Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    Civic Type R (FN2R)

FN2R Injen CAI Review

Hey guys

A couple of weeks ago I purchased and installed an Injen CAI for my FN2R and thought I would write a review on my opinion/experience I have had with the cold air intake on my FN2R.

Just a quick side note, the Injen CAI was installed on my stock FN2R, therefore this review compares the Injen CAI against the stock induction of the FN2R.

Why Injen?

I spent a lot of time researching induction kits and what they had to offer the FN2R in terms of performance and sound. After a few weeks of researching; I ended up narrowing it down to three options: Injen CAI, GruppeM or the HKS Racing induction kit.

The HKS is a SRI (short-ram-intake) which replaces the stock piping with a metal pipe and has a HKS mushroom filter at the end of it. The reason I opted against the HKS Racing Induction Kit is due to the fact I have heard and read (both online and from other car enthusiasts) that the HKS mushroom filter is quite poor at filtering, which would cause a lot of dirt (among other things) to get through it. Furthermore, there is no heat-shield with this induction kit, meaning the induction kit is exposed to the heat of the engine and therefore will suffer heatsoak and potentially cause a loss in power.

So that scraped HKS off the list…

GruppeM… the holy grail of intakes… just didn’t do it for me on the FN2R.

Apparently the GruppeM had a decent KW increase (although that is debatable). The GruppeM is again a short-ram-intake which uses the stock piping connecting to a K&N pod filter which is enclosed in carbon fibre and has an under-bonnet carbon fibre ‘scoop’. The sound produced by the GruppeM induction kit on the FN2R is comparable to a stock FN2R, which is unlike their induction kits for the EP3 and so on which sound insane! Each to their own however I did not personally want to spend over $1000AUD on carbon fibre and a K&N pod…

So that left me with the Injen CAI. The Injen CAI has a 90° bend from the TB connected to a polished metal pipe followed by another 90° bend which then connects to an Injen pod filter which sits in-front of the passenger splash guard of the FN2R. I've read several good things about them on the other Type R variations and thought I'd give it a shot

Installation...

I took my FN2R to my mechanic for this installation. The underside splash guard was detached in order to remove the stock air box and related piping of the FN2R. (Note: there are some tricky screws!)

After the factory induction kit had been removed, the passenger side front tire was removed fitting process begun. All parts are an absolute perfect fit; the bends cleared everything by 1-4mm which was perfect engineering on Injen’s side of things.

However the only hiccup my mechanic and I had faced was that the mounting bracket which acts as a damper for the pod filter (in-front of the splash guard) would not be able to be attached to any of the existing mounting points with enough room to actually have the pod filter attached to the end of it. My mechanic had came to the conclusion it was impossible for the bracket to be mounted to the FN2R in its standard form, so we made same calls and the people we spoke to were unsure of where to mount it as well, so my mechanic manipulated the bracket in the only way possible that would allow this CAI to fit.

When installing the Injen CAI, it's a good idea to cut the cable ties that hold the MAF sensor cable in place, this eliminates any ‘pull’ on the cable and gives it more slack to move.

Once the whole thing is in, it’s just a matter of tightening it all up and sealing both the underside guard and the splash guard, meaning the pod sits in the splash guard (i.e. protected from rain, water and hydro-lock).

Installation Images...

Stock FN2R Engine Bay

Engine Bay + Injen CAI (including a quick engine-bay clean)

From the TB

Injen Piping

Performance...

Unfortunately I did not dyno my FN2R before installing the Injen CAI, however I am planning on dyno’ing it in the upcoming months so once that is done I will edit this section with the figures received from a FN2R with only an Injen CAI.

Upon first hopping in after installing it, there were no rattles which is always a good sign. Also, there was no ‘flatspot’ throughout the rev range (which others have mentioned with other induction kits available, excl. GruppeM).

Because I haven’t dyno’d my car either before and after, I can only talk in terms of feelings (compared to the stock FN2R – which is something I hate doing, however…)

The car feels amazing, it’s almost like it has a new found sense of urgency when you put your foot down. It feels like there is an increase in power all throughout the rev range, especially towards the higher end of the range.

That said, any increase in HP that would be achieved from an induction kit would be hard-to-feel however the car does feel like it ‘pulls harder’ (always a good thing ).

Sound...

The sound produced by the Injen CAI on my FN2R is an incredible improvement over the standard sound of the FN2R, it is a lot more throaty and deep! It goes to show how drastically an induction kit can change the sound of our cars.

At quarter throttle, the CAI sounds slightly louder than stock. However with the more throttle you apply - the more this intake screams! At WOT (wide-open-throttle) this CAI is extremely loud (think: waking up the neighbours) and really does emphasize the VTEC crossover point, all the way through to redline.

That said, it's almost like a switch, if drive relatively soft-footed your car will sound normal however upon twitching your right foot and this thing will scream like no tomorrow!

Videos...

I decided to do some filming to give you guys a better understanding of how the Injen CAI is compared to the stock induction of the FN2R:

MMike's FN2R in Stock Form - This video is a compilation video I put together while my car was in it's stock form.

MMike's FN2R with Injen CAI - As above, featuring the Injen CAI. As a result of filming this portion of video (which consists of predominately VTEC driving) - my hearing was shot for a few hours!

Conclusion...

In conclusion the Injen CAI is a great induction kit for the FN2R. Price wise it sits mid-range and should set you back approximately $500 from JDMYard which is good value for money when compared to the other induction kits I mentioned earlier.

From what I've noticed there has also been a slight increase in fuel efficiency from what I've gathered from my FN2R, although this is also dependent upon how you're driving.

Personally speaking I wouldn't bother with any SRI for the FN2R, as the majority of them are affected by heatsoak and contain flat-spots (from what I've read). Therefore my advice to the other FN2R owners would be to seek out a CAI (be it Injen or CPL for example).

I hope this has been somewhat helpful for those wanting an insight into how the Injen CAI is on the FN2R and if you've made it this far, thanks for reading

If you've got any questions or queries, feel free to ask

Regards,
    Michael
    Last edited by MMike; 16-09-2009 at 05:17 PM.
    Thinking about intakes for your FN2R? Read my Injen CAI review here! // YouTube Page

Nice! I want one. No really I do, I just need check the money situation at the moment. Saw the vids too, nice civic man
    Last edited by veetek; 06-09-2009 at 09:40 PM.

VOLTEX Array
    Car:
    Bus Route 703
    naice review... taught me something. in the future im not going to get a GruppeM intake. i dont justify using a k&n filter and oem piping for 1.5k... i thought it was a full intake replacement

can you make another video stock vs yours?
    because your videos didnt really convince me and it looked nothing has changed with performance.
    FN2 - FD2 - EGH2B(SOON)

Ozhonda Trader Array
    Car:
    EGK24A
    Very nice review Mike

We will do a before and after dyno run on our own Dyno dynamics and sort out the lower bracket mounting.
    JDMyard Pty Ltd
    25 / 317-321 Woodpark Rd , Smithfield , NSW 2164. Contact : 02 97572364
    Email : yonas@jdmyard.com , Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/JDMYard
    www.JDMyard.com

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    Civic Type R (FN2R)
    Quote Originally Posted by veetek View Post
    Nice! I want one. No really I do, I just need check the money situation at the moment. Saw the vids too, nice civic man
    Thanks a lot veetek! Yeah, in my opinion they are definitely worth the money

Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    naice review... taught me something. in the future im not going to get a GruppeM intake. i dont justify using a k&n filter and oem piping for 1.5k... i thought it was a full intake replacement
    Thanks Stig! I agree with you on that too!

Quote Originally Posted by bodaas View Post
    can you make another video stock vs yours?
    because your videos didnt really convince me and it looked nothing has changed with performance.
    Unfortunately I can't make another video of my FN2R in stock form as I don't plan on removing the Injen CAI anytime soon. The before/after videos aren't really meant to show performance because unless they're 1/4 mile videos, it'd be hard to see an increase in performance on a video. It's more for those wanting to see the change in sound from before/after the installation of the Injen CAI.

Quote Originally Posted by EG5 View Post
    Very nice review Mike

We will do a before and after dyno run on our own Dyno dynamics and sort out the lower bracket mounting.
    Thank you Yonas, appreciated! I look forward to seeing the dyno runs from you (make sure you post them up)

Also, if I get a chance to get behind my splash guard anytime soon, I'll send you a photo of how the bracket was manipulated to fit the Injen pod.
    Last edited by MMike; 07-09-2009 at 11:19 PM.
    Thinking about intakes for your FN2R? Read my Injen CAI review here! // YouTube Page

Member Array
    Car:
    EG4
    good stuff mike
    thoroughly enjoyed the review and the videos
    i wanna hear my car from outside now !! =D

Great Review... I bought a Injen Cai for my bb6 lude some time ago from jdmyard and i know exactly where ur comming from about the performance and feeling ... P.s Love those civics

i am not interested in feeling and sound , what i want is a real increase performance or improve acceleration lol

Quote Originally Posted by MMike View Post
    Unfortunately I can't make another video of my FN2R in stock form as I don't plan on removing the Injen CAI anytime soon. The before/after videos aren't really meant to show performance because unless they're 1/4 mile videos, it'd be hard to see an increase in performance on a video. It's more for those wanting to see the change in sound from before/after the installation of the Injen CAI.
    what i mean if you got friend driving another stock fn that would be helpfull and make video of it
    stock vs yours with injen filter on
    Last edited by bodaas; 08-09-2009 at 01:10 AM.
    FN2 - FD2 - EGH2B(SOON)

MMIKE i have also that intake in my car. that intake is a lot better than SRI or GrouppeM

This is my dyno run before/after CAI. Before CAI i had scoopin + cone filter inside the stock air box!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flashpronuno_vs_czwartek.gif 
Views:	1944 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	11857   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	937 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	11858   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	2651 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	11859   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	2046 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	11860  

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    Civic Type R (FN2R)
    Quote Originally Posted by MM89 View Post
    good stuff mike
    thoroughly enjoyed the review and the videos
    i wanna hear my car from outside now !! =D
    Thanks Mike! Well whenever you're free, just message me, I've got the video camera & tripod waiting!

Quote Originally Posted by NaChOs View Post
    Great Review... I bought a Injen Cai for my bb6 lude some time ago from jdmyard and i know exactly where ur comming from about the performance and feeling ... P.s Love those civics
    Thanks NaChOs! I've always loved the BB6 preludes, very nice car!

Quote Originally Posted by bodaas View Post
    i am not interested in feeling and sound , what i want is a real increase performance or improve acceleration lol

what i mean if you got friend driving another stock fn that would be helpfull and make video of it
    stock vs yours with injen filter on
    I don't have any close friends who drive any FN2Rs. If you're after performance figures, the post above this one (from mw1978) has some dyno sheets attached and EG5 (JDMYard) mentioned they will be dyno'ing their FN2R before/after installation, so we'll have to wait for those

Quote Originally Posted by mw1978 View Post
    MMIKE i have also that intake in my car. that intake is a lot better than SRI or GrouppeM

This is my dyno run before/after CAI. Before CAI i had scoopin + cone filter inside the stock air box!
    I agree! Thank you for posting up the dyno sheets mw1978! Your previous induction was pretty nice! You're from Europe yeah? I remember reading your posts over at the CivInfo forum!
    Last edited by MMike; 08-09-2009 at 12:28 PM.

Mike yes im from europe (Poland)

Guys CAI is the best intake for CTR. Gruppem doesnt work in FN2R. My close frend from civinfo DawidS made a dyno and ZERO gaints.

Guys i had before CAI 5 intakes. From USA (8th civic forum) x intake with moded MAF, custom SRI , scoopin ect
    Only CAI works!!!