Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GruppeM style intake for Cl9

Okay so before everyone laughs i am currently in the early stages of attempting to make a Gruppe M style intake for my Accord euro CL9..

This came on the back of a few mods i have done to bring the car back to a healthy state from nearly 200xxxkms of hard work.

Pictures and more details to follow. Will update daily

So I've fiber glassed my original paper mâché mold and am waiting for it to dry... Going to try and upload some progress photos now..

Okay tonight at work when I figure out how to

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    So where is this paper mache/fiberglass intake you talk of. Very interested to see.

getting a photobucket account now mate try and have them uploaded within the hour!
    Last edited by thomwootton19; 18-02-2014 at 10:46 PM.

So heres the exposed pod and space i have to work with.

The original airbox and resonator have been removed (there are other DIY's on this) and the plan is to make a nice big airbox to separate the filter from the heat of the engine bay whilst channelling some of that cool air.

wish me luck!

Last edited by thomwootton19; 18-02-2014 at 10:46 PM.

First port of call was to mock up some space guidelines with foam i had laying around, foam is a great way of making a basic set of shapes which are easy to alter! heres a very quick look at what it looked like!

Next i pushed some chicken wire (ideally i would have had a smaller hole size but this is a budget DIY!) into the rough shape i had made out of foam and went for a test refit..

its very malleable to was also easy to make work.

N.B- for all first timers, make sure you keep in mind when making casts that casting the inside make it smaller and the outside makes it larger... make sense? im going to cover the outside of the chicken wire as its smaller than the original foam mock up!

heres a lame photo of some wire...

So here is the rough "papier mache" mold that i'm going to be basing the real thing off, obviously its not trimmed or anything nor sitting flush but all this can be fixed with my advanced fiber glassing skills (read: i can' t fiberglass)..
    the plan is to glass it and add seals to be purchased at a further date to seal it against the hood seal and intake pipe.

Okayyy i have fiberglassed the the final stucture!

Its just like paper mache just much more sticky and messy! anyone else doing this make sure you wear gloves and follow instructions carefully!

i used a $30 fiberglass kit "Diggers" brand which was perfect for this size job.

Used all the resin and only have a tiny bit of matting left. To this point the cost of the job has been $30 and i envisage spending probably $10 more on seals and miscellaneous things. will post pics tomorrow as i forgot to take photos of it!

Updates to follow

Here is a photo of the final box!

Happy overall after sanding/painting/sealing it should be good!

Any questions please ask, will be sanding and such in the next few days

any replies welcome

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    that looks like newspaper wrapped in glad wrap
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC