Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    vtack+non-vtak

K24 I/H/E bolt on efficiency

Hi guys,

Long story short, car has past 200,000kms and I have the average compression of a average motor of this age should have which is about 150psi with little variance in all 4 cylinders which is 30psi lower than what i would have hoped as i was going to boost but have changed approach after that rude awakening.

The car is a Daily driver and with my busy schedule I don't really prefer going ahead with building a short block on the side while waiting for the engine to give out after a short period of boost.

So im thinking to commiting to a moddest N/A build starting with bolt-ons and a ems tuned accordingly.

Before I waste any more of my mechanics precious time i thought i'd ask this forum a question:

-Although engine wise its running pretty evenly, would the N/A build be fairly weak? How would the engine respond to the I/H/E combo tuned?

Currently have

-CAI
    -Hytech replica 4-2-1 Headers + CAT to match.

Thinking about further improving the intake with a different manifold and throttle body as well. Also considering upgrading the vtc to suit.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

this is interesting, a cheap alternative to a full blown k20a swap. what are you likley to see on a stock engine with boltons (no cams but maybe vtc gear? whats it worth??) tuned. paired with a type r trans i imagine it would be quite a capable street/track setup. i dont know much about k series but i swapped a stock b20b8 into my ek, stock intake,with toda rep headers -catback and paired with a b16 box and s300. i much prefer this over the b16 for daily duties.

theres no replacement for displacement.

Member Array
    Car:
    klungemobile
    Check out Vvvtec's build thread.

Stock K24, type r vtc and oil pump, I/H/E, 150kwatw.
    We're doing it for the children.

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    rrc, 3.5" intake, 70mm t/b, 3" zorst, 50vtc, type r oil pump, dc2.2, kpro, 4.7 fd hd clutch and dc5r flywheel

even with 160 atw will still be fairly slow for how much money this would cost lol
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Yh you will be fine m8

Just swap gearbok over as well
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Member Array
    Car:
    vtack+non-vtak
    Thank you all for the replies.

Just throwing it out there, lets say instead i wanted to go back to my original plans of supercharging the vehicle. Might not get enough info in the N/A section (sorry mods if im derailing from my own topic). Whats the chances of the motor blowing with lets say... a little bit under 200kw atw on a roots blower setup?

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    Why would it blow up? If you get a good tune you will have nothing to worry about. Thats the way to go imo for a big heavy family car. would make a good peppy cruiser, and you'd surprise a few k swap cars lol.
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2 Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapdouchebag View Post
    Thank you all for the replies.

Just throwing it out there, lets say instead i wanted to go back to my original plans of supercharging the vehicle. Might not get enough info in the N/A section (sorry mods if im derailing from my own topic). Whats the chances of the motor blowing with lets say... a little bit under 200kw atw on a roots blower setup?
    Your chances of blowing your engine up at a little bit under 200kw at the wheels are actually better than average.
    Roots blower = massive inefficiency = very hot air induction = low power = oooooh try a little harder tuning the turd to please the customer = KaaaaBooooM!
    Just sayin....

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    Must spread rep before giving it to Adrian again!
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    FD1-RR 2.7
    lol love the generalized statement ' Your chances of blowing your engine up at a little bit under 200kw at the wheels are actually better than average ' WTF Adrian, so its worse than 50/50 !! hahaha You keep on delivering !!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
    lol love the generalized statement ' Your chances of blowing your engine up at a little bit under 200kw at the wheels are actually better than average ' WTF Adrian, so its worse than 50/50 !! hahaha You keep on delivering !!

If BYP said the same , you would of taken it as fact :0)

To OP - it also depends on what chassis your motor is in - remember a euro isn't going to feel results anywhere as effectively as a stripped EG or teg.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD1-RR 2.7
    Benjammin what you talk about ? I see a ridiclous statement that you have a better than average ( yeah I did Industrial Mathetmatics at Uni ) implying that the OP will have better than 50/50 chance of blowing his shit up.

So Benjammin do you really believe any boosted K24 producing more than 200kw atw has a 50/50 chance of blowing up ? you're a goose ! lol