tell you your fuel injectors are clogged and need a carbon treatment.. walk out the door immediately. the Brake rotors are another common up-sell, also 'Transmission flush' is generally only necessary at Service Book Recommended intervals (unless track or spirited driving etc.).. always check what is in your Service Book and if they try and push you into anything else, always be sceptical.

FYi, $630 SPOON Brake pads Front and Rear for FN2 shipped

It took me completely by surprise, I felt nothing at all wrong with the brakes that was partly why I was taken aback, I was like what, brakes need replacing, WHat the! which again I don't mind, but I also don't like being taken advantage of, guy had such a shit attitude as well.

So I looked on DBA site and the reason why I was asking about warranty with them was that on the DBA site it mentioned a 12 month warranty against manufacturing defects, when I asked at Honda it was, "There is not warranty on wearing parts". Confusing, seem to be going through a phase of just about everything I own at the moment needs money replacing things So just not willy nilly spending.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    DBA's warranty is against warping and cracking failure. the guy probably didn't understand what you might've been referring to, and assumed you meant wrranty against thinning out.

You'll never feel anything wrong with your brakes even if they are too thinned out, you might hear the pads running low but that's about it
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC