Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    datsun 200b

Turbo+rev limiter question

G'day all

I've been researching and watching videos of people thrashing their cars, most of the video with turbo honda's they hit the limiter like a rabbit on heat,

For example , first gear wheel spin, hit limiter for 2 seconds and then into 2nd gear wheel spin sitting on limiter and so on

Would smashing the limiter be harmful or bad? Cause I'm about to start my project boosting my ek4, and watching all these videos with people smashing their rev limiters like its nothing

Hope I made sense, it's hard to describe this sorta thing.

Kenny
    VTEC+Turbo=dirty underpants

Member Array
    Car:
    FD1-RR 2.7
    most likely they have an aftermarket ECU which allows them to set up a much lower rev limiter for 1st gear. I have my launch control set at 3000rpm, so I can hold the clutch in, stick it in 1st and put my foot flat to the floor with the throttle, car then wont rev over 3k til it gained complete traction. I've also lowered my Rev limit so I dont mind banging 2nd hard either.

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    There is also the progressive soft rev limiter in the hondata which is cool too.. read up on it on the hondata webpage
    Light up with Lyle - Electrical / Communications / Instrumentation

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Kenny wayyyyyyyyy too many factors to consider as to why they wheel spin in first an 2nd gear, but id say its the tire they use and the road condition its happening on...

Forget launch control, as long as u know ur car inside out, and know how to drive, u shouldnt really need to resort to launch control, cool factor, but how many times are u gonna use it?

Bashing on the limiter isnt too harmful so long as ur not constantly on the red line, all comes down to the driver

A well setup turbo civic shouldnt wheel spin like crazy, it should hook up and pull, last thing u want is to wheel spin an get no where lol
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    ED/EG5/EP3/JAZZ
    OR overeager teenagers that can't drive!

I never hit my rev limiter

Most of the time its a bad driver and any time spent on the limiter is wasting valuable time then they should be shifting lol

As Lyle said, setups for traction or launch control can be prone hitting the limiter and unavoidable

Rev limiters protect your motor so its much better hearing it then not hearing it hahah
    161.4KW ATW Tuned By TODA
    EG5 JDM B16A SiR-II TURBO

13.28@106.6mph 2.117 60ft On RE001

Member Array
    Car:
    datsun 200b
    thanks for the repsonse boys!

I'm old now and sometimes i don't understand those over eager teenagers too luke

reason why i'm asking is i'm going boost, watching all these videos of boosted honda's.

all i see if them hitting limiter scavenging for traction, with my stock ek4 and ek9, traction was never an issue
    So yeah, with a turbo honda, hitting the limiter, will that slowly kill the engine? my engine will be stuffed with forged internals with stock sleeves (if that helps)

kenny

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    i have a turbo dc2.
    i have to stay feather on the limiter on partial throttle a bit before on 2nd gear to build up speed in 2nd gear before i shift, or it bogs.. and sometimes 3rd gear too.
    lol
    i also have a built motor, and i have run into no problems here.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    rem that turbo wears your motor faster. Hitting over the rev limiter just wears it down more.
    Its always best to stay within the rev limits, your tuner should be able to set this up for you.
    My boosted ek4 had the same prob, but i had the cut-off at 8,200 so it was all good.
    Being a FWD makes it hard to get traction.
    Its been a while since i launched a FWD, diff story now with the 4WD ;p.
    That's also why i parted the ek4 and brought an Evo9. Its just a different class. But it is $$$.

Ek4 - 172kw atw, Evo9 - 285kw atw...... says it all

P.S John your one of the last i've seen still with their turbo honda!. Luke's gone and back again......

Maybe i should boost my Jazz.....
    Last edited by Limbo; 23-04-2014 at 05:32 PM.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    datsun 200b
    But in saying the class is different

If you lined up you ek4 and the Evo, wouldn't that be a good and close race due to the civic being lighter then the 4 door Evo?

I've just seen so many sub 300/400hp civic giving evo's and sti's a spanking

Also thanks for the response guys, when I get the car tuned I'll ask the tuner to set an appropriate rev limiter /cutoff
    Was just worried if I keep hitting that limiter scrambling for traction that I'll ruin such a $$$ build

I'm also trying to shoot 400-450hp atw with this setup
    Only thing that'll be standard is the sleeves (yanks do it all day and night) so I thought I'd try and achieve the same (with a capable tuner and running on e85)

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    yes dude, still running around in my turbo honda, and still playing with it. lol.
    been in plenty of other turbo cars, and nothing just doens't quite compare
    boost it already, just for fun lol bring it back to haks to make the manifold. lol.

what motor will you be running?

i'm currently running on standard sleeves on a b18c2 340kw atw which equates too approx 550hp atw on 98 fuel, beening running like this for the past 6months or so, no issues.

Member Array
    Car:
    datsun 200b
    It's interesting

You get 40%of the people telling you do it, you won't regret it.
    60% say don't because you'll end up blowing the motor

But the 60% percent have never owned one or attempted to turbo one

I've always wanted to do it, and I'm currently research every single grey area so I can pursue on the project

I've been researching 3 hours a day for the past 3 weeks, and every day, I'm adding one parts or two, and dam the list does get big

Would someone recommend low comp high boost or high comp low boost? This will also be a daily driven car and I'd like to run a turbo or boost pressure that accommodates turbo efficiency

Ps. Although I don't condone street racing, I'm currently building this car for the drag strip, at least once a month
    Only cars I have in the crosshairs are evo's and sti's (some new v8 holdens and turbo fords!)

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    you won't regret it.
    I've built mine on approx 9.0 comp.
    daily driven. safe, so safe run bigger boost.
    all depends on tune though.
    running a gtx3071 with a tial .82 rear housing.
    a touch laggy. but great top end.
    all depends on gear ratios too.
    too much research can do your head in as everyone has a different opinion.

what motor are you building?